Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do I look for in a plasma cutter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Nov 9, 2003.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Hey, im looking to maybe get a plasma cutter. WTF should I look for in a good cutter? What are some good (but still cheap, if thats possible) brands? Ive used one a few times and they are so slick (but then im comparing it to a hacksaw lol). Id be primarily using it for patch panel stuff, but it would be nice if it was able to cut at least 1/4 inch plate. Help is appreciated...............Briggs

2. McGrath

McGrath

Thermal Dynamics(i think thats the name), makes a nice 110v unit that would work great on Sheetmetal. we have one at the shop I work for. It will cut up to 1/4" but thats about the limit. On 14g and under Sheetmetal it is hard to beat and will cut almost as fast as you can drag it.

We have a couple of Esab 60 or 80 amp Plasma's too, but they are overkill for the average Home shop. I think they will cut up to 5/8" before the Kerf starts getting out of control.

Of course being a Sheetmetal Shop, we also have a CAD Controlled Esab Plasma Table. I think it ran the company a little over $100K. That would take up as much room as two cars though and you would have a Hell of a time getting the Car on the Table... [​IMG]

3. brewsir

brewsir

I have a cutmaster 38 from thermal dynamics...runs on either 110 or 220...switches automatically when it senses the voltage (So I am told) About $1150 when I bought it...cuts 5/8 or 1/2 on a plunge if I remember right.

4. McGrath

McGrath

5. mine--works great

Attached Files:

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Go for the Thermal Dynamics...lots of parts/pieces/nozzles, etc. available for them (your local gas/oxygen/argon bottle supplier usually carries them) and are a good unit...cuts sheet metal (body weight) like hot knife thru butter...1/4" takes a pass or two...uses 110 outlet and 60 pounds of air...best unit out here, I've had mine for over ten years...
    R-

7. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

i have a miller plasma

it has a built in compressor, and is 110V

i like it, but i wish it didnt have a built in compressor.

it draws too many amps when it first starts, from the plug and kicks the breaker when i have alot of other things running all at once.

that also is somewhat caused by how i was using the circuits in the shop

if you have a compressor already, look for one that doesnt have a built in compressor.

8. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Just DO NOT buy this one...it wouldn't cut 18 gauge...and I sent it back...that is a whole 'nother story...Harbor Freight sucks for large returns...I bought a HenRob instead.

Attached Files:

9. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    Just DO NOT buy this one...it wouldn't cut 18 gauge...and I sent it back...that is a whole 'nother story...Harbor Freight sucks for large returns...I bought a HenRob instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn more about the Henrob at:
    www.cut-like-plasma.com

If you want one, buy it from:
    www.henrob2000.com

Do search here for more on the Henrob.

--Matt