Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Ok I got the planishing hammer till spring !

Told him how much I loved that thing and he said he is glad he created a monster
    Got some more done on the radiator support and hitting it running in the morning ,,,
    Love it when a plan comes together

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

gearhead1600 likes this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Mounted the battery tray next, then I mounted the winch cable guide brackets....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gearhead1600 likes this.
  5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Tomorrow I will mount the winch and stake side lumber... Then I will be very happy to finally finish this project... IMG_20190129_123358439.jpeg IMG_20190129_124245554.jpeg IMG_20190129_065711161.jpeg IMG_20190129_065728320.jpeg

gearhead1600 likes this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice battery box...

classiccarjack likes this.
  7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I didn't do anything in the shop. No play time for me. Had to make a living.

Terrible80 likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

More progress - Med res.jpg
    Started on a long overdue upgrade of my shop. The shelves on the right have a 30+ year collection of "stuff". The shelves need to be pulled, plywood and paint applied to the walls, then put back. probably 30% of the shelving contents needs to find it's way to the trash...

9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks Choptop!

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

It seems that no matter how much you toss out, the pile continues to grow...

Hamtown Al and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Installed the last part of the rear window installation on the sunliner,found the wire on to cover the seam above the window at another local upholstery shop.

classiccarjack likes this.
  12. Had to replace the battery in the wife's car this morning; sucks it was -29.

13. Today? Not at -5 degrees and -20 windchill. Recently, though, I picked up a piece of 16-gauge stainless from the ends bin at my local metal vendor. I cut it down to a piece around 12" by 6" or so, ordered some Cratex half-inch sticks, went to the drill press, established a 0.4-inch grid on some cardboard and did a little engine turning. I'm satisfied with the results, and will cut holes for a 3-3/8" tach, flanked by 2-1/16" trans temp and oil pressure gauges. Then I'll drill some holes for turn signal indicator lights, a high-beam indicator light and an ignition light. I'll mount it up above the windshield of the '29AA I've been working on for decades.
    My bi-metal hole saw may be toast after cutting through the stainless for the smaller gauges, and that may convince me to "invest" in a diamond-imbedded 3-3/8" hole saw for the middle (tach) gauge hole. If so, that forces me to make more of these and sell them, to IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2157.JPG allay the cost of the pricey hole saw. Whaddaya think?

14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Oh no! That's horrible... One time I had to help a buddy with his water pump on his Mustang, it was windy with a -50:eek:r so wind chill. We would break a bolt loose and run back into the house. It took about 8 hours to change the water pump. The wrenches would stick to our gloves and hands! I hope to never do that again....

15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I think it looks bitchin!

16. pumpman

pumpman

Froze my ass off today.

17. I used hole saws on my kid's mill to make the gauge holes in my dash. The VFD let us use a slower speed than I could on my drill press. If I did it again, I think I would try a fly cutter and carbide bit.

In the past I did it the old fashioned way of drilling holes around the perimeter until the center was out and then finishing with a file. I kinda remember that as an accomplishment, getting five gauge holes in a piece of 1/8" stainless.

18. Thanks for some optional ideas. I wish I had a mill - and the skills to use it - and I guess it would be cheaper to take it to a machine shop and have the holes fly cut. I'll try my bi-metal hole saw on the small holes first, use lots of cutting oil, keep it cool and take my time.
    Thanks all for the positive support.

19. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Same here. It’s enough to make some people, who shall remain unnamed, think about moving back to Arizona.

Pat

20. Been working on this mess... 60.JPG 61.JPG 63.JPG

gearhead1600 likes this.
  21. 41fred207

41fred207

Too much spaghetti for even my appetite!!

22. I repaired my snowblower again, it seems everything is giving up the ghost all at once with it. Drive wheels weren't engaging correctly, only would engage under light pressure, then the drive cable broke. 4hrs and 4 different repair shops later I finally find the cable, fix that and still doesn't work, turns out it was the tensioner spring.
    Get that fixed yesterday in time for our 20 + inches, get the driveway half done today and the freaking auger clutch cable breakes, had to go out in whiteout conditions to get that cable to fix...ugh

RICH B likes this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Oh man, that is aweful. I hope after the next fix, the thing holds up.

Deuces likes this.
  24. LAROKE

LAROKE

I made some cold weather improvements in the shop can

[​IMG]

25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Nothing.....i think I'd burn up a tank of LP trying to heat the shop today..... 20190131_071447.jpg

26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Out playing with the toys.
    Sometimes more fun than driving the old cars.

[​IMG]

Elcohaulic and classiccarjack like this.
  27. trollst

trollst

Aint doing nothing, seems some years ago Mrs Troll swallowed a tooth pick, has had gut problems for years, finally found out what her issue was and she's in the hospital 1 1/2 hours from here. They're gonna cut her open and fish it out, then a week more in the hospital, I'll put on over a thousand miles in the next week. Winter weather and roads to match.....

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My wife did a cluster plate for my '55 F100, similar to your op, but used a circular 7/8" wire brush on the drill press, indexed it and ran the rows like clockwork. Then she did a full length 'strip' across the lower half, matching the engine-turned pattern.
    She didn't use stainless, however...it was hard aluminum. The back said, "SPEED LIMIT 55"...
    Now, how do you suppose that sign found its way to my shop???

osage orange and gearhead1600 like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

O.K., sorry... Today. Yesterday, in fact.
    My new steel bench (working table, .125" thick, 36" X 84", or 'three by seven') sat in the 'new' shop for 4 months, my back was too bad to move it, or bring the cherry picker around from the front garage.
    Young wife still works, so I'm destined to find ways or just do other stuff 'til help comes by.
    My sons visited Sunday (after a morning at Turlock) and they lifted the table top onto the solid wood benchtop and heavy steel legs, but to my alarm there was a big 2 foot rust spot on top of the new raw steel! Rough, too...
    I doused a terrycloth towel in white vinegar, soaking it and covering the spot.
    It'll be good after some rubbing (after 3 days) but the non insulated shop (!) is even rusting tools! Cleaned those up, just light surface rust...but something HAD to be done! (most of my tools in the back shop are also Snap-On and Mac, like my main sets up front. Can't have rust!)
    Solution is to raise the atmosphere just a couple of degrees inside, an open flame candle is recommended. (not a fan of 'open flame' around 'precious metal'!)
    I got a Dietz railroad type lantern, will burn for 41 hours on 31 ounces of cooking oil. Also will do fine on red diesel. ($3 a gallon)
    I've hung my lantern inside the man door, 4 feet from entrance, just above head-high.
    Wick is soaked, this morning I'll light it up, think it's the solution.
    My other work table in the front garage (engine prep and ass'y room) started a small couple of spots, just surface. I 'annointed' it with Lemon-scented PLEDGE.
    The cheap generic stuff from Walmart did NOT 'coat', PLEDGE is the answer.
    Gibbs better, but high $$$...

osage orange likes this.
  30. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Pulled the body off a project I'm working on for a buddy,
    figured the weather was too nice to work so I drove around aimlessly for a while..
    Stopped at the old lady's antique space..

20190131_160935.jpg 20190131_150043.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.