Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you listen to in your garage?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 41 C28, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Deuces

Deuces

I say "RIGHT ON" to both songs!!!!.....:cool::)

Thank you Captain!!!!!......;)

chryslerfan55 and captaintaytay like this.
  2. Mostly punk/hardcore or alt country.
    Here lately, it’s been podcast.
    The Kustom Couple
    Bomb City Blog
    Wheels of Confusion

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-12_4-44-3.png

Hello,

It all started with a cool sound system and speakers for our little apartment. But as we developed an admiration for the rock and roll sounds coming from the cool bands, our LP album collection grew. We started enjoying the sounds of a group called Traffic.

Traffic was an English rock band formed in April 1967 with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. Their sounds were perfect for the ideology of the times. The mantra was street smarts, question everything, and doing your own thing, despite what others want you to do with your life.

It certainly was a time of growing up. Confused at first, but it all began to make sense. The words to most of this groups songs came on like "real life" talking to us through our ears. Those 15 inch bass speakers and 6 inch metal horn tweeters made it real.

Jnaki

For the first time since we started listening to rock and roll, the words began to make sense. The sounds coming from our “newish” powered speakers filled up the whole garage. But, our old house had a thin metal garage door that let, heat/cold and any conversation inside, go out through the thin wall door. So, imagine when working on cars or projects allowed great music and that sound traveled all over the neighborhood.

With the recently insulated door completed, the sound inside was like a concert hall. I went outside to see if I could hear the loud music. The insulated door did its job as the sound of loud music was contained. Not only did the insulated garage door allow sound to stay isolated, but it was rather cool inside temperature wise on a normally hot sunny day.

Now, I can use my powered drill, rotary saw and air compressor without the sounds going outside like an invasion of giant Sherman tanks rumbling through our normally quiet neighborhood. Music can be turned up if necessary without wearing wireless earphones. All in the name of good music and freedom to be in a "cool" location any time of the year.

To use another quote: “…It was music for my ears…”
    "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" was one of the best songs from the whole mp3 collection coming out of a new 7th generation Ipod Touch player and it sounded great inside the new insulated garage.

(written by Jim Capaldi and Steve Winwood. At 11 minutes and 41 seconds, it is the longest track on the album.)

"It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The 'Low Spark', for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The 'Low Spark' meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level."

Traffic-Steve Winwood

4. Deuces

Deuces

I read somewhere that ^^^^^ song was recorded in Ron Wood's basement.... I could be way wrong on that statement.... :rolleyes::oops:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. I can't seem to find where it was written, but I did read this.

"Gimme Shelter" was written and recorded when the Vietnam conflict was in full swing, activists were protesting the war and being met with violence in the streets, "hippies" were spreading the notion of peace instead of war but finding violent responses from conservatives, blacks were actively pursuing equal rights and being dealt with violently by police, and all of this was prevalent in the public eye. It's pretty clear that the song is a statement about these troubled times. One interesting thing to consider, the title isn't "I need shelter" or "Help Me Find Shelter" or anything polite, instead it's "Gimme Shelter," an imperative that the singer might say while pointing a pistol.

The song starts with the statement that "a storm is threat'ning my very life," and "I'm gonna fade away" if I don't get shelter. As the song progresses, it's clear the storm isn't from the skies, but from other people. The lyrics directly reference rape, murder, fire in the street, and war that is "just a shot away." While the song doesn't directly mention specific incidents, it's undeniably a statement about rising violence and tensions at the end of the decade. While 90% of the song conveys this--as Jagger himself put it in 1995--"apocalyptic" message, the song closes with the overtly positive line, "love, sister, it's just a kiss away," which suggests that love can overcome the impending violence. Whether the love is a global solution to the violence or a simple distraction from the inevitable is up for debate.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  6. Yesterday was The Dead, my wifes favorite

captaintaytay and Deuces like this.
  7. RussK

RussK
    from Atlanta Ga

8. Little bit of Don Walser today.

Ben

9. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I listen to the neighbors bitch that I'm in the garage working on something.... We have a bunch of stuffy bitches in my neighborhood that have nothing better to do that bitch about a guy working on some old pile in his garage driving their property values down.

Motorwrxs likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I remember that one.... The good old days of listening to "The BIG 8" on AM.....;)

captaintaytay likes this.
  11. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

Man, you guys are old:D. I listen to hair bands.

12. Deuces

Deuces

.........And damn proud of it!...:D
    So, umm.. Get the hell off my lawn!!!!..:mad:;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  13. I usually work alone in the garage, so I don't have to listen to "anybody".

Deuces likes this.
  14. "Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough."

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  15. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Late 60s early 70 classic country have the tv hooked to direct tv. Even once in a while hook up the turn table and play albums from the days living in the army barrack. This one has been on the speaker’s a lot lately.

chryslerfan55 and FRANK GRELLE like this.
  16. timeflies

timeflies
    from Guthrie OK

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

Metallica!!! Motorhead!!! And an occasional megadeth!

chryslerfan55 and Droopydogg like this.
  18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Summer 1967... Pittsburgh... No place like home....

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Taj Farrant. he's 12 or 13 years old.

chryslerfan55 and Droopydogg like this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Taj was 9 here... if you like the blues you need to listen to this kid.

chryslerfan55, Droopydogg and carpok like this.
  22. Hank Williams senior, some times junior.

chryslerfan55, Droopydogg and 40two like this.
  23. Also Johnny Lang.

24. Aida Cuevas.

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Static because of my florescent lights

26. nunattax

nunattax