Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Replaced the starter. It tried to strand me yesterday, and we can’t be having that.

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

September 21st 2021 Two of the nailhead valves were stuck and were left to soak a bit with application of Kroil penetrating oil. Got one free by heating the valve guide with MAP torch and quenching with Kroil but the other bad boy wouldn't budge and the only effect was setting the work bench on fire . . . twice. Then . . . the torch valve lit up! Torch valve engulfed in flames, I rushed to the head and submerged it in the toilet. Damn!

Eighty-sixed the torch assembly and attempted to order a new one. These things have increased a couple of orders of complexity since I last bought one. They have everything short of Bluetooth now. Research is required. Groan. This is beginning to look like one of my epic struggles.

Put a chunk of heater hose over the stubborn valve and guide to dam up more penetrating oil where it needs to work. Give it a couple of whacks with the brass hammer every now and then. Maybe it will loosen up. Beer of the day was Clown Shoes Beer Mango American Kolsch. Background music was Grateful Dead American Beauty.

[​IMG]

High test 63, blowby, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It is ready, valves are adjusted. I used the last of my 20 yr old Kendall 50w lol. My son built the trans for me about a year ago. Primed the oil system and all is well !

studebaker build 001.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG

4. X-cpe

X-cpe

Have you tried squirting the bottom end of the guide through the port. Also after tapping down on the valve you might give the head of the valve a couple of taps in case it moved a .001.

LAROKE likes this.
  5. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx, I'll do that.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

September 23rd 2021 James Rick on FB suggested induction heat and I have a weakness for shiny new specialty tools. I researched and ordered a Bolt Buster induction heater to try on the stubborn stuck valve guide.

The Bolt Buster arrived and I read the manual, all of two pages with six additional pages of lawyer CYA. This is a nifty tool! It heated the top 3/8" of the valve guide cherry red in less than fifteen seconds. Valve still doesn't move yet with brass hammer persuasion but we'll keep at it. FB buddy Kenneth Crenwelge said he'd have it in the hydraulic press by now but I don't have a press . . . yet.

I'll try Acetone/ATF soakings in lieu of the Kroil when my acetone shipment gets here. Beer of the day was Adelbert's Brewery's Scratchin' Hippo Amber Ale. Background music was Jerry Lee Lewis Last Man Standing.

[​IMG]

Deuces, Budget36, Dave Mc and 7 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Installed the body and cleaned up a lot. Had the battery on charge for 4hours on the 2 amp setting. Ready for the parachute too. Probably going to start it tomorrow if I can find my “y” connection pipe and the muffler setup as to not bother the neighbors. Saturday might be better. El Mirage is at the end of October and I’m hopeful this it for my driving and the car for that matter. A man must know his limits..
    98FC1468-AFC5-45C1-8FCC-D4F3CACB10A5.jpeg

Dogberg, Deuces, Budget36 and 12 others like this.
  8. ken bogren

ken bogren

Sold my 61 f100 unibody.

9. choptop40

choptop40

reading members post and daydreaming...actually very relaxing...

Budget36, LAROKE and Lil32 like this.
  10. LAROKE

LAROKE

September 24th 2021 Time to quit pussy-footin' around. Having decided to replace the valves and, not getting any progress with many taps from the brass hammer, I resolved to heat up the stuck valve guide cherry red again and give it one forceful whack with my twelve pound sledge.

Gave it more than one whack and got movement. Only it was the guide and not the valve that moved. Heated it up again but because of the new, lower position, the valve stem went cherry red, not the guide. Should have stopped and thought about that but I didn't. The next whack bent the valve and broke the guide.

Just damn! Screwed the pooch. This is the same head with the twisted off stud. It's becoming my nemesis. Some deep ponder mode thinking is in order. Beer of the day was Clown Shoes Beer Space Cupcake India Pale Ale. Background music was The Eagles Desperado.

[​IMG]

11. Sorry for your struggle.:(

12. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx but it's all good. It's the journey, not the destination that matters.

Deuces, 40two, High test 63 and 3 others like this.
  13. .Your pragmatism is admirable.:)

Deuces and Joe Blow like this.
  14. ERguitar

ERguitar

"Beer of the day was Clown Shoes Beer Space Cupcake India Pale Ale."

Damn man, try saying that three times fast ( or after a few). Fortunately it sounds like you had already decided to replace the valves so maybe not as painful as it could have been.

Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Decided to try my sons dirt engine carb. We both have 14-1 compression. It’s bigger than the one I’ve run for 20 years but I feel I need to try a change I’ll start it this weekend. We still have a month until the El Mirage meet. 39ABDC18-1002-40E8-898A-51B063BDBE3E.jpeg

Dogberg, Deuces, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  16. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Went to our local fall festival. Didn't get pics of all the cars but I did get the people's choice. Who would a thought. Lol. Most of the cars were gone when I we snapped the pic. IMG_7089.jpg

17. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knocked some of the parade car look off the Coupe. Now to drop it a few inches.
    thumbnail (11).jpeg thumbnail (9).jpeg

18. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

Got the motor and tranny installed. Now looking at how to run wires and hoses cleanly. 22103DD2-CD1E-4A25-BA64-6514B30F9A94.jpeg

Deuces, jimmy six, Hamtown Al and 6 others like this.

19. I wudda thunk that (I LOVE that car!!!!!), but...JMHO... ditch the skirts and show off your tidy whities.

Hamtown Al and slim38 like this.
  20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Started to replace old PS hoses, that led to replacing the old pump too. Then cut that ugly alt bracket, might as well blast the old crappy chrome off the alternator. Repaint everything and put it back together. Cleaned up some wiring while I'm waiting on alt brushes and threw on some new belts too. This was going to be a half hour simple project.. Good times.

Attached Files:

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Drove the old Vette to breakfast. That was fun. Then drove the 'new' Vette to auto body class and sanded. Not as fun.

20210925_085526.jpg 20210925_090440.jpg 20210925_131658.jpg

23. slim38 likes this.
  24. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I got this pile on it's feet so we can get the motor installed. I pulled a couple strings to see where things stand and found the rear axle a 1/4 inch out of square. I took the shock plates off and it is now within about 1/32 so I have to work on that. Plus working on the front to get the toe kinda close. The right side is good but the left side I have to knock back apart to adjust the end out about an inch. studebaker build 019.JPG

Dogberg, blowby, Max Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  25. High test 63

High test 63

Damn, Jimmy Six, that is a bad ass machine!... But im sure you know that!
    Lol

jimmy six and j hansen like this.
  26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

in the middle of replacing this old 1973 302SBF , Had low Oil pressure at idle when warmed up
    IMG_0476.JPG

With this 1987 5.0 Roller motor, Had to find a 50 oz. 164 tooth flexplate to mate up with the 1973 C4 trans., also a new shorty waterpump ( the old shorty is not interchangeable with the newer motor )
    1987Fiveoh.jpg .
    Also cleaning up a few loose ends while apart .

Joe Blow, 61Cruiser, RICH B and 9 others like this.
  27. High test 63

High test 63

Put a new right front caliper in during the day, then decided to run the heap down to Miss High tests' where she looks after her mother. Couldn't leave till almost 10pm. A beautiful 50dgr night. Stopped for gas then a beer on the 1 1/2 hr drive was just what i needed after a tough week. Re-charged! IMG_20210925_222508388.jpg

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing big. I changed a recalcitrant thermostat in the '37 Chevy coupe and painted the little inline 6 for the Dodge truck project. Progress no matter how slight.

29. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

recalcitrant
    rĭ-kăl′sĭ-trənt
    adjective
    1. Stubbornly resistant to or defiant of authority or guidance. synonym: obstinate.
    2. Difficult to manage or deal with.
    3. Resistant to chemical decomposition; decomposing extremely slowly.
    4. Had to look that one up.

30. Finished building a motor for my kids car. Need to clean up the intake and valve covers next. Hoping to get it in this week.

1776A954-9E79-4380-9453-5D425362CEBE.jpeg 8F81A543-6342-4C61-97A0-D2BCD870FD3E.jpeg 1C9F6013-C183-440F-BFC4-3E9CB49D2E48.jpeg

Turnipseed, Joe Blow, blowby and 18 others like this.