Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What did ya do back in your day,local car hop hangout?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Nov 30, 2016.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i usually stood around, told lies and ogled the carhops.

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Can't top the panty story, that's a classic. Milwaukee Wisconsin, for me 64-70, the biggest deal was cruising the "Ave." Wisconsin Avenue, Saturday night, downtown Milwaukee, IT WAS BIG ! Hundreds of cars, lots of people watching/walking, cops on every corner for crowd control, it was about a 10 city block run each way, turn around at library, go east, cross river, turn around Bank lot, go west, could take 45 minutes to take a lap, big fad w/ the girls, was Mooning, you haven't lived until you cruised, and got Mooned 6X, in a lap, Tons of funny stories/memories. We had north side BIG BOY, Capital Dr. further north, Villard Ave, A&W, south side, BIG BOY, highway 100, most of the street races/challenges lined up, bets made, where the races were going to be that night and usually met back at these places to pay up or collect. I was so lucky to have been involved in this time frame, activities. The Best Of Times/Memories.

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  3. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

Endless circles between steak and shake on el dorado and the other on north main with a pass by perrys at Nelson park. 1958 & 1959. Races of local hot cars out at Oakley black top, right on county line so not patrolled by either sheriffs dept, way out in country. Decatur Illinois.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

1975-76-77 = I grew up in a very small town on a winding road up in the mountains with only one dirt road and a few buildings. Most of my friends & I would drive 20 miles to the nearest town with paved roads (Jacksonville, Oregon) or Medford, if gas money was available. We all would cruise up and down the main street in unison...then pull into the Safeway parking lot, and honk at everyone who drove by, while hanging out the windows flapping arms and making idiotic faces at the girls. Big fun!!!

I had a cassette player playing Mel Tillis, Johnny Cash, and The Beach Boys if I felt extra special at a particular time (the flat one with push button and pop-up tape insert...batteries were cherished!) bolted under my dash with a strap. We'd all drive around honking at each other, and blinking our headlights to each other numerous times, and then go to the local A&W drive-in with our usual $2 allowance, before the drive back up into the mountains.

Seems kind of corny now, but we all thought it was sooooo much fun at the time, and we scored talking points at school about each other and ''who we saw'' ....every Friday and Saturday if the chores & homework got done in good order. Cheap thrills to be sure; but, we really didn't have anything else...so we made the most of it. Curfew was "EXACTLY" 11pm (parents would come a-looking if not back in time with ramifications), so we all followed each others tail-lights back into the mountains till the next weekend, smiling and well satisfied with the world in a nutshell.

5. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

In south Kansas City back in the late 50's early 60's we cruised between two hamburger joint drive-ins; Allen's on 63rd Street and Nuway's on Troost Ave. Always a few short drag races at the traffic lights. Allen's usually had a cop on the weekends to keep us from getting too rowdy and we usually tried to think up a stunt or trick to keep him on his toes.
    A couple motor cycle cops also ran speed traps on 63rd a couple of blocks east of Allen's so we had to take it easy going that direction. If you got to know them they would "time" you between their marks on the street to see how accurate your speedo was reading. No radar back then. We lived in a great time for American teenagers who loved cars.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Christmass story from 1961 n 40ford sedan

Photo of a old cool car w/Christmas Tree on top put me thinking back to 1961,Dave Collyer an I with our shaired 40ford $70 beater sedan with a old metal beer sign as a trunk lid,went by an picked up Tommy Prinkins too run around some that sat. nite before Christmass,after some time in an out of a few carhop driveinns.and some beer we got. Tommy kind of drunk,an Dave an I aren't super sober ether,Tommy started kind of crying an said,hay guys ! I was supposed to get a Christmas tree with my $ we used up on beer. So its late by then,maybe 2 am and we drive by a closed supermarket on Coral Way, with trees hanging on wires off the front awning lip. We stopped and try to pull one down only to just pull most of the bows/lims off the thing. Man they were wired real well up there,strip lims off two more before one comes down in good shape. Tommy is a big boy an something was going to come down.
    We tie tree on top of the old 40 jalopy an headed to Tommy's house ,but he strats boowhooing again on the way home! What now Tommy?,well he saz "Now every time I'll look at the christmas tree at home, I'm going to think how it's stolen".
    Buddy's are so understanding LOL
    So we dumped the tree an Tommy in his front yard an zoomed away,well kind of zoomed,the little old tired flathead v8 60 was not too zoomy an the smoke was not really all the tires! LOL a little trip in my wayback 4 y'all.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The Midnite drags in Miami 1962
    by Dana Barlow

Miami/Homestead,1962,we're at the sat nite midnites with about 30+ rods and sleepers[=cars that look fairly stock,but are not] plus maybe 50 others came to see,out on south Chrome Ave,just farm feilds[pole beans this time of year,1960's each side of the road. This nite the cops had set up sneek raid on the midnite drags. Well when the coppers poped there trap, showed from out of a dirt farm road and closed off the north end real fast=were you ended up after a run running north. They knew they had the racers boxed in!
    We were in Tim Liard's "Blue Spook" 55 ford/1961 390 FE from a wreck packed into it;a stock looking sleeper other then the small name I painted on lower front fender for Tim,so about 1/2 way in our run,Tim sees the cop lights flashing way up ahead as they block off the road and he slows a little and makes a right turn into a pole bean field,bean's and sticks going up over the car like mad and he's holding speed above 50 anyway as we're cuting that field and wondering if we're gunna fine a drainage canal or well pipe,but kept cutting that field for what seemed like a mile+ tel we found a dirt farm road and head south,came out after a lot of wondering around kind of near A&W US1,stoped and cleaned sticks and beans off and out of the Spook so we could go on over and into A&W with out looking like were we'ed been.
    Ya some cops came in about 10min. later looking at all the car there as they drove slowly by,fewwee! we cleared there eyeballing ,no beans showen.
    The news paper said next day they got 5 drag racers,but no talk about that there were about 30 racers there,HA

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I hear banjos!:eek:

9. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

haha.....yeah, .....I actually do play the banjo!...not quite so fast as I used to, but I do play a few licks still!!!;):D:D:D.....my wife tells friends to ''run'' when I bring it out these days.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The rat rumor has been around the country. We had the same rumor in SoCal at about the same time.

Hackerbilt and dana barlow like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It ?:eek:

12. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

We had a great cruising scene in my little Wyoming town in the mid 80s, though we called it "Dragging Main" instead of "Cruising." All the kids took part, and kids came from the smaller towns nearby too. They even came from Nebraska, since we were just across the state line, and the drinking age was lower in Wyoming.

We'd drive through downtown, and stop in the parking lot at the bowling alley, which also had the best video arcade in town. The bowling alley parking lot was always the place to learn if there was a kegger party going on at one of the usual remote sites.

The local volunteer fire chief was both a community leader and a committed hot rodder. He wanted to provide a place where the kids could drag race, that was safer than doing it in town. So he and his buddies painted lines to mark out a quarter mile on a remote stretch of rural road about ten miles outside town, with no homes nearby to be bothered by the noise. I don't know if he made arrangements with the Sheriff, but I never once saw any sign of law enforcement there. Anybody who wanted to race knew what you meant when you said: "Meet us at the Quarter!"

I went back to my home town for a class reunion last summer, and drove my Studebaker. AS long as I was in a cool car, I wasn't gonna miss out on taking a few laps of "dragging main." Sadly, the kids don't drag main anymore. Besides a few people leaving the bars, I had Main Street to myself. Oh well. I drove down to where the bowling alley used to be. It's long gone, but as a consolation prize, it's now a bar, and that's where most of my classmates and a few of our old teachers were hanging out that night.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Funny Dallas coming of age.....I was just about 12 or 13 late 60's we had a Griff's burger joint - still some around - that had the circle parking lot to cruise through - hung out with my friends older brothers. It finally closed mainly due to the new Jack in the Box that open down the street - next to the shopping center which had a bigger parking lot - where we would hang until the 80's. Where Griff's was they put in one of those new BIG self sever only stations - where I would pump gas into some of my first rides. It got tore down for a new McDonalds.....go figure !

dana barlow likes this.
  14. HiHelix

HiHelix

we had a token blow up doll we used to stick in a buddies car. Whom ever wasn't dating a girl would wind up with the thing in his car.... some one sneak out in the lot and stick her in there.... it lasted for prolly 2 mothes before she got a hole in here and wouldnt hold air....

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We would cruise Magnolia and E Street then end up at Guy's Grinders, Tuxie's or Taco Tia and sometimes, Naugles in Riverside, CA.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Mid 70's Miami I had a 68 Camaro and Jim had a 67. We'd hang out at Momma Pizza in Cutler Ridge U.S.1 and do pitchers and pizza and play pinball then go cruising. That was about the time of Aloha Bobby and Rose. Had another friend Jeff with a black 71 Mustang. We cruised up to Pizza Palace on Bird Road. I was ahead of my friend cruising through the parking lot and I stopped and said the classic " We came up to see some cool cars but I see you all drove your momma's cars" then I took off. Later on Jeff said they pelted his car with pennies as he drove away.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Hot summer night in 1966-northern Oregon and Danny and I are driving from his house downtown to cruise and try to find some action. We're in Danny's 55 chevy hardtop with a BIG AFB and a 301/3 speed with Hurst shifter...gas gauge is bouncing off 1/8th and we're stone broke. About 1/2 mile outside of town we see a tortoise about 10-12 inches across crossing the road and I instantly have an idea to get some cash and chicks. We hustled the turtle back to Dannys house and drill a small hole in the edge of the tortoise shell and grab some of Danny's dad's fishing line. Bust ass down to the "Hand Out" where everybody is hanging out and offer the girls some time walking the turtle in the lot for $$$$. We made enough to buy some gas and some beers and had a couple young ladies riding around with us in the 55! We sold the turtle for another $5 ...

18. loudbang

loudbang

Bristol Plaza Bristol CT was our spot. Came from a small town with no cool place so we would head over there make endless loops looking for races and or GIRLS. Had a donut shop and one of the first MacDonalds in the state. Fill up on 15 cent burgers and 11 cent fries. Get a race lined up and head over to the being built but not finished route 84 for some DRAG RACING. No "test hits" run what you brung no sweeping the street or sticky goop just line them up do the race and head out before the cops showed up. Won a bunch of money with a 1967 Mustang fastback with a 390 the chevy people would laugh until I just beat them and always give me another race because they couldn't believe they got beat by a 390 boat anchor can you say DOUBLE OR NOTHING KID??? Back to the plaza looking for girls.

dana barlow likes this.
  19. brady1929

brady1929

Wow I feel young at 53. You guys are old and smell like ben gay! Just kidding, don't get offended.
    Great stories by the way.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that ranks up there with the craziest shit I have ever heard . . . how in the name of Pete did you come up with that idea? Who knew that chicks would pay money to walk a turtle? Genius.
    Great stories gents.

wraymen, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  21. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I certainly can't beat the turtle story. West side of Detroit we used to hang out in a closed down gas station on Telegraph rd. I thought the place was perfect. It was near a traffic light so we could watch guys burning up rear tires. You could see the cops coming from a good distance so you always had time to hide the adult beverages. Then one nite the cops pulled in and told us to leave & not come back. Well right across 6 lanes and the median of Telegraph was a strip mall. We just drove to the other side road and hung out there. Cops never brothered us there. One good thing was it was closer the the adult beverage store but you didn't get to harass the guy that had to run across 6 lanes of traffic when you had to make a beer run.

22. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

In Northern NJ suburbs nobody traveled far in the 1950s and early 1960s. . Our hangout was Don's Drive-In in Livingston. Always a cop on duty - you had to stay in your car. I remember guys being thrown out for getting out of their cars to look over my channeled '34 coupe. Drag races were arranged for a nearby incomplete Interstate highway segment. We'd see the two racers leave plus a dozen or so spectators. When they all returned we'd get the report. None in my crowd street raced. Every once in a while we'd go to the Adventure Car Hop in the Union area. Serious racing out of there on route 22. Cars would block this major artery for the racers. Police intervention became serious after guys started towing in cars and putting slicks on in the parking lot. And we'd sometimes go our to the Sip-and-Sup on route 10 in Parsippany. Serious new cars there. I remember 409 sedans. Must have been an upscale neighborhood. None of us could afford new cars. I don't remember actual cruising anywhere in our area. It was just hanging out. But there was lots of cruising in Jersey shore towns during the summer months. We did it only once or twice. Too far.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  23. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

haha....geez, I stepped right into that one....I meant ''banjo''....thanks for the laugh!

24. We hung out at the Tropical Treat in Stowe , Pa. outside of Pottstown. Hot Rods would come from a wide area to find a race with the hot cars of the day . There were times when both sides of the highway were loaded with hot rods and 55 to 57 Chev's looking for a run . One night we got raided by local police ,they even brought a bus to load us in. They didn't get me I crawled under my lowered 53 Ford ragtop and waited it out , a cop came to my car and asked if they picked me up . I was looking at his shoes , he walked away as I drew a sigh of relief . I was more worried what my dad would do if he found out ! I often wondered how I got under the car that night !

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1949 restaurant prices 001.jpg

Attached Files:

loudbang, Raiman1959 and dana barlow like this.
  27. 150J/F

150J/F

Main hang-out in late 50's Oak Cliff part of Dallas for me was Sivils drive-in.
    Pretty car hops & lots of cruising.

wbrw32 and dana barlow like this.
  28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Forgot to mention it in my previous post, we used to hang out at the Camay Diner, Carvel and a Taste Freeze in Williston Park, L.I. Cruised Hillside avenue to the Queens County line looking for street races and hide. We used Glen Cove Road and the L.I. Expressway service road for street racing. The service road had a starting and finish line painted on it. Our car club was the Nomads out of New Hyde Park.

Gary

nicky64chevy and dana barlow like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

"Cruised Hillside avenue to the Queens County line looking for street races and hide."
    Gary[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing "hide" being a nick name for girls from Hyde Park?,
    Here we'd say,when cruising down to A&W in Homestead from Miami ,we were looking for "Bear"{ Our nickname for farm girls from Homestead that didn't shave there lags. LOL. Whan running over to Naples Fl. from Miami,we called hunting the girls there "Turtle Turning",Naples had a great beach on the Gulf were lot of chicks were,an being there were also some baby Turtles,seem it fit the babe's.

loudbang likes this.