Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What did YOU pay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billytschopshop, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Maybe someone should start a "What kinda Shotgun did you trade for your car" thread. Mossburg and a C-note for a F-1.

I bought a 49 and 50 Ford with one running flathead with a three deuce Weiand intake and three extra Flatheads for $750.00 (2007 Money). The guy that sold them to me said," It's never what you got in em, it's what they're worth."

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Good answer!:D

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have 1932 Fords and Deuce stuff. So it does not really matter what I paid ... because

You never pay too much for 1932 Ford stuff ...
    you just bought it too early !!
    :D :D

[​IMG]

4. You have no business knowing what I paid for my car or what I have in it. Thats for Gold chainers to talk about not HAMBers

5. 51stylelinedeluxe

51stylelinedeluxe

dont matter, cuz the smile i get on my face while driving my car is PRICELESS!:D

6. eddieb

eddieb
    from Sharon SC

Bought a 42 chevy with a crate motor and trans for 2200.00. Bought a 40 chev abandoned project for 1700.00. Pulled motor and trans and using it in 40. Traded the 42 for a 69 vette. Sold the vette for 2500.00. spent about 2500.00 more so far. So I am less than 4500.00 in and need to spend about 7 or 8k more to finish it. So total about 10-12k...with a little horse trading.

7. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

i wish not to incriminate myself!! i dont keep track... What you dont know wont hurt you.

8. r8odecay

r8odecay

Nunya fuggin bidness

9. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

It's no longer a hobby when you start discussing money.

10. Aviator

Aviator

What difference does it make? It's my money and I can do what I want to with it. I'm happy otherwise I don't spend the money? BTW how much did you project cost?

11. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I don't understand why folks are taking offense to the ?.

I don't think the intention is "your car is a piece of shit if you didn't pay this much" or "you paid how much? what a gold chain a-hole"

it was simply swapping stories

I have a 48 f-1 I paid 900 and have that much more in parts currently and will need alot more to get to what I have in mind.

I have a 30 model A I paid 400 for but it is just tin and the pickup is first in line for money right now so the model A will be a lifetime project as my uncle called it :D

12. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Well. I have over 100 cars, some that were worth paying for were given to me, some that wern't, I paid for to get parts of of them that I needed, alot of them should really be crushed, but then tomorrow ill need a part off of one. The most I ever paid for any used car was $2850 for a wrecked 95 Z28 with an LT1/t56 and drove it home, took the engine and tranny out and put it in a $100 76 Vega GT wagon. Most I ever paid for a new one is $33000 and the payments still suck.

13. It was like 60 or 80 dollars form my 31 tudor

14. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I paid $1500 with a fresh motor in it. Probably got about $5k in it now, but I dont count. The $$$ isnt a factor, I just enjoy it.

Then

[​IMG]

Now

[​IMG]

15. Paid near to zip for my Stude. I actually traded my '53 F-100 project for it and I had pretty near zip in it.

I've probably got somewhere near to more than that into it now. Not a lot of progress but a pretty good collection of the exact pieces that I want.

I'll invest whatever it takes to get it to the place I want it to be.

This is pretty much where I was when I started. The interior is full upto the garnish moldings with stude pieces.

[​IMG]

From what I can gather these days about any rough project goes for about a grand up. Not worth it but that's what they sell for.

16. You don't get the point - some things are NO ONE'S business! Unless that person wishes to divulge that info voluntarily, it's like anything else involving money. It's NO ONE'S business, period. Too many think that other's business IS their business, when it surely is NOT.

It's a big thing called MANNERS, which far too many people lack these days. What a person pays for anything - house, car, clothes - is that person's business only.

17. None of that matters to anyone unless they have a stake in the project, and if you have a stake in it you don't have to ask. So if you want to buy into mine, send me a check and I'll be happy to lie to you about how much I've spent. I say that tongue in cheek, but I mean, c'mon, really!!!

18. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

I don’t object to the question but don’t have a very good answer. My projects, past and present, generally cost hundreds rather than thousands initially. Most subsequent investment has been in the form of my own labor and I have never kept track of miscellaneous expenses, such as for paint or sandpaper. I never built them for resale and, when I eventually had to sell them, I am sure I never ever made money on any of them. … Obviously, that approach would not work for someone doing this as a business.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It don't matter

20. Bull

Bull

a little.
    too much.
    never enough.

21. that struck me as funny.. good stuff

22. dmw56

dmw56

Let's see I paid Free, Free, Free, $50, $200, and $25K. How much into them.....I'll never tell because I lost track.

23. smarg

smarg

I made him an offer he couldn't Refuse..........Thats all.

[​IMG]

24. I think you guys have been a little hard on the poor man. I think what he was looking for was the thing where the guy says " I bought my '32 three window coupe when I was 17; paid fifty bucks for it and my dad was pissed off" Now I wish I had bought two LOL." I think that was the intent here, not someone trying to be rude or pry. I paid $150 for the pile of junk in my avatar. It was a fair bit then, but now I am glad I did it!;)

25. jchav62

jchav62

My older brother gave my the '62 in 2001.:D

(it did have a bed and doors when he gave it to me, this is the earliest pic I have, already under reconstruction)

Attached Files:

26. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

a million bucks...money's no object here :D

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

NUNYA...NUNYA damn bidnez.

Both of the 32s that I bought, I thought I paid too much at the time and didn't want to admit it to anyone. I was afraid that I would be considered a sucker but I didn't care. Both of them would be considered steals today.

Most of the people that publicize the price that they paid either got it for a steal and know it or they are trying to impress people with the amount of cash that they paid. Neither one is of any value to me.

28. The truth is that sometimes I pay too much for something and sometimes I don't. I'm not ashamed of either.

If someone doesn't want to answer its probably alright if they don't. I know its hard to not think that someone is talking directly to you when they pop a question but the truth of the matter is that if they don't call you by name they probably aren't talking to you at all. It is the INTERNET and most of the time no one is talking directly to us at all.

I hate to admit this but sometimes I am as guilty as the next guy. Try and keep it light, if you need to be offended remember it isn't about you at all; its all about Traditional Rods and Customs if you keep that in mind you can find plenty to be offended by that actually matters.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  29. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

A Lot! But I am still happy with the deal, as is (I think) the previous owner. :D

He did say he wanted to buy it back from me at the mooneyes xmas show one year. :eek:

I declined, I am too busy making memories, and learning more about cars because of it. :cool:

But if he (or anyone) offered me a large enough pile of cash for it, I would have no problems looking for something else entirely. :rolleyes:

30. chopped

chopped

No one has a gun to your head, if you don't want to say then don't. Why would you even post if you don't want to answer? I paid $2.400 for the Buick and traded carpentry work for the Ford. And I'm not such a wussy that I have to hide anything from my wife.