Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It was actually a warm 20 degrees that day.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TK-5 all back in behind the banger, drive line in, ebrake hooked... Did 120 mph + on the jack stands no vibration. Now if I can get the one that is blocking this one in I can drive it!!! IMG_20210221_143418442.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After installing a PVC system last week been trying find the sweet spot idling. I seemed have found it. Vacuum on the crankcase is 1.5” which is good. 17” of intake vacuum and the Unisyns are very close. Rpm in drive is 600. BC1806DA-2552-4621-BCD1-63BD1DD1977E.jpeg D8AF1E02-590E-44BB-8B6C-623B76BD44F0.jpeg A1621FA7-BAE8-4BCA-BAE9-FD057185039A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Moparmaniac79

Moparmaniac79

I emptied out my car of at least 150lbs of dirt and rat turds. Pretty sure some of the neighbors think I disposed of a body trying to lift the trash bags into the dumpster...
    Turned out to be better than I expected minus the seat frames. But I did find one headlight bezel and the shifter knob amongst the ruins. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, 40two, mgtstumpy and 9 others like this.
  5. Phil 41 Chevy

Phil 41 Chevy

sand and more sanding

Moparmaniac79 and winduptoy like this.
  6. j hansen

j hansen

On what?? We need pictures:D

40two likes this.
  7. Went for a drive, me in my car and my brother in his truck. Didn't get far when mine wouldn't idle. Pulled over and saw fuel leaking from the carb base. Not sure where to source is, but made it home. Bummer!

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the Billybob Shop log

February 22nd 2021 A body at motion tends to remain at motion. A body at rest remains at rest and, lazy slug that I am, I am the poster boy for remaining at rest. I got an e-mail at work on Thursday morning from my landlord telling me they wanted me present to check for water leaks. I went back to the shop and while I was waiting, continued to tear down the nailhead. This may be the catalyst I need to get my ambition back.

Took out the remaining seven piston assemblies, balancer, timing gear cover and timing gears and chain. Only problems I had was getting the timing gear off the crankshaft. I took this progress as a good omen.

On Saturday, the crankshaft and bearings were removed, along with the camshaft. The only things remaining on the block are the cam bearings, freeze plugs and oil gallery plugs.

Also gave the block it's first cleaning with Oileater and rags. That got ninety percent of the dirt and grease off. Beer of the day was Payette Brewing Company's Mutton Buster Brown Ale.

[​IMG]

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Neat. I've used a Unisyn on bikes for years but never thought of an auto adapter.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Took 2 adapters to do it. No much available for the carb top.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Being I still run a Ford Thunder Bird "Y"292 V8 from the time I first got my 28A running in 1959 an still drive it.. Most all my friends know,I always looking for old Ford Y-blocks,no matter how rusty, good ,or bad. Running "Y" for a very long time,takes a lot of parts.
    I'm always on the hunt for Ford Y-block's more so now then ever,harder to find,,. I've worn down a number of them over the years.
    So this passed weekend got a lead from a buddy Serg ,on a rusty but kind of all together "Y" for sale,been kept in side in the corner for a long time,no other history known,.
    So off we went to look it over' ;Looks like a 1955 Y to me Vac only Dis. with small base 4bbl/carb {gone} an dual EX but one side tab broken off, automadic TQ but no tran.,so could be 272 or 292*?. Asking $100, was low enough,I got it .;
    If it's got a good crank?=I'm ahead,or if it's 292 bore? an bores are good?,I'm ahead right?,we'll see at some point later ! Be some sellible parts
    at very least? For now another spot in my garage filled.

UPDATE; In only few weeks from that;;,got a call from another buddy Lin,about a add he saw for free "Y" 292 2bbl engine. I called the add an went an got it. Look near new,very clean an owner said,it came out of good running car 1960 Ford 2D Hardtop,that he put a 430 FE in. Was tired of the "Y" taking up space. Just wanted it gone!! When it rains it pours! "Y"s Maybe a good runner? This time???

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  12. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I am cleaning the block for a rebuild , so after a pressure wash and some cleaning with varsol I have it soaking in some purple cleaner. The first picture is fresh cleaner the second is 2 hrs later. I have a heater element dropped in the tub to heat the solution. studebaker build 001.JPG studebaker build 002.JPG

mad mikey, Lil32, juan motime and 6 others like this.
  13. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

That’s great. What kind of heating element are you using? Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

15. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

TA DAD
    I would love to see some pics of the block after it gets pulled and rinsed. Had to sell my jet washer and am looking at options for cleaning. I haven’t been sold on the laundry soda and electrolysis option yet.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Installed the new heater ducts and the new seals on the air deflector. 20210223_210255.jpg 20210223_210248.jpg

mad mikey, winduptoy, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  17. Didn't find any stock '42-'48 hood lifts at my kids place; so I ordered a kit from Speedway. The guys that said this was good, were right, the pieces fit and the struts work. Now I can get back to work on the front sheet metal without the stick in the way. IMG_20210225_165448.jpeg

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I aired up the Firestone SS radials as the first step to try and bring my avatar out of its’ 45 year slumber. Have to eventually swap in a different flathead and go through all the system, and hopefully get the gas tank out from behind the seat. Lots of work and life to cover before that happens.

19. The body met the frame for the first time. There will be a long period of adjustment. Plus, got to get tires. The fronts are at least 30 years old. IMG_0433.jpg

20. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I drove it in 5o'clock traffic today!! Got plenty of thumbs up and smiles from the comutter crowd. It was 70 degrees today..........

21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hee hee, nothing! Tossed my tools in the box and went shopping for gun parts with a buddy of mine to finish up an AR build he is doing- and of course I ended up spending too much money on parts for my projects. Oh well back at it tomorrow!

Stock Racer likes this.
  22. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Here is the end result, the soak time could have been longer ( this was about 12 hrs ) and the solution ( Purple Power ) was on the weak side. That was about one and a half gallons of cleaner in that large tub. studebaker build 001.JPG studebaker build 008.JPG studebaker build 009.JPG

Attached Files:

23. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I spent the morning gathering up parts I have had boxed up to put this thing together. I am having to take a inch out of the front of the sump to clear the steering. I missed that when locating the motor. studebaker buils 001.JPG studebaker buils 003.JPG

Attached Files:

mad mikey, Lil32, Stock Racer and 3 others like this.
  24. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Thanks for the pics. Looks like it came out real nice.

mad mikey and TA DAD like this.
  25. olds vroom

olds vroom

I fired up my fresh rebuild today. I’ve been holding off for better temperatures but I got a call back to work on Monday so I wanted to get it fired up while I was off. I’ve got a few bugs to get past but it runs .

mad mikey, winduptoy and saltflats like this.
  26. Bjorn Wilsson

Bjorn Wilsson

So the body is back on the frame. I finally got the frame straight and we could lift the body on. Now I " just" have to tighten it to the frame align the doors. Then I can split the roof and replace the raingutters 010.jpg 011.jpg

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Well, IMG_4736.JPG
    This is a corvette crossmember. The inspiration for Its design was birthed in the Devil's Anus! It was created by angry GM engineers who from their graves find humor in the fact that I had to take all 16 bolts out one quarter turn at a time while under the car!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The same designers who wanted the trans crossmembers in the 49 to 54s riveted in and the trans needed to come up through the floor.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Design engineers are not “car” guys. They don’t work on them and don’t care. The motto framed on their office wall says, and I quote.. “Fuckum make them buy new”

61Cruiser, mad mikey, Papas32 and 3 others like this.
  30. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

Ummm, excuse my lack of knowledge but why a 1/4 turn at a time?

31hotrodguy likes this.