Register now to get rid of these ads!

What disc brake Front clips will work on a 50's T-Bird?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tattedkat, May 23, 2008.

1. Considering buying a 59' T-bird..Anyone know what Disc brake/Power steering front clip, If any, can be used on these cars?

2. Fitzworld

Fitzworld

Not sure about the disk brake thingy, maybe Granada but the car is a unibody, so a front clip would probably be out of the picture. Is there anything wrong with the factory steering? If you have to replace it, you might consider the Pacer power rack and much fabrication.
    Good luck.

3. Inthegarge

Inthegarge

Mustang II is most common but remember you are dealing with a uni-body. Would probably be easier just to add PS and Disc brakes. Many bolt on options. RW

4. So the Thunderbird is a Uni-Body..What is the correct Definition of a Uni-Body and what other, If any, Ways will this hinder me?

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

unibody = no frame. the entire chassis and body are made out of sheet metal.

all it means is You will need to buy kits for disc brakes and possibly an upgraded power steering. It will probably be a mild to moderate pain in the ass to lower a whole bunch as well.

6. So what year T birds are Uni-body? What year did they go the the frame?

7. 58-66 at least. I think they went to a shared platform with Linoln Continentals in 1967.

8. Should be no trouble to pick up a disc brake kit thats a bolt-on with an updated MC...

They didn't handle half bad for the day...The square birds were NASCAR contenders in the late 50's...

9. So are The 55-57 T-Birds on a frame? I never had a Uni-Body, and i dont know If there ok to roll or not..I have a 59 Chopped F100 that im trying to sell..I wanted to buy The T-bird so that i could chop it..Dont see any chopped. But is it possible to put Air bags on it? Theres no frame to Notch...

10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ford grenada, mercury monarch and lincoln Versailles spindles.

11. These spindles Will be applicable to put air bags on the T-Bird and have it lay pretty close to the Ground?

12. the spindles would have nothing to do with the use of bags. and on those biger birds 70's tbird parts should work also. biger brakes and easyer to find than the monarch/granada spindles. up here atleast

13. So How hard would it be to Bag/Lower a 59' T bird? Same as a regular Frame car or Harder?

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the grenada/monarch/versailles spindles will drop the car about 2"
    not sure about the big bird setup.. never messed with them myself

15. 67' was the year they went to a frame. google disc brake conversion for 59' ford and their should be plenty of info pop up. did a search 6 months ago for a 58' ford and looks like it's a common upgrade.

16. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Here is a kit that will work

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_ford_discbrake_conversions.html

<TABLE cellPadding=0 width=756 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]54-56 FORD Passenger Car
    55-57 THUNDERBIRD
    [/FONT]

</TD><TD align=left colSpan=2>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]FORD (4-1/2) Bolt Circle - uses 75-80 Granada/Monarch rotors and 78-81 Camaro/Firebird Calipers
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]EC-733.....................................Basic Kit $ 250.00
    EC-733CK..........................Complete Kit $ 395.00
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    <HR SIZE=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. Thanks for the Help Everyone... guess its Possible to Drop a 59' T- Bird with Air bags..Just wonder how hard it would be to do...Being that the 59 T-bird is Uni-body..Theres not frame to Notch...Any help would be Appreciated..

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

PM Elpolacko... he might have some ideas for your car

19. krooser

krooser

the T-bird is a big heavy car with a stout uni-body...you can pretty much do anything with it that you can do with a body/frame set-up.

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

hey, rick... bunch of us are going to WIR tomorrow to help pit for cowboy bob and 2b banjo and their ha/gr cars... you in? PM me

21. flaked62merc

flaked62merc

check out this wesite its my buddys shop and check out his bird
    " ntkustoms.com " also rccustoms sells a disk brake kit for the 58-60 squarebirds for under 500.00