The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.
Me? I set fire to my coupe.
Drug home some parts cars and parts. Went to a large auction yesterday hoping to score a rough 51 Merc. Lost on that, but got some good stuff cheap...
Put some paint on the inner fenders, radiator mounts, and front yoke for my '47 today. Even managed to move 'em from the backyard where I sprayed them into the garage to dry without messing anything up.
Spent the day on my recently acquired 63 olds. Finished rebuilding and reinstalling the wheel cylinders, replaced all the OG brake lines, and mounted my new booster and master cylinder. Now if my brake hoses will arrive I can have brakes!
Sent from my SM-G988U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Finally got the hot rod driving after a 2-year build. Giddyup.
Today I bought another sheet metal shear, and yet another welding table. The new table will become the general workbench, so my welding table can go back to its stated job duties.
I also looked at another vertical mill, which I may buy tomorrow, pending the availability of transportation.
Did an ignition system tune up on the A pickup on Saturday, plugs, cap, rotor and new cables. I was surprised it was running as well as it was, when I went to pull the cap it was just sitting on top of the distributor, not secured down! I guess I loosened it to move it out of the way when painting the firewall back in the Spring time, and I never locked it back down again. Wow. Not only that, but 3 of the terminals inside the cap were badly corroded. I'm not sure why just 3 out of 8 would be corroded like that, but maybe the cables weren't pushed in far enough into the terminal causing an arc to form which lead to corrosion? I don't know, but with the combination it should've been running much worse than it was, or not at all. I only changed it all as I was trying to dial in the carb's a week or so ago and was still having some idling issues, so I wanted to eliminate any possibility of an ignition problem before tweaking the carbs any more. Well it's running good now!
There must be more to this one!
Yesterday had the pleasure of giving Neighbor Scott Fisk (Studio 669) and his younguns, plus good bud Charlie (One Armed Bandit) and Anna Decker with their’s, a good Hay Ride Blast in the BNGR. ALMOST too much fun! We’re past leaf peak, but still hangin in.
Well I started cleaning up the firewall. While doing that I kept looking at the dash. It was driving me crazy because it really needs to be painted. So next thing I know I'm cutting the windshield out.
Deep into getting the other half of garage crap moved into new barn style shed so the other 56 Chevy (red 210 Delray) doesn't have to live outside under a car cover anymore (pain putting on, taking off, repeat!). All this prep so shed could be built, fetching more rack uprights and beams has put V8 swap on the back burner for the Delray. 283 is all done looking pretty on the engine stand with all it's brackets and pulley's, plug wires, exhaust manifolds in check. All good just the same. The 235 is still pushing the old girl around just fine so the 283 swap actually isn't a total must just yet.
Started installing the front clip, not pretty but I can make it work. Saving the left side doors for last.
Doing some work on the Falcon- cooling issues-
Working on my brake lines and I ran out of tubing so it is break time !
Drove the Mercury up to Fresburg to visit a friend and check out his old jalopy.
Love that Merc. ^^
Scored some more 34 parts I needed.
Installed the inner sheet metal, reconditioned the radiator with a coat of BBQ paint and mounted it. Screwed the cowl lace down and as usual Vintique shorted the screws. Started to mount the trunk latch; I had originally mounted it in the lid and it seemed to take forever (along with a bunch of cell phone videos of what was going on in the inside) to get it positioned so the cut out and boxed area I had welded into the lid fit.
Putting the finishing touches on the Plymouth.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Time was up for an oil change on our 56 Y. Been converted to spin on filter 7 years ago. Typical 30 minute job after jack up with stands. Never had trouble but the car has PS with all the hoses. I always punch a hole on the filter an let it drain before I start on the pan. 1 hour later, 3 different filter wrench’s, and a 6” pair of Channel locks it was off. Never had this before. Anyway Lucas HR oil and a new Wix is on, no leaks for now after a 30 minute drive.
Post 914, 2bubbas, nice work on the inner fender/firewall brace. Really makes a difference how things handle huh.
Did some assembly and some mock up.
Got some parts back from CharlieNY. (Highly recommend him for carb and distributor work)
Got the o/d cable on the Merc but still no o/d so it looks like I will check the electrical side,there is a 1977 license in the car so I think its been sitting that long.
Went to the NorthEast Ga Swap Meet this morning. Came back empty handed. Most sellers were packing it up due to rain. But it was nice to get out and talk to other car folks.
This afternoon got my oil changed and fuel filters replaced on my '40. Then got my CharlieNY freshly rebuilt Holley 94 carb mounted up. The old flathead is purring like a kitten. On track to drive it to Moonshine Fest later this month.
Drilled the holes to mount my gauges, and pulled a few wires to get a idea on my wiring.
CrossMembers Saint Louis Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Run, Saturday 10/10/20. Rollin down the road.
Damn! That's frustrating!
Went a few rounds Saturday at the nostalgia race at Little River dragway. Carb was being a little persnickety in the heat but wide open going down track she was hauling ass. Had a good time. Saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in a while. Other than the heat it was a fun time with a good turnout.
Separate names with a comma.