Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did your Dad teach you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Kinky6

Kinky6

Never quit your job until you have the next one lined up and in hand.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

My dad has taught me (and continues to teach me) way too many things to list here.

3. He taught me to respect my elders,say yes Ma'am and Yes sir,and treat others the way I want to be treated. HRP

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you want to make a friend for life, compliment someone on thier hot rod. If you want to make an enemy for life, say something negative about it. They will never forget.

5. If my Dad didn't actually show me how to do it, he inspired me to learn how to do it. Everything from autos, to boats, to houses, he would figure out how to do it because he would rather try it than pay someone to do it for him. And I was always his right hand man. When I got out on my own, he was always there to help me with my projects/problems and we solved them together.

Thanks Dad.

[​IMG]

Pop's with his great-grandson

6. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

To respect a man and his build, especialky if he put his own time, effort, and money into it. If I dont like the car, say at least one nice thing and walk away.

7. Never buy a car from a council estate (a public housing project)......

8. threeston

threeston

pops wont read this or anything, hes not really a super mechanically minded guy, he knows software. but he does support me tremendously. Helping me go back to college for an engineering degree 10 years after high school, and that is just the beginning. I honestly couldn't do anything that would show my gratitude for father's day. If anyone has any ideas? Really the only thing I can think of is keep working as hard as I can to use the opportunities he helped provide. Maybe Ill just get him a card, since anything else would be, whats the word? inadequate.

9. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Tights tight and too tight is broken
    Stripping cars for parts when I was under 10
    Body work
    Shortening drive shafts
    Drugs are a waste of time
    How to drive.
    Too many to even list

But hey I still teach him things like how to use google, or things from my job(upholstery)

10. Mr. Speed

Mr. Speed
    from USA

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing
    Work from the top to the bottom (that applies to everything)
    You can't unlearn anything
    Precision is key
    Don't force it
    "Don't breathe that asbestos, boy, it'll give ya the caint-cer!"

11. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

honest to your friends, a liar to the buyer and a thief to the seller.

12. Keep yer pecker in yer pants...

My step dad.

13. bobfrev

bobfrev

when ever you borrow anything give it back in better condition then you recieved it in:
    if it was dirty give it back clean,
    if you break it fix it,
    if it had a quarter tank of gas bring it back full,

becuase of those few words of wisdom i can go to any one that knows me and borrow any tool or piece of equipment i need, anything from a $10 tool to a $50K piece of equipment without hesitation and it has saved me a ton of money on doing work myself especially when you need a special tool etc, that you may only need once but costs a lott of $$$$$
    also " if you say you will do something for someone do it", "your word is your bond " and after all these years a handshake is as good as a contract

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You don't tug an Supernan's cape
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim...

15. Fireant

Fireant
    from Texas

He taught me a lot of things, but some of the most important are patience, respect, and how to be a good dad.

16. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

told me to always use a condom

17. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

My Dad taught me that nobody owes you anything, make it on your own.

18. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

More than I can type here.
    The biggest being always be honest, never steal ANYTHING, and always work hard, so as to give time for play.

19. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Be true to your self don't follow lead. Build it like you want. Pay your help and your bills if you make any money after that then fine if not oh well.

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

He taught me to never ever tell him to "do it yourself" when he asked me to do something. That was painful lesson that I can laugh about now. :D

He taught me how to: drive a tractor, plow a field, drive a combine, drive a truck, bale hay, fix broken farm machinery, weld, tune up the family cars, paint, body work, build fence, rebuild an engine, cut and split firewood, fish, hunt, shear sheep, pour a sidewalk, the list goes on and on. In a nutshell: The Value Of Hard Work!

He taught me every good and important thing I know about life. All the bad and stupid stuff I managed to learn on my own. He is still the person I go to for advise and the older I get the smarter he is. I should have listened to him more closely in my youth, woulda saved me a lot of trouble and a lot of money!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  21. Never be afraid to try to do anything yourself. If someone can do something then you probably can too, it will just take longer and more work.

22. How to read a shop manual.

23. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

"Son, life is like a shit sandwich, the more bread you have the less shit you have to eat "

24. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing! I had to figure it all out on my own....

25. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Almost everything of value I ever learned can be traced back to the stuff my dad tried to teach me. Sometimes, I had to go the long way around to get the lesson, but now I just try to live up to his example. Not much of it had to do with cars, mostly about personal integrity and how to get along.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Amen James! :D.... R.I.P. Buddy! :(

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  27. Kenny P

Kenny P

Thanks for the replies, it's amazing how a lot of the comments sounded familiar, I heard many of those others too. Return the tools, don't force it, keep your word, be respectful....Stuff I hope my kids will remember and use as they grow up.

28. Just about everything worthwhile. Patience, honesty, kindness. Also a love for tools. Still have his drill, bench vise, and others. Part of that "greatest generation" and served in WWII. He has been gone now about eight years and man I miss him.....

29. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

My Dad left our family when I was 8 years old, so he didn't teach me much but I always remember him telling me "Don't do a half-assed job". Not alot but still a good bit of advise. Normal Norman

30. robertsregal

robertsregal

When at work you give a minimum of 100 percent, if it needs to be done Do It! but as I work on our 57 buick it amazes me how much I learned by observation in his shop by keeping my mouth shut. And yet there are times he still guides me through areas of this project. He has been gone since 1993. Shorty could fix most anything, Thanks Dad!