Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do with old stuff when...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Dave G in Gansevoort, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

As the years pass, I find I have collected a lot of stuff that might end up being thrown away some day. Things like old outdated automotive machineshop equipment. For instance I just acquired 2 old valve grinders and 3 valve seat resurfacers, altho 1 is a Neway and is still being made. There is other outdated equipment that still functions, just slowly. So what to do with it?

I've had an idea for over 15 years, that being some kind diorama type display, donating the tools and some other things to create a scene in a small shop or garage reminiscent of those us slightly older to much older folks remember from our past. The problem is, how does one accomplish it?

Picture a museum like the Saratoga Automotive Museum (at least I think that'sit name), with a space that looks like a 40s, 50s or even into the 60s garage/shop, with this old machinery set up to appear functional again, with manakins outfitted to look like they belong there.

And to pull it off, some engine blocks/heads maybe, or possibly even a partially disassembled car from the era being depicted. As for setting the scene for the non-automotive aspect of the scene, such as the building, the lighting, and so forth, maybe get the local community theatre group involved, as there are some very creative people who design and build the sets, and after all this is just a different type of set.

So back to the question above: how to accomplish this? Am I too naive to think this would even interest anyone? So I am asking for input. What does the HAMB community think? Would there be enough of us interested in trying to pull this off?

I've got probably 20-25 years to go before the old stuff needs to find a disposition, but by then I might not be able to do something like this, so I have a little time to ruminate on this left. Let's see what people think. Thanks

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That's exactly what I have thought about. I've seen those pictures of Indy garages, and probably got the seed planted by them.

BTW I was late posting, you must never sleepo_O. Caffeine???

quick85 likes this.
  3. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

As a former museum employee, we liked those ideas/donations, provided we had a space for the display and items. If you can find the right audience/ museum/ etc., then there will definitely be a positive reception. The trick, of course, is in the finding.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Joe Blow likes this.
  4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Part of the problem is the era in which I grew up because we never had much money and the only way our family car ever got fixed was if we fixed it first.
    Because we never had much I learned early on to save everything including all of the old parts I took off of cars because I thought someday I might need a part off of an old part to use.

My wife has told me over the past almost 52 years many times you never throw anything away and she is right.
    I don't consider myself a horder because everything I have is stored with a sense of order and not just put in a pile.
    Car magazines from the late 1957 era and on up are all kept stacked in boxes up off the floor in the shop.

I know that when I am gone all of my stuff will also be gone!
    I find it very hard to change my habits after all these years.

Jimbo

48fordnut and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  6. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

As one of the younger members of this forum (still under 40, at least) I'm envious of the various collections (of all sorts of stuff) that others have accumulated over the years, aware of my own collections that I'm accumulating, and VERY aware of the knowledge that currently exists out there but may be lost with the passing of older members of our/any community. You can't pass *everything* on - the physical stuff is easy enough, but passing your knowledge on is another ball of wax. Obviously we "youngsters" can't talk to every old timer, but I think many of us try.

If there's something you think may be lost (knowledge, a tool, a vehicle, etc.) take the time to at least share it with someone. Maybe that's as simple as writing a letter or sending an email, or sharing your prized collection of doorstops with the neighbor the next time you see them. Not everything can go in a museum or display at the local historical society, so do what you can while you can still do it to make sure that the stuff you care about will still be cared about when you're gone / can no longer enjoy it.

The_Cat_Of_Ages, A 2 B, egads and 6 others like this.
  7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So besides us few I quess this subject isn't interesting enough. Oh well, I'mstill looking into this for some of my old stuff. Any more input is appreciated.

quick85 likes this.
  8. noboD

noboD

Many car museums have displays like you suggest, EMMR, AACA, Gilmore, Boyertown to name just a few. Saratoga is a great museum. Get to know the curator you'd be surprised what can happen. It doesn't take much more room then a car. A workbench or two and a partially disassemble car showing where the tools would be used.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

I always heard that you should loan stuff to a museum (with a contract), not give it to them. Not uncommon for a museum to sell off donated stuff to fund everyday expenses.

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want the item to be displayed, offer to loan it indefinitely. If they refuse, they weren't going to display it. Nothing wrong with a museum auctioning/selling articles to pay the bills, but make sure you're OK with that before you donate an item to them.

The modern era gives us new ways to pass on knowledge. Consider recording some video demonstrating the use of these tools. That way when you pass them on, even if they are obsolete and can never really be used again, your descendants, or whoever ends up with them, can have and appreciate the knowledge of how they were once used.

11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the suggestions. The young shall teach the old...

So now I have some more project work to think about: how to get some of these old machines up and running again. Most run, but I haven't used some of them yet.

Next step:contact the Saratoga Auto Museum and see if there is any interest. After that, if no, then research others within a reasonable distace to me. Sounds like a job for someone I know who used to work at a museum, right ratrodder?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Hey, you're the retired one! I've gotta keep working to fund your free time now ;).

Seriously, if the SAM isn't interested, they're likely familiar with other places like them that might be, and can put you in touch with them. The indefinite loan idea (above) is also worthy of reflection - you can always rescind it, or word it so that after X years items are returned to you/your estate, etc.

rod noken likes this.
  13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Sounds like a plan. Just remember, you're the one who's going to have to deal with the after X year sytuation!

BTW everyone take a look at the thread "putting old junk to work". I'm not the only one after all...

14. a60sracer

a60sracer
    from n.h.

wow

quick85 likes this.
  15. Yeah I like old stuff too. But half the fun is in the hunt, and then the other half is in playing with it. I don't buy, or even look for stuff on the internet. But I do like junkyards, toy shows, and swapmeets. So old stuff just seems to find me. Old stuff is no fun if boxed up, or in storage. So what I did was to make my own little musems. If no one ever see's them but me, that's okay. I enjoy playing with them every day. I look at it this way. Some day when I'm gone, my kids can still enjoy my old stuff, { as they do now} or they can just turn it into $$$. It's all good. Our old Hot Rods, and our old stuff is just for FUN. So as long as you have old stuff, and it dosen't have you, life is good. Just my 2 cents. I'm saying this because a lot of people are always asking me, why do I have all that { Old Stuff ?} 009.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nicely done! And said!

I'm still cogitating and ruminating over the idea of hopefully putting it somewhere like an automotive related collection open to the public. It's better than the original disposition before I obtained most of the stuff, which was scrap metal.

It's that or ratrodder gets stuck with it some day...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I agree. With the exception of end wrenches and screwdrivers, I don't have multiples of stuff. But stuff just keeps finding its way to me. I notice that this seems to be true for most of us on this site. I figure I've got a few years to make my idea happen. Otherwise ratrodder has to get it finished...

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

But that's just what siblings do!

We don't have kids, but 4 nieces and 4 nephews. 1 nephew on my side, the rest on her side. And I don't think the 7 are much interested in dealing with old automotive crap. So lucky ratrodder!

ratrodrodder likes this.
  19. I would never tell anyone what they should ever do. Beacuse every situation is always different. So I'm only speaking for myself. But this is what I did. I called a little family meeting, and then divided up my old stuff among my kids and grandkids. So when I'm gone there's no hard feelings on who get's what. Plus I liked having a little say in my old cars future. :p My youngest daughter is a real car nut, and very sentimental. She really likes performance and speed. So she gets the old 29 coupe, and Vette. We both drove the Vette to high school. My oldest daughter gets the 56 Nomad, and my grandson wants my old 34 sedan delivery. It really is just old stuff, and family comes first. just my 2 cents. Happy New Year everyone! 456.jpg

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Ron, any chance I can talk your kid/grandkids into letting me get my grubby little hands on some of that Japan Tin? ;)
    HAPPY HEW YEAR buddy.:D

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Dave, You might check with the
    Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich NY. They are a pretty creative group and have tons of room.
    Northeast Classic Car Museum – Over 170 classic and vintage vehicles on display!

22. No problem Jack, I'll put your name on the bottom. But you just have to out live me. :rolleyes: I enjoy your post. So keep it up, and have a Happy New Year. 20160915_222343.jpg

quick85 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the information. I'll add them to my list of places to contact. What a museum, just checked it out online. It would be a good place for a shop diorama.

24. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I'm working on making room, believe me! I've already got my stuff, plus planning for your stuff, and Mom and Dad's stuff, plus whatever may come from the other aunt and uncle... maybe I need to plan for an even *bigger* barn/garage...

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

40x100 might be just right! With a loft and an elevator/lift system to get big heavy stuff up there...

26. I hope to have a similar corner in the shop when I get to it. This picture is for inspiration, it is from the Walter P Chrysler museum near Detroit before they dismantled it. 512DFA44-4D4A-4A46-848B-5581E5C90743.jpeg

A 2 B and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. Here is another. 3D0C6885-AED4-46AC-A881-116CA21D2574.jpeg

28. I am better at collecting the old stuff and working on the idea, than executing. Another one from the museum. 0D419DD0-5E54-4C19-8056-C9B19E11C17B.jpeg

29. How about one more. 70EB350F-E82C-424E-933E-D24E0F2C0E90.jpeg