Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you think I can do with this driveline.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riseabove_xxx, Feb 26, 2012.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I bought a 1950 Chevy with this straight 6 in it. I have no use for the motor, trans, driveshaft and rear end. The motor seems to have a tag on it from something... maybe it got rebuilt? The motor does turn over by hand. I want to sell it but I have no clue what to sell it for or even ask.

What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

If it's a 216, which would have been the original engine, it has a low-pressure, splash lube oiling system, which most people try to get away from. If it's a later 235, which was a common replacement, it will have a high pressure full lube system, which is much more desirable. If it's a 235 and runs, you can probably get $200 - $300 for it. The tranny looks to be a cast-iron powerglide. It's of value to someone who wants one, but those people are few and far between...it would be mostly for an accurate restoration. I'm guessing you might be able to get $200 for it.

Assuming the rear end is an original rear end for the powerglide, it's got 3:55 gears, and it's a direct swap in for a 4:11 rear found in all Chevy torque tube cars with manual transmissions, not sure of the years, but probably from the 40s through the 50s when they went to an open driveline. That rear end will be desirable for someone who wants to keep the original torque tube but quickly and cheaply upgrade the gearing to make the car highway usable. I did the very same swap on my '51 Fleetline, and I paid $200 for a complete rear end.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

Helps alot, I appreciate it alot.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The engine pictured is a 235 (side cover is 'short', does not extend up the side of the head), which was standard on Powerglide equipped Chevys starting with the intro of PG in 1950. Stick shift models got 216's thru 1952. The 235's, like the 216's, were babbited rods with dipper system lubrication until 1953 models when they got full pressure lube and insert bearings. 1953 stick shift still had dippers. '54 all were full pressure lube.

While that is what was original equipment for your car, it is possible your 235 could be a full pressure lube version since it is quite obviously a rebuilt engine, very possibly an exchange engine, and may have been updated in the process. The safest bet however, is to assume it is a dipper/babbit engine until proven otherwise.

Ray

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I can see the oil distrubution plate under the oil filter so it looks like a dipper 235.