Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do the neighbors think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, May 29, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel

When I lived in town I had a couple small problems...but out here in the country, my neighbors do the same kinda stuff I do and we get along fine. Being on 4 acre lots helps.

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

I'm on an acre but still have neighbors that are close enough to be bothered so I don't do anything noisey late at night. The worst thing I've probably done is starting my OT Corvette with open headers at 11pm when I finished my engine swap. Other than that I usually do the open header, grinder, noisey stuff during the day.
    All of my neighbors are pretty cool they even seem mildly interested when I bring some new project home. The old guy that used to live next to me (R.I.P.) used to just stand in his yard and shake his head and smile when I'd pull in the yard with the trailer loaded. His wife still lives there and I do all her maintenance for her since his passing to help her out.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You know, sometimes you just gotta tough it out.:D

4. No complaints from the neighbors, just compliments when I rolled the truck out for the first time.....

5. rickairmedic

rickairmedic

I do my best to keep the noise down after 9-10PM . That being said the three houses across the street one is into his " car audio equipment " and I have heard him out in his drive at 10-11 PM um thumping :D. Next to him is a 57 chebby next house 52 F1 . Across the street the other way ( I'm on a corner ) I have a gentleman in his 70's who is always out in his garage tinkering with something . I lend a hand with all of them whenever they need it and I keep half the neighborhoods Heating and Air working . I guess I have it prety good with Car guys all around me .

Rick

6. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I have a buddy who lives in a Neighborhood with the HOA (HomeOwners Association) and they will leave you a nasty note if you leave a car in the driveway overnight. He can't even fart after 8:00PM without them bitching at him. I couldn't do it. I'm glad I live around great neighbors. They never complain. I have seen them stand in their yards with their mouths open in shock as the flatbed wrecker drops off a project. From their expressions I think their thoughts are: "Well, looks like our property values are going down again". :D

7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I live out in the sticks and the neighbors are a little ways apart, However one is a fellow hot rodder and two others are roundy round guys so it's all good.

8. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i lived in the texAss country for 24 years on 2ac surrounded by cows. the only close neighbors that i did have were 300 yards away but that didn't stop them from trying to tell me what i could and could not do, both on and off my property. this culminated in a near shootout on several occasions. cops said: "take care of your own problems." fine..... i ALMOST shot this one drunken moron who came at me with a shotgun. in fact i almost shot several texass drunks. i'd still walk my dogs down the rural roads but they became too afraid to confront me in person so began some cowardly shit hiding behind their children. i had a few surprises in store for the turds. :D . ironically, after moving to north port, florida, i have more privacy and cooler neighbors than in texASS, the land o drunken morons...

9. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

I live in an old 50's built suburb. They are all in there 70-90's and just turn down there hearing aids.

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have great neighbors, but so do all of them! They are all cool with what I do. They also know they can help themselves to air, bolts, tools, etc. They always respect my stuff and I let them have free access to my stuff, never a problem for the last 30+ years. I respect them by a rule of no open headers after 9:00PM unless they are all standing there telling me to start it! One has a baby sitting service and we never start or load race cars during nap time.

Being a good neighbor gets good neighbors.

SPark

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My neighbors are fairly tolerant of my " diease " .

I try to be a good neighbor. No open exhaust after 10 at night. No loud noises either. I have been here the longest ... so they have grown accustomed to me and my stuff. I do ride my Harley or drive my 32's when I want to ( they are kind of NOISY ) but try to keep the unnessary noise down ( no revving the motor, burn outs or stupid stuff ) :D

12. my nieghbors i have now are fairly cool with what i do but like others have said i stop all the loud obnoxious stuff before 11pm

which is a big pain in the but during the school year because i work 2nd shift as an elementary school custodian and i dont get off till 11:45 other then the weekends or before work i cant really do much to my cars until summer break ...which begins june 9th :D

13. Don`t even get me started on this, I don`t work late don`t work often I even work in doors under a tent connected to my garage .My neighbor built his house right next to mine 7 years ago, I have been here for 23 years. He complains about any and everything that I do with My hobby he does not have a leg to stand legally, But its no fun having someone yelling over the fence at you. It all boils down to his hippie ass growing weed, thinking I am going to contaminate it. This is bullsh t. I guess he`s legal with a state card. Pete.

14. vegas

vegas

I usually start working on things around 7am, and I'm done way before it gets late (especially in the summer heat here). I live in Vegas, so the houses and yards are stacked up pretty tight. My street is a small street that deadends on both ends with the entry street in the middle. with only 9 houses, and 4/9 households including my only next door neighbor (I'm on the corner) have loud/fast O/T cars, and work on stuff, so everyone seems pretty cool.

15. My neighbors have been very tolerant-I hack and gring and paint away on stuff but try not to go too late with loud stuff. I did run an air chisel at about 12:30 am one time and thought someone would call the cops for sure but nobody said a word. Most of my neighbors are cool and like to drop by to see whatever this week's project is. Blowing snow out of their driveways all winter helps with the brownie points.:p

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'm 60, I learned a long time ago that when your neighbors like you, you can do as you please.
    A neighborhood full of friendly people does wonders.
    BUT, you have to be friendly, first and foremost.

Let me give you a simple example.

If a guys wants to fireup his race car or boat or whatever at 8AM on a saturday morning, I'm not going to think that he's a very good neighbor.

BUT....if he came by the day before and said...
    "Hey Doug, would you mind if I fired up the "whatever" tomorrow morning at 8AM?"

Not only would I say "Sure!"....but I would also think that he was a very nice and polite person AND I'd say...

"Cool, can I give you a hand?"

Just be nice...it costs you nothing.

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think it also depends on what you're doing. Many years ago I lived in a neighborhood that was pretty tolerant of my open headers, air compressor, loud cars etc, but when I had my heavy metal band practicing in the garage it didn't go over too well. Go figure.

18. I have done that and been there with this guy, I have rebuilt a motor for him in his garage , I sold him the truck it went into. He painted a boat in his front yard in the OPEN air with Emron paint, that I gave him.He is not on a fair playing feild (or he is not playing with a full deck). I have gave him heads up before painting my frame and he started freaking out, and i was doing it with brush! I agree with the heads up but some times you get what I got next door. bipolar mabee that`s what weed is for.I have never complained to him when he put a metal smelter in right next to me and started melting brass and copper in the open air! I believe in live and let live. So you guy`s with good car friendly nieghbors I envy you! Pete

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife said for years, "I wanna live on a gravel road, off a gravel road." So now we do. Good to be on a 120 acre farm with lots of room. And the farmers make more noise than I do anyway. My closest neighbor, across the road, often has to fix his equipment...you talk about some cuttin' and grinding. Still, we all try to keep away from doin' the noisy stuff too late. Sound travels amazingly well out hear in the evening.​

Looking out the upstairs back window...my shop, to the right of the barn. Nobody bothers me.

Attached Files:

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Sometimes I wonder if I'm bothering my neighbor when using a grinder or air file at 7 am then I remember when he's mowing his yard at 4 pm when I'm trying to take a nap!

21. Swifster

Swifster

I've never asked, but anything real noisey I try to get finished by 10:00PM. And I don't usually start on a weekend morning until between 9-10AM. I do also try to help them when they are in need. I've never had a complaint.

22. DR JAY

DR JAY

I have a fiercely short temper and low tolerance for anyone else's bullshit, so I try to treat my neighbors like I want to be treated...BUT, my bike had straight pipes long before any of them moved beside me. We have a basic 24 hr noise bylaw here anyway--shut up by 10 pm, but noise WITHIN REASON all day is ok...to a point. When a neighbor decided to roll a 45 gallon drum into his driveway to cut up with the air hammer at supper time I went over with my heater hose cutter and shortened his air hose. The cops thought it was hilarious and told me so on my property. It was well worth the new hose...he turned into the best neighbor ever and we get along fine. Set clear boundaries early!

23. dorksrock

dorksrock

I have helped several of my neighbors with problems with their cars, and thing around the house too, and I think that helps alot. If your willing to lend a hand to them they dont seem to mind nearly as much.

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have about 3 1/2 acres and I have a shop out in the middle of it, so no one is really that close to me. But I make sure that I work inside the garage after 10 pm just so I don't bother anyone. I have been here 30 years and anytime someone moves in around me I tell them if I am doing anything that bothers you let me know. If I keep doing it I am doing it on purpose....... They all have laughed and I have never had a problem......

25. Jagman

Jagman

I also believe in live and let live, I have far more issues with my neighbor's barking dogs than they do with my late night work. That said, 11 pm was my cutoff, but now that I'm *ahem*....older, I tend to start earlier and finish earlier too....about the latest I go now is 10pm, and I always keep the garage doors shut as my shop is heated and air conditioned.

I have a few acres out in the boonies that I was hoping to build on - my next door neighbor there is into hotrods, Harleys and such and all of the closer neighbors are also into cars of various stripes - but it's just gotten too damn expensive to do that now, unless I hit the big lotto.....

26. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Best way to get along with neighbors and work on your car as I have heard. To have good neighbors or friends, you must be one.

Do not complaign about the neighbor's dog barking then fire up a loud compressor or welder after dark.

Most communities have a noise abatement ordinance that specifies the timing of loud activities.
    Usually between the hours of 7:00am and 10:30 pm.
    However, this may vary from town to town and state to state.

I have great neighbors, they utilize my tools and shop more than I do.
    I kinda dont like the neighbor who drives his tractor across my patio to air up his tractor tires, but, Oh Well, he does not like the smoke from my smoker.:D

27. genosslk

genosslk

I used to care about what my neighbors within ear shot thought.... until three years ago, no one cared and they even helped out..... but then my cool neighbor sold his house across the street (closest of them all) and the PRICK started causing trouble for everyone. He thinks I have to ask him to work in my shop or even use my riding mower!!! I took three years to give the bastard enough grief to cause a heart attack and now he's in a rest home. When he left (still ownes the house) we all (9 residents) threw a huge bar-b-que in his honor. You would have to have this guy live next to you to really understand what a jerk he is... rich guy that thinks he runs everything and owns everything. This guy just plain hates everything.... divorced too! Surprised?

If you have great neighbors, let 'em know!

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  28. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I try to be conscious about the neighbors and try not to do anything loud early in the morning or late at night. Felt bad about grinding all afternoon once but that quickly passed when my neighbor fired up the mower right next to our deck while we were out there eating....

29. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Right next door is a car guy, but in the close down the street we've had complaints about our shop being a business and we can't do that. It isn't a business, we just like to work on things and the hoist in the garage makes it easier.
    No one really talks to us except for the car guy, everyone else seems to mind their business about what we do for fun, we keep noise down and projects out of the open

30. One_sic_C

One_sic_C

Anything I do at night I try to keep the doors closed, because I know I get pissed when the neighbors are loud! I need my sleep!