Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What did ya do back in your day,local car hop hangout?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Clik

Clik

In this case it was Fred's Inn at 12th and Monroe.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. ..........Been there.:D......and The Family Tavern.....and the RIA.:)

dana barlow and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  3. In the early 60's we hung out at In N Out on Arrow Hwy., in Covina, CA.. Cruised between In N Out and J & M Chicken Patio also on Arrow Hwy., nearly every night. Occasionally we would head over to West Covina to the Bob's Big Boy.
    3218367666_0fa548256e_z.jpg

By the late 60's, I had moved to Phoenix. We cruised Central and hung out at Bob's Big Boy. This was before they outlawed cruising on Central!
    578561_501482759907930_1136016927_n.jpg

Sky Six and dana barlow like this.
  4. Clik

Clik

I've been told that GM didn't have a cowl # designation for fuelies and didn't keep track of what model the $500 option went into (but I'm no expert). At $500 I'm sure they didn't care. That's like $4,500 in 2019 dollars. The option was more than a quarter of the cost of the car.

5. I usually just drove the back roads in the county looking for old cars older than my 56 Ford. I wasn't in the clique with the cool guys so I mostly kept to myself.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

59-61 Stan's drive-in in Fresno. Made dedications on the radio. Also Mars in Fresno. Lots of cars at both on weekend nights. Also cruising Belmont or Fulton looking for races and girls.

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Don's DrIve-In, Livingston, NJ. Late 1950s. Always crowded. I was usually there in my channeled 34 coupe. One evening a kid came over to my car. His parents and my parents were friends so I kinda knew him. He said his cousin was visiting and asked me to take cousin for a ride in the coupe. I agreed before finding out cousin was a 14 year-old girl. John Milner all over again except this was before Milner. Don't remember how long I had her in my car.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

In B'ham Al, it was a place called the Sky Castle in the 50s.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Back in the early 60s, our local Miami promoter had the bright idea too do a car show up in Sebring Florida at the same time as the Sebring 12hr Race. After all the town is full of 10000+ car fans right!
    I always had been going to see the races anyway,so why not drive my full custom Henry J up from Miami this time.
    Now back then,frankly the road US 27 was really bumpy an bearly two lane an not EZ drive in a low custom car.
    Turns out Rudy{the promoter} had rented a wearhouse right on the circle mid town to have a car show {set up on thur PM, then fri,sat,sun.} live band etc. Adds on radio an poster every were.
    OK count showed up( 16 nice cars} close to as many as would fit.
    But all the car fans are at the races,about 7 miles outside of town,and near no one come to show !
    Rudy got no $ to pay for the rent,an dose not want our cars impounded by the local law on sunday.
    So, Rudy tells every one to get ready****,We got to make a "Secret " very late night run sat.night ,out of town an clear of county line,before the law catchs up. Well,if we get out of line,,meet up at Palmdale truck stop in next county.
    So yes ,we all pick up signs an ropes etc., and ready to roll out the back door when Rudy gives the go!!!
    3 showcars normally go in trailers,but they do run,Rudy said not to load up out side,or move those trailers tell we all go by{plan was if any one broke down on run out,the trailers were to pick them up. Don't even start the motors{some make a lot of loud noise , tell he waves go !
    About 3;30 am Rudy waves GO GO.
    Wow,it was a bit of a high speed run,had too be crazy to see ,if any one saw that hot rod an custom parade flash by!!!!!!!
    We all made it to truck stop,with only one over heated custom Olds,but no harm done. CarCraft J 1963.jpg

Cooon, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

Sam's Drive In with the big neon missle sign. There was a canopy with parking on either side and the other side of the drive. Had several curb hops (black/colored kids...HEY! that's what they were called back in the mid 60's!) When they would cross the drive with the food.......we would try to run over them!
    Not really. It was a game with them. I would wait until he got about midway in the driveway and then do a burnout toward him....while he screamed and ran with the tray! They would dance to the music if we gave them a tip. (Juke box was always playing)
    Never really "got crank'in until after mid-nite on Fri-Sat-Sun". Lotsa fun
    Guess you had to be there
    6sally6

dana barlow and wraymen like this.
  11. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Norwood,Mass. Art Rounds burger joint on a stop light on Rt 1 with a finishline pole @ the speed shop just up the street.middle 70's for me.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. I know exactly where your talking about. Where Monroe goes over the RR tracks. You could get air on the Taylor St. bridge too but the traffic light at the bottom of the hill could be a real downer.
    I believe I also know Al (mid to late 60s Chevy ), Crazy as a loon for sure.

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  13. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is 7:00 in the evening, 1949 at the Olive Way Triple XXX in Seattle.
    The roadsters and coupes start drifting in and parking back on the bank
    where Nick the owner said they could hang out...A few hot street bikes show up also.
    Soon the cars started pairing up for a friendly race at the various little used streets or through the Mt Baker tunnels and out on to the floating bridge....Bikes are welcome also but they almost always win the street races....They don't fare so well against the cars at the drag strip though. The cars get them at the top end.
    After the evening races, it is time for more grease burgers.
    One of the biggest events of the evening is after the restaurant closes and all the customer cars leave it is time for "hot laps".....One car at a time to see who can get around the building the fastest.
    I quit doing that event when some guys started trailering in track roadsters running alcohol....Eventually the Olive Way barrel closed and everyone moved either to the Rainier barrel or the Ballard barrel....it was never the same though.

dana barlow and wraymen like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Friday nights were the after varsity football, basketball game, dances, and the cruising scene. But most high schools in our school district had recreation centers specifically built for the own local high school kids. Ours was called the Hutch. It was a cool place to hang out until closing or when we were all ready to go cruising to the hot, Bixby Knolls area hang outs.

The Hutch was the place that centered on four things, a smoking outside patio, a huge dance floor, a corner with several pool tables, and of course, a food center. Kids ate, danced, played pool and went outside to smoke in the enclosed patio. The supervisors knew the students smoked, so they designated the outside area for that purpose (not advertised).

From the parking lot, it looked like a chimney, puffing smoke upwards, over the tall walls. The Hutch was the birthplace of weekly dance, rock music shows from the high school band (The Pyramids), made famous with their one song, “Penetration.”

upload_2019-7-2_4-8-30.jpeg
    But, after the set(s), it was time to go up to Bixby Knolls. There in the heart of the area of shopping and homes were two specific attractions that had been around for many years of high school get togethers. It was “the” place for the gathering of the hot rod/drag race guys and girls. The high schooler’s older brothers did their scene years before each groups’ 3-5 years of cruising and bantering in the parking lots.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-7-2_4-24-10.png
    The top two local destinations were Grissinger’s Drive-In and around the block was Ken’s Hamburgers. Each had a huge parking lot that was usually full by 10pm every Friday and Saturday night. Fridays were the high school gathering nights with all of the teenage activity taking place after the games and dances. Saturday nights started the ball rolling after the local Lions Dragstrip closed around 10-11pm. Or if you got eliminated in the early rounds and were disappointed. Each night had tons of teenagers out for a good time cruising and gabbing.

On Fridays, there were some drag racing challenges going on in the back row of the parking lot. On Saturday nights, there was an abundance of challenges with the people coming into the parking lot after seeing the action at Lions. Luckily, the standard place to race was just another mile East on Cherry Avenue, adjacent to 2, one mile long cemetery properties.

It was a scene not to be forgotten, of our teenage escapades, in the timeline to the present.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...re-actually-there.54322/page-18#post-12152289

dana barlow likes this.
  15. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

[​IMG]
    Not the best picture, but this Cool place was in Lemay Missouri. Was closed in 1964 when they built a Stake-n-Shake down the street, [​IMG] You got one of these when you ate there!

echo ed, sidewayzz69, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  16. jailbird

jailbird

does the name Emerson Roderick ring a bell he was from Decatur area and one of my dads best friends not only did he build my yellow 57 when I was 16 making it safe and fast he built many 100 pointer corvettes and held a few track record in a 57 station wagon
    might have been about 5 years younger than you
    Surely you new Platzbecker speed shop Bill Platsbecker

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Very unique advertising for sure. I like it! So..........how was the food?

lothiandon1940, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  18. jailbird

jailbird

Oh Yeah' I bet out of towners could have called some of their trips return to Macon county

dana barlow likes this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-8-8_3-19-32.png
    Carl's Drive-In on PCH near Santa Monica.
    Not associated with the current Carl’s Jr. Hamburgers chain.

Hello,

One day, my dad took us on a coastal drive in his big 1949 Buick Roadmaster from Long Beach to Oxnard to visit some family friends. Coastal PCH was the future road that we would be taking plenty of times on our surf trips and vacations in the Northern areas. My mom was born in Santa Monica, but those memories were waning. Part of this trip was to try and find where she lived when she was little. (No luck there.)
    upload_2019-8-8_3-37-22.png 1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 door sedan, photo taken in 1952

As the search was going on, my brother and I were extremely hungry and every little market we saw, both of us yelled out food of some kind. My brother and I were messing around in the back seat and were hungry on this long drive from Long Beach.

After several shouting episodes, my dad pulled over into this tiny parking lot. It was fairly empty. We were happy that our final destination was this little drive-in restaurant . So, my brother and I were still fighting in the back, while my dad was ordering the food and drinks. My mom told us that the food would not be ordered for us unless were were settled down. The waitress left, without asking us what we wanted.

Minutes later, the food arrived at my dad’s window and my mom’s window. We smelled the delicious food, but my dad did not turn around and give us our food. They both started eating their food and did not look into the back seat.

WHAT??

Jnaki

The smell was driving us crazy in the back seat and being a 5 year old kid that got blamed for the error in the food order, I started crying. My brother blamed me for everything. But, he was quiet, so my mom gave him a hamburger and Coke. Now, the flood waters came rushing out.

But, wait, what was the white wrapping paper around a big lump being handed to me by my dad? Why was he smiling? Then everyone laughed at the situation.

(That was some trick that was played on me) My dad had secretly ordered a hamburger, fries and Coke for me in the confusion and it was sitting on his tray out of sight of the two brothers in the back seat. This was the huge rear seat of the big black, 1949 Buick 4 door Roadmaster.

The food was gone in an instant, I was so hungry, mad and sad. (My mom told me many years later of this story. She said that my dad used “two fingers up for the waitress,” to order the extra hamburgers, fries and Cokes for us) My wife always said it was a well-deserved trick played on a couple of rascals. She married one of them…ha!

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Hey, Somebody finally mentioned the Wich Stand. In the Fifty's It was the top hot rod hangout. I ate my first cheeseburger there when very young.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The first time was in our own neighborhood in the Westside of Long Beach. It was a corner drive-in restaurant at the busiest intersection of PCH and Santa Fe Avenue. Our dad had gone there many times and then took our family to see for ourselves. It was fun to watch the ladies come out to your car on roller skates. They were good.

Then as our teenage driving days came, that place disappeared and in its place was a Jack In The Box. But by this time, we had already moved to our high school teen hangout, Grissinger’s Bixby Knolls drive-in restaurant. We instantly found out that the back row parking spots facing the restaurant proper was the ultimate in parking spots. It was the history as told to us from older teens that kept the lore alive. Some of the "greats" that we knew at Lion's Dragstrip got their start at Grissinger's and Ken's. Tom McEwen, Ron LeGrand, Bud Rasner, Bob Brooks and a host of other names usually associated with Reath Automotive and Speed Engineering of Long Beach.

One could order, the girls came out to serve, while every cool hot rod and custom car would drive through the entrance and opening to find their spot, where ever that was. If the back row had some empty spots and one did not feel up to backing up, there was always a short drive around the block and enter the back alley to line up with the diagonal spots facing the main drive-in building.
    upload_2023-10-24_2-45-4.png Atlantic Avenue and San Antonio Drive, Bixby Knolls
    Now, converted to a George’s Diner location.

For us as teenagers, hamburgers were a staple. French fries were the next on the list. Our forays to other drive in restaurants always brought out a comparison to the original Grissinger’s hamburger. So, we decided that Oscar’s, Hody’s, Merle’s, and even Kens Burgers in Bixby Knolls around the corner from Grissinger’s all had quality hamburgers. Ken’s was the least expensive, that meant multiple burgers and fries… yes! Sitting in our cars, the flavor and hunger were mixed and served to always hungry teenagers. There was no “best” hamburgers.

Besides, for the teenagers that knew the score with our dates, Grissinger’s was the place to be seen, but Russell’s Hamburger Restaurant just down the street had “the best” hamburgers that catered to the opposite sex, all of the time. Slam dunk and contest over… ha! Besides, who remembers the hamburgers at Grissinger’s? Everyone remembers the best meal there was the big, thick French Fries with brown gravy on top. That was the meal of the day and night.

Jnaki

Kens Bixby Knolls
    In our teenage high school years, there were two major hangouts, both with great food and plenty of teenage hot rods/custom cars. (Mostly hot rods or modified stock sedans.) The good thing was that when one parking lot of the drive-in restaurant was full and no sight of a back row opening, then just around the next big street corner was another cool drive-in parking lot with tons of cars in all sorts of styles. Grissinger’s on Atlantic and San Antonio was the most popular, as it had a draw of local high school/drag race history from the early days of Bixby Knolls.

The other place around the corner was Ken’s Burgers with a huge parking lot that adjoined a family restaurant owned by the same person. One side were all of the hot rods and cruisers with their bags of hamburgers, fries, Cokes, Levis and T-shirts. On the other side were the dressed up families or couples on a sit down restaurant dinner date. Yes, we did dress up and also had dinner at that place, too.

In the many years of cruising by this particular location from the late 50s throughout the 60s, it was a nightly event place that always had some hot rod teenagers in their cars. The place was Ken’s Burgers. It looked like an early McDonald’s as it was white/red with a couple of arches in the design.
    upload_2023-10-24_2-50-6.png

The only Ken’s Burgers photo in existence from the Historic Society of Long Beach, located in Bixby Knolls. This was the only remaining photo of Ken’s Burgers that was on an extensive search. For all of the years of teenagers and families driving by the hamburger place and the adjoining family restaurant, one would think there would be plenty of photos.

But, the draw was the inexpensive good tasting burgers and fries. A huge lot that never got packed, as the flow would creep into the family restaurant side for extra spaces if needed. The owner loved his family restaurant and almost every hot rod teen ate dinner there at one time or another. But, the dress code was strictly enforced. No Levis, no white T-shirts and no sandals for men/boys. Girls had to wear dresses, no pants allowed. For a fancy family dinner or celebration of sorts, yes, we dressed the part when invited. The owner greeted us with a little distain as he knew we were the kids from across the parking lot and our hot rods/cruisers.

So much for accepting hot rod teens and friends…

Note: A different drive-in and through was another sit down restaurant just down the street, half way to Grissinger’s. It was a modern award winning design restaurant that was made in 80 % big glass plates and the interior was matching the architectural style, so famous today. It was popular as the other spots and it did have two things similar to the other places. Great food and seating areas that everyone who drove by knew by sight, their friends sitting in the nice booths and having a great time. The original Hof’s Hut was the award winning designed restaurant we frequented, too.
    upload_2023-10-24_2-52-15.png
    On the right of the building was the semi-secret driveway that acted as an exit was always fun…

But besides the great food, the building had a secret, or somewhat secret drive way that came by several of the big glass windows with a sight of the nearest Naughahyde upholstered booths. From the hot rods and cruisers, one could wave to our friends eating lunch or dinner inside of the restaurant. It was well known to the teens and not always for the local parents.

The food was great, the view from the cars was just as good and if you were sitting in the two booths, could wave to countless friends wishing they were dining inside on the excellent food served. It was also a late night hangout, too. Bixby Knolls, a great place to hang out as teens. But, we all knew when it was our turn to move on to the next adventures in our futures. so, did countless other teenagers from the early days as well as beyond our times there. As all good things go, it is hard to return to the ever changed hangouts and areas from 60 years ago... YRMV

22. American Graffiti jump-started cruising when it came out. I started in 1972 and the one place all the street racing crowd went to was gone, it was a bowling alley called the Golden Pheasant, it had a great bar inside. It was close to Route 231 which was a 1/2 mile away and newly constructed, I had painted the OG start finish lines on it, borrowed my dad's 100 foot tape measure.

We had an A&W Rootbeer that was dying on the vine. Some of us went up to Burger King in Bethpage on Hempstead Turnpike, that pulled lots of hot cars.

Closer to home there was Deer Park Avenue/Route 231. Cars congregated in parking lots until the cops chased us out. There was drag racing there, but we quickly learned you would be likely be given a ticket, it was rife with cops.

We would hang out at the Bay Shore Drive In movie lot. It was cheap to get in, we went off to the side and nobody bothered us. We were never tossed out and did some serious drinking.

By now I was getting closer to age 21, started racking up tickets and had my license suspended twice. That was when I got lured into the local stock car racing scene, I really never looked back.

dana barlow likes this.
  23. On the southeast side of Kansas City there were numerous burger joints to cruise. We had Griff's Burger Bar two blocks from my house at 64th and Prospect, where Southeast High School kids cruised. Farther west there was Smaks Drive-In a couple of blocks east of The Paseo on 63rd Street, Wimpy Burger at 77th and Troost, Mugs Up Root Beer at 75th and Prospect across from Fairyland Park. If we ventured into "enemy" territory to the west and northwest where Southwest High School students cruised, there was Nu Way and Winstead's on the Country Club Plaza, where much of Kansas City cruised. My friend, Wes, had a '63 two-door Plymouth former KHP cruiser that had a spotlight. We'd roll into these burger joints at night and if we spotted two girls in a car we'd light them up. We'd tell them that they were "persons of interest," which to us, they were.

24. In the small town of Jefferson City ,Tennessee,the hot spot late sixties ,early seventies was the Spot drive in on 92 going to Cherokee lake many nice cars and a few races,I had a 56 TBird ,great times

Attached Files:

Rarefish383S likes this.
  25. Rarefish383S

Rarefish383S

Jefferson City is only about 50 miles from Sneedville. Last time I was there, Sneedville, they only had 1 street light and it didn't work. I don't think there was a piece of road over 100 feet long that was flat. Met some good old folks there. Everyone waved. I was just visiting and had some fun cruising the back roads in my 58 English Ford. My friends cousin worked in some burger joint, I forget the name.
    [​IMG]

hudsonmand likes this.
  26. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

speedys.jpg
    Shrewsbury Street, Worcester, Mass

dana barlow likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

A different outlook on the Bixby Knolls scene...

Hello,

For us as teenagers, hamburgers were a staple. French fries were the next on the list. Our forays to other drive in restaurants always brought out a comparison to the original Grissinger’s hamburger. So, we decided that Oscar’s, Hody’s, Merle’s, and even Kens Burgers in Bixby Knolls around the corner from Grissinger’s all had quality hamburgers. Sitting in our cars, the flavor and hunger were mixed and served to always hungry teenagers. There was no “best” hamburgers.

Besides, for the teenagers that knew the score with our dates, Grissinger’s was the place to be seen, but Russell’s Hamburger Restaurant just down the street had the best hamburgers that catered to the opposite sex, all of the time. Slam dunk and contest over… ha! Besides, who remembers the hamburgers at Grissinger’s? Everyone remembers the best meal there was the big, thick French Fries with brown gravy on top. That was the meal of the day and night, including Cherry Cokes.

In our teenage high school years, there were two major hangouts, both with great food and plenty of teenage hot rods/custom cars. (Mostly hot rods or modified stock sedans.) The good thing was that when one parking lot of the drive-in restaurant was full and no sight of a back row opening, then just around the next big street corner was another cool drive-in parking lot with tons of cars in all sorts of styles. Grissinger’s on Atlantic and San Antonio was the most popular, as it had a draw of local high school/drag race history from the early days of Bixby Knolls.

The other place around the corner was Ken’s Burgers with a huge parking lot that adjoined a family restaurant owned by the same person. One side were all of the hot rods and cruisers with their bags of hamburgers, fries, Cokes, Levis and T-shirts. On the other side were the dressed up families or couples on a sit down restaurant dinner date. Yes, we did dress up and also had dinner at that place, too.
    upload_2023-12-27_3-17-14.png Historical Society Of Long Beach archives…

Jnaki

The family style restaurant was a destination for the times when dressing up was necessary. The food was not something to write home about, but it was the atmosphere of being a family restaurant. On place had car hops, Grissinger’s. The other locations were park and eat places, but served the same teenage banter all night long.

We did travel to other So Cal locations that had car hops and teenage food along with the antics associated with those drive-ins… namely hot rod acceleration contests if necessary. Sometimes it was like a western TV show, where the strangers come to town and the locals are all up in arms. Then a local dark, empty street is like the two cowboys standing ready for action. But, with 1950s-60s hot rods and cruisers in their places. YRMV

Note:
    Cherry Avenue destination

SOUND...

For some, it was the food. But, most were there to see other teenage friends and their hot rods. Because the hot rods were all gathered in the parking lot, if anyone drove by, it was the gathering place of all hot rods. That may have seemed like the major influence. The difference being high performance vs driving your mom or dad’s cars through the entrance and driveway past those hot cars.

So, most cars in Grissinger’s Drive-In parking lot was a shorter distance to the proving grounds. Since Ken’s Burgers was just around the big city block area, a few minutes longer on the same road took the contestants to the quiet empty location in near darkness.

upload_2023-12-27_3-24-33.png
    So, the main emphasis, for us, was the access to the local proving grounds nearby. The Cherry Avenue roadway is a mile long, straight as an arrow, street. (Plenty of lanes going in both directions.) A divider in the middle helped. But the whole area was the closest thing to a dragstrip for everyone. From the majority starting line, it was a good ½ mile long straight road with nothing on either side to disturb, in the late nights.

With no road/street crossings, it was perfect. Plus, one side was a huge empty dirt field. The side where the majority of the races took place was bordered by the giant cemetery building, walls, and grounds. After about an 1/8th mile, the other side became another cemetery to the marked finish line. So, now, there were no folks to disturb or bother.

Note 2:

At the end of the ½ mile area, there was the first cross street and by then it was the quicker escape route to a neighborhood leading back side streets and dark parking areas to cool off for a few minutes. Then, the streets all led back to our drive-in locations. It was a place that some b/w cars would sit and wait, but it was hard to decide which cars were the racers. By this time we all were in a slowdown mode and ready to turn around and go on the other side heading back to the starting line for round two.
    upload_2023-12-27_3-25-25.png
    This is the view that everyone saw during our teenage times in Bixby Knolls. 6 red lights shining brightly.

If and when the B&W cars were on the same road, but farther back in an acceleration mode, these side streets gave plenty of cover to park and hide, while capping up the exhaust outlets quietly in the dark. YRMV

upload_2023-12-27_3-26-11.png stealth mode…

dana barlow likes this.
  28. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

We cruised main street in Duncan Okla, Cotton drive in on east main and then go to west of town to beach street and have drag race. There was always several guys from Fort Sill army base that were from West coast with some good running cars that were always ready to race.