Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do you give up in order to be nostalgic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

We all know that a Hemi puts forth an impressive look in a streetrod. All Hemi guys want a 392, but they have to use other versions because they are scarce and expensive. I stumbled across the ad for a 392 and thats the basis for this thread. The question is ...........Did you build to look nostalgic and give up a lot of performance, or are you the guy who makes your engine choice based on what is going to give you good performance at the red light? :D

dana barlow likes this.
  2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

It is a sad thing for me to say if I was starting my hotrod build I would do a create motor now...I wantd a gen 2 426 in my car but they have always been expensive so I settled for a early 392 because it was cheaper at the time..Now you can get 1000HP motors for the same price as trying to build something from scratch and have a warranty to...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. people part with Money?
    Won’t hate too much on hemi’s but seems to me a lot people have a hardon for them. When clearly there seems to be more hemi’s in vintage Mopars now, than were actually at dealerships back in the day.
    Just go to any Mopar show next year!

I would sooner get the car driving with a slant 6 and get on my way than day dream about driving that Hemi. That way at least you are driving something.

a nice 318 poly is cool and reliable.

I guess if it originally had a hemi. Keep the hemi. Rebuild it.

even some the oddball OHV flatheads and exotic engines. I mean really. Some people just have nostalgia for the easier care free days. Just have a fun ride and forget about worrying about what other people think.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. Ultra performance is no longer of interest to me. As I drive 6 to 8000 miles per year in my rod reliability is most important. Fuel economy is also high on the list.
    Most engines can be dressed to have the traditional vintage appearance.
    I do like shiny paint and a complete interior.

Phil

5. I built a 261 for my 50 fleetline with a t5 triple zenith carbs, original offy intake linkage and fuel block, aluminum oil canister , original Fenton split exhaust offy valve and side covers
    Corvette duel point tech drive distributor
    A generator pwr steering pump combo off a later 261, original Pcv valve the list goes on and on and on and on.

when I was done it was/ is a work of art that got a lot of attention.

but I could of built a sbc for less then a 3rd of what I had in that inline 6.

didn’t go as far but in my 53 Chrysler got an original duel carb intake and split exhaust for it and done other goodies a lot of money spent for cool factor not so much go .

I dunno Old school engines have an appeal but the new crate engines or just a good ol sbc or sbf make great hp to dollars spent .

dana barlow likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

First hot rod motor's I looked for back in the late 50s,when building my first hot rod.;
    First of all a OHV- V8,then a combo of factors,how cheep or free an did it have a tranny still on it. We all have a dream one at the time we're looking. I had a list,with cost being #1,HP #2.
    Was very lucky in late1958 to find a free Ford Y,Thunderbird w/4bbl with 3 speed tranny in crashed car+. Later traded some toy train stuff for a 2x4 intake an got a matched pair of 4bbls off a Cady to use on the Y intake. After some time n low on $,sold the 2x4 set up,went back to 4bbl. Designed n built a 4x2 log with 94s. Still run the 4x2s,but at times between "Y"s,rebuild ect. run the 4bbl. The give away,is 4x2 on log looks real good,an runs good most of the time. They are 4 times as hard to keep tuned. The 4 bbl always runs smooth=but I really like my 4x2s best,even though they are a PITA.
    So that's the trade off !!! 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Boryca, LAROKE, dsiddons and 17 others like this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

With 4bbl,when trying to rebuild another Y.

LAROKE, wicarnut, dsiddons and 3 others like this.
  8. Well let's see, I don't have power steering or power brakes or AC or heat or a working radio or wipers but I still driver her everyday. r.jpg

9. I guess I was a poser. I bought a Desoto hemi, sunk a bunch of money in it, then decided to go with something smaller with easier to find parts before I even got it finished. So I am a reformed poser. You can't see them with the hood closed anyway. Still may use it in something with an open hood though.

ekimneirbo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Y'all may 'think' I'm a poser because my SBF has a ragged idle(actually runs pretty strong from 1000RPM up...)
    But I always said this, when I was a young teen.'..... MAN!..IF I ever get to build a street rod/classic/pony car/hot rod/muscle car.........I want it to SOUND like one.....!'
    Well it does by George!!
    To me, that's no different than a 3 deuces set up (with a couple of 'em capped off)....big tunnel ram with 'pig-rich' carbs......4 wheel drive pick ups with big hugh-mongus mud grips that have NEVER been off the boulevard.....and on and on.
    Its about the look/sound FIRST.....then performance afterward. IMHO
    6sally6

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've already paid the price, I'M OLD

Boryca, mad mikey, BigO and 6 others like this.
  12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My first car was a 1937 Chevy 2dr. sedan that I bought from a cop for $5!! Had to pull it out of his backyard and clear out the black widow spiders, but it was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. I was 14yrs. old. I have never seen a bad hot rod. If it is YOUR hot rod, that's all that matters. I declined joining many car clubs and other groups, because most of them deal in theory, telling you "it can't be done..no way". I have learned so much by making it work, and knowing it DOES work...'cause.I did it. I would much rather be working in my garage trying something out, than sitting around talking about it.

13. What do you give up to be nostalgic? Well lets see...
    How about handling, ride, stopping, comfort, reliability, parts availability, cheap horsepower, better gas mileage. And let's not forget a resemblance of a bank account...

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Knee room

Attached Files:

chiro, BigO, lumpy 63 and 9 others like this.
  15. When it comes to the actual motors that's seldom of concern to me. I decide on a build and then what motor works for that profile. Then I look around at what I already have and use it. I'm not a one brand guy.
    Creature comforts seldom enter other than just plain comfortable to be in. I didn't grow up with Power anything so I don't really miss it. Yes we have a couple New vehicles but they are for Family stuff and at those times I put the Little Lady behind the B.R.T. That keeps her from screaming and yelling at me. I don't seem to mind a rough ride as long as it's Fast and Loud. What I won't give up to be Vintage is steering and stopping. I want to know what to expect in a panic spot. It don't take a R&P or Disc brakes to do the job. I too love a good Hemi. They just make there own statement but for me not a must have, but I do. This whole thing for me is for Fun and not being afraid to pull out and Pass, but I can't seem to change my ways. Once done I think this will fill the bill quite nicely.
    20160217_151219.jpg

16. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I'm faithful to the concept in sheet metal only. Get more HAMB unfriendly with each new build. Woke up one day and said no more rubbing sticks together to start a fire and put straight axles, buggy springs, and flatheads into the same category. Present power train has 400+ hp, will go for 250k miles and get 25mpg. Just not nostalgic I guess but even the old ones gave up wood spoke wheels and kerosene lights so there has been "traitors" from day one. My worry is the scene will fade to dark with the last survivor waving a "Flatheads Forever" flag.

49ratfink, wicarnut, rockable and 5 others like this.
  17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like a big block in stock form with a stock cam and a nice set of either Turbo or Porter mufflers.

18. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm with coilover, up to the last 2 lines.
    I've done my time, gave up a lot of stuff to go fast in my younger days. A wife and small children to take along pretty well convinced me there were things more important then going fast. I gave up going fast for taking the family along. That was a good trade off.
    As time marches on, creature comfort, not having to stop for gas every hour and a half, and being able to walk around without something hurting after a 2 hour drive, became more important. The end result of that was more enjoyable driving, which has become more time driving the car and adding more miles per season. Another good trade off.
    It may look the part from the outside, but under that outer sheet metal, its pretty modern. I'm OK with that too. Gene

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. I prefer small block Fords, so that's what I run. I've had fast ones in the past, now, I just want one dependable that sounds good and looks decent. My go fast days are over, 75 mph is about tops for me anymore. Just want to look good and be comfortable doing it.

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

What I would give up being nostalgic would be a chance to fully document my '34 Austin here in the Hamb. The car is so small that finding parts that fit within the 1965 cutoff that I can afford would be difficult. However, with my T coupe, not a problem.

AHotRod, VANDENPLAS and ekimneirbo like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A stain free driveway.

23. I gave up Facebook. Actually I never started.
    Too new technologically for my old bones. There may be some rusty gold for sale there but I'll never know. Which is okay. I didn't know about all of it before there was Facebook so I figure I'm holding steady.

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cel phone!!!

ekimneirbo likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am okay with having a heater . Reliability , safe brakes and steering, and enjoying the driving part . Pull up to a stoplight and knowing I am in something old and not like all the others around me. I don’t need flashy paint. The ‘48 Effie has a straight six 4 speed for fun and a comfortable seat . I am building it now. The ‘27 T has a 300 inliner done up . The truck is my keeper. :)

40FORDPU and ekimneirbo like this.
  26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Love the sound of my Smithy muffler.

Elcohaulic and ekimneirbo like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're preaching to the choir, brother. Amen:)

nochop, jimmy six and ekimneirbo like this.
  28. williebill

williebill

Open primary, too, Jockey. When I finished my panhead back in the 70s, I couldn't afford a chrome primary cover, so I turned the oiler off, and ran it open. Everybody seemed to worry about my foot in that chain except me. Eventually had the money to buy the typical primary cover, it just wasn't the same, though.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave up my virginity.:p:eek:
    Not really, but none of my 10 cars has AC or a CD Player. My 88 Beamer has a cassette deck. i never missed infotainment. A ticking stovebolt , the whine of a cast iron glide, a dome pistoned 327 with ringing headers, the squal of bias plys in a sharp turn, the purr of the 59AB in the 40, that´s what I couldn´t give up.
    I friend I grew up with hopping up old Vespa scooters used to say:If your brakes are bad, your suspensions sucks and your tires are bald you don´t need a lot of hp to feel scary fast. He argued with him for years, because I also had a 2 stroke Aprilia bike. But now I know he was right.

bowie, Ned Ludd, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  30. I gave up boring, plastic cars.