Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Been a good day, or should say 24 hours. Having just installing new bearings, bushings and everything but gears and synchro, my 39 ford trans was sticking in 3rd. Initially, it shifted OK but when it did stick in 3rd, The synchro sleeve was traveling too far forward ( OR SO IT SEEMED) and the ball bearings were actually being exposed ( ain't suppose to see them) , another fraction and they would have been out . I kept fiddling thinking how in the world this was happening. Figured the wear on the shifter was the prob, fixed that by welding to build up surface then re installing tower,
    and ut shifted good removed top just to peek and I saw the prob, I realized the hub on the synchro had been sticking to the 2nd gear tapered end. I hadnt noticed this before , but saw a gap between the hub and 2nd gear that was not there when stuck in 3rd.Then I remembered that the hub itself floats a little bit , either toward 2nd when shifting to 2nd gear and towards 3rd when shifting into 3rd gear .When it did stick in 3rd, the hub was remaining in a more rearward position ( stuck to 2nd) while the sleeve moved to where it was suppose to be when shifted in 3rd thus exposing the ball bearings and locking it in 3rd. ( to get the sleeve back over the ball bearings, I slipped a large radiator hose clamp over the bearings and hub , tightened and pulled the sleeve back in place. Although I had cleaned the 2nd gear tapered area well, I
    re oiled it a lot and now it no longer sticks and travels or slides as it should. Only explanation I can come up with is when first reassembled the trans and after added the trans fluid I didn't pour oil over that area and being the oil level is way below , perhaps a slightly dry start up and run might have caused the friction to be a bit more aggressive. Another explanation was the shifter was really worn and I might have shifted a bit hard into 2nd causing the hub to stick to 2nd . After all the adjustments , welding and so forth, it has not stuck again in about 50 shifts. Also, I finally removed my fuel tank and replaced sending unit. Now I can actually see how much fuel ( or fairly close) I have so it has been a good day.

alanp561 and Lil32 like this.
  2. Started version 2 of the lower gauge panel for the ‘41 p/u, I had to buy thinner stock as the 1/4” thick aluminum I had was too thick. I also picked up a real clean set of F100 front brakes for $25 :).

Darin Younce and Lil32 like this.
  3. Well fired the new motor to find it puking anti freeze out of the water neck, the damn Tower clamps I bought and swear we’re tight as hell also spewing antifreeze..and than the damn trans cooler line I spent hours on and had to deal with once due to a loose fitting on the case decided I didn’t do a good job and decided to puke everywhere....so I shut it off, went to NPD, bought a new water neck, thermostat, and gasket, put that on..gonna have to drain the radiator to deal with the leaking hose on the water pump..I can’t tighten the tower clamp any more..gonna throw a regular band clamp on it..gotta empty 6 quarts of tranny fluid, pull the dipstick off again, take a deep breath and deal with that trans cooler line again..
    On a another note..the motor sounds very mean..11:1 makes for a snappy throttle response....I had it run if for about 2 minutes and shut it off..gotta fix the other issues and continue breaking it in

4. Finished aligning the mounts on the 56, everything is aligned straight with the pinion shaft.

Attached Files:

bobss396 likes this.
  5. patrick20

patrick20

I thought you guys might want to check out my latest video, and keep an eye on what I will be posting for sale in the next few weeks. Thanks for watching guys! Please remember to hit the subscribe button on YouTube, and hit the notifications button to see the latest videos.

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  6. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Fabricated a balancer puller and finally got the harmonic balancer off!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Got up early and looked through the stuff I got at the Canfield Swap Meet yesterday. I started cleaning up some things but it got too damn hot, when sweat starts dripping off my hat I quit! So far the rest of the day has been spent looking at old little R&C magazines and watching reruns of Gunsmoke and Flea Market Flip, Lara keeps me entertained pretty well:p

High test 63 and Lil32 like this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

9. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

Then you would never finish them.

j hansen likes this.
  10. Put a new carb on my '47. It's so shiny, I guess I should figure out how to clean all the years worth of garage dust off the rest of the engine. It sure doesn't blow off like house dust. Brought the right screws up to the shop and finished mounting the relay panel. Came home and finished putting together a fuse panel out of pieces I picked up back in '93. Looking forward to put it in the car on Wednesday.
    193 new carb med.jpg 196 relay panel med.jpg 197 fuse panel med.jpg

Blues4U, Lil32 and LAROKE like this.
  11. Mounted the fuse panel in the '47 and started routing the wires. I've always used twist ties as a means to keep the wires together as I route wires; but I'm wondering if there is something better you guys may be using.
    202 fuse panel (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    olscrounger, Lil32 and High test 63 like this.
  12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cable lacing. Cut little pieces to tie up the harness as you’re running it, then lace it once it’s in place.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RICH B and LAROKE like this.
  13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Did my first real flathead job, new driver's side water pump in the shoebox. Back driving around.

14. leon bee

leon bee

Here's a real Arkansas pic for y'all. Finally got hot and sweaty enough out to decide to get back on the 52 Hudson Hornet pickup:

Hudson 2 005.JPG

15. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Fixed horn on my 40 Plymouth. It has a steering column from a 72 mustang, grant steering wheel adapter so that I can use a limeworks 40 ford replica steering wheel. Yes it’s a franken Plymouth p10 coupe but it works. I figured out that the dual horn pins in the steering column on a ford are positive on the top pin and negative on the lower which makes the pin that is the horn button center contact needs to be wired to the inside ring on the grant wheel adapter. Works great now. No need for an extra horn button when the one in the center of the steering wheel works like a champ now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, David Gersic and Lil32 like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I found out what happens when you connect the other way.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. ERguitar

ERguitar

More patch panels and peeled some tires off their crappy OT rims. I plan on running them on the back of the F3 (eventually).
    They are new take offs from work so I can buy them cheap and won't feel bad about a burnout or two. KIMG0419.JPG 15957827635423014624299477923550.jpg

alanp561, 61Cruiser and Lil32 like this.
  18. Been stinking HOT and humid last 2 weeks..

So I got the same 2 things done the last 2 weekends....

Jack and Shit !

19. Bodywork on my own car :D That's a change! Hey, did you know that sweat and body filler dust make cake batter? 20200726_182343.jpg o_O

20. Was that an existing puller that you modified, or did you mill the slots in that piece of bar stock. Either way, good use of the grey matter.
    Bob

21. hammer-time

hammer-time

Looks to me that he took two flat bars and welded spacer/nuts in between. Very cleaver!

j-jock likes this.
  22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Did the first round of epoxy primer yesterday, hope to get the entire body and frame coated by end of august. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LAROKE, j hansen, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  23. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Only too well matey, only too well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. Stuck the dash in the '47 and figured out the switches didn't quite fit the way I remembered.
    203 switches (Medium).jpg

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well shit ! Saturday was my birthday and I still have birthday cake left...you pretty ruined THAT for me:mad::eek:

Blues4U and blowby like this.
  26. No shit?? Happy birthday ol buddy!! :D

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well thanks Lloyd...but you sure know how to make finishing the remaining b-day cake pretty unappealing:(

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been chasing the trans leak on the CruiseOmatic in my 56 Ford. Seems to come and go. This time I removed the cooling lines, fill tube, and pan. I spotted a threaded hole about 3/4’s up the side of the main case and after a net search found out it was for a breather line that went to the rear of the main case. I decided to make a line that ended up near rear top of the engine. Ordered a rear end housing breather for the end... hope this finally fixes it. BAFD7F80-461D-4704-BDCF-453F9AB29830.jpeg

blowby, RICH B and Lil32 like this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

City came over today for inspection of the pavers and awning I installed. They can be real dickheads so I figured maybe I'd get on their good side by common interest. So I pulled the heap out and parked it there, along with fishing poles, baseball mitt, bicycle, the dog... It worked, he focused right in on the Bantam, he had an Austin Healey 3000 he restored! After telling me all about it he glanced around and signed it off. Phew, what a relief!
    IMG_20200728_113705.jpg

30. 4speed411

4speed411

Welded up a propane tank moose head for the top of a propane tank Totem Pole IMG_20200729_171906.jpg