Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What do i need to know when installing a 6v71 blower to 4 barrel intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FROSTBITE, Mar 31, 2014.

1. FROSTBITE

FROSTBITE
    from Kansas

I just purchased a 6v71 rebuilt, setup and ready to be put on a gas engine. i want to put it on a virtually stock 318. The shop that i got the blower from is going to build a plate to mount the blower to the intake manifold. Near as i can tell the four barrel flange is parallel to the engine, hopefully wont have any problem with the belt slipping off blower. But if there is a problem, i guess ill deal with it when the time comes.

Planning on under driving the blower to get 4-5 psi

Is there anything else i need to know about doing a setup like this? Do i really need a backfire valve or a burst panel?

2. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

most of the intakes I have seen are designed to sit the carb close to level with the engine tilted several degrees to the rear. Carb flange usually is not perpendicular to the crankshaft.

3. Yes the 4 barrel flange needs to be level with crankshaft centerline, and yes you need a blow off valve. If needed you can shim idler pulley brkt to get belt tracking true.

4. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

A simple machine shop operation to mill carb flange level. The carb studs end up a couple degrees off, but won't hurt anything.

I have converted V 6-71 blowers to SBC using 1/2" aluminum plate and old 4 bbl intakes.

5. FROSTBITE

FROSTBITE
    from Kansas

Oh, so does the 6v71 need an oil supply line like a turbo?

6. 270ci

270ci

No it does not. If it has already been converted properly to run on a gas engine, the rear bearings should have been replaced with sealed ones and the fronts will be lubed by
    the contained oil in the gear case (you do have to change that once in awhile), just like a regular 6-71.