Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What do you like about our Hobby ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 13, 2020.

1. donno

donno

Lou Wells, you collect plaques? I've got one from Southern Nv if you want it. Charioteers.

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The whole hot rod thing was to build a car, whether it was for everyday driving (which it was for most of us teenagers) or to get us to after school jobs or get-togethers. If the drags were in the picture, (it was) then we could all combine both aspects into our builds, a cool car and make it go fast. Individuality was pushed on us all throughout our lives. Being a hot rod person falls into a category, but allows everyone to express their own ideas on builds, photos, lifestyles and acceptance of others.

I happen to have one other need as a teenager/twenty something. Something to get us to the beach and waves. That said, it had to be a reliable hot rod, and cool surf vehicle. The Impala did the fast thingy and the 1940 Flathead powered Ford Sedan Delivery did everything else, including going all over So Cal for the surf scene. It was a blast of a time period in our own family history. 280hp+ vs 80 hp was a big difference, but the surf road trip experience was also different. Hot rods, drag racing, being So Cal teenagers, and surfing. Those all hit the spots for us growing up.
    upload_2020-1-17_3-46-32.png two time family member…
    Then life intervened. The aspect of friendships was the highlight at the so-called gatherings and meeting similar folks at car shows, picnic/beach party scenes. It was/is always fun to listen to other stories of the teenage timeline and early twenty something times, as it was just before we all had to “get serious.” Over time, friends supported the vision we had as teens, but for some of us, society, family life, and survival took precedence over hot rods/drag racing. Surfing is a life-long activity and that can also be shelved over time.

Jnaki

So, for having fun as hot rod inspired people, it makes life interesting. It is something that has always stayed in our history and family events. Meeting people with similar lifestyles goes along with the pleasure it takes to converse and listen to histories from our/their past timelines.

May history live, as “…Without history, there is no future!” So, Mr. Komarnicki, (my 2nd favorite teacher) I was listening in our high school history classes, despite the slow approach with the lectures.

Montana1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. The search for that "new" project, finding it, and learning of all of its hidden details..good and bad.
    After the project has been acquired the search and finding of that part/s that allows you to continue on/complete it.
    Picking up those brilliant chrome shiny pieces from the plater.
    Mind control-your mind drifting off on what you next need to do on your project..even while sitting on the barbers chair, waiting at the dentist office, sitting in traffic, at work, etc.
    Waking up in the morning, with the knowledge that you have the entire day to devote to your "creation" without any other obligations.
    Going thru the gears on a nice country road, sun shining, car running crisp, responsive.
    Your "secret"..feeling only you can have, with the knowledge of all of your efforts/planning that created what other people are admiring, but may be clueless on what it took to "get it there'.
    Of course the people in our shared passion.

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The "search" for cars/parts/ or even solutions. I love that hunt!

The "solutions" I really do this thing because I cannot shut my brain off and it gives me something other than work to focus on on. I have loved to fabricate and problem solve since I could walk, and cars have been my primary outlet.

The "sidekicks" that share my love for the hobby and have become friends along the way, and just meeting and interacting with people from all over the country. I love how cars can bring good folks together.

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Growing up in a car family my Dad and Uncle's always having cars and drag racing, i never had much choice but with my mechanical inclination, think it would have happened anyways. I agree i like bench racing with the boys. Don't have time for a car club nor do i need to officially meet every second Wednesday. Have always been creative so building cars gives me that outlet. There is nothing better when you hear a vintage mill fire up and lump away. The smell of race gas and the rubber burning from a fuel coupe doing a big long smoky burnout. Listening to a nitro funny car is probably the best sound i have ever heard and watching newbies rubbing their eyes when they get too close... ha ha