Register now to get rid of these ads!

What did I stumble upon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboShadow, Jan 25, 2010.

1. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

[​IMG]

I saw this sitting down the road from where I work the other day. I had some time to kill after work today so I drove out to take a look. I didnt see any badges on it, front or back. I looked around on google, but didnt find anything that looked similar. The car looks to be in good shape, didnt see any rust and the tires still had air in them. Almost looked like you could drive it home!

Thanks
    Dustin

2. chopdtop

chopdtop

3. Late 40s Packard.

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I think its around a 46/47 packard clipper

5. Fenders

Fenders

Two dogs.
    Oh yeah, and an old car. Cool car, any price?

6. 41-47 Packard, I'd have to get out my book to get more specific. Not particularly rare and limited desirability. They look nice turned 2-door convertible, though, like the cars Darrin customized around 41-42.

7. AKA a ParkHard

8. Didn't you ask the dogs?????

9. rebelrat

rebelrat

^^^^^^^^ now that's funny

10. The 2-door and convertible Clippers are very attractive cars, with that fastback roofline and the beautiful grille! The four door cars aren't quite as graceful-looking, but still make for a decent build. That Packard straight-8 is a nice-running and smooth engine. The Packard manual trannys are good, but the automatics are very difficult to get parts for. The national Packard Club is a great source of info, but they are die-hard resto guys, and do not like modified cars, nor their owners. So, if you ever buy a Packard, join their club, because they are an invaluable source of information and parts support. Just don't tell them what you are doing with it, if you get it!

11. moses

moses

should of thrown them a steak or two ....jeffrey

12. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Don't step in the dog shit

13. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

The dogs were very talkative :). No price on the car, but it had a phone number. By the look of the fadded out for sale sign they must want alot for it. But, maybe not. Its a more door, and not a very attractive car. What is somthing like this worth? Im broke as normal but Id like to maybe pick it up, get it running and not touching anything else. Just driving it!

14. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for pointing that out....so I don't have to :)

15. I though us Mississippians were the only ones who used old cars for dog houses,

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That grille would look killer on a custom 36

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

$125 if the motor won't start right up, $300 if it will. Add $200 for a clear title.

18. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

only the SHADOW knows...It's definatly a PACKARD. yea and i'am an excelent driver...RAYMOND.

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Get it. I've had several Packards and a finer automobile will be hard to find. They arent really difficult to find parts for just a bit pricey sometimes. If its an old sign thats in your favor too. And under no circumstances tell the die hard Packard guys its gettin slammed with red rims.

20. This was my wifes '49 daily driver back in 1966. The earlier series had a neater grill. but these days, we gotta try to save them all.
    [​IMG]

21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

It has already been stated that it's not very attractive, but it for sure has potential. Like you said, buy it, get it running and just drive it would be fun. I wonder what it would look like with some "taildragger" influence and or something towrds a mild/wild custom. Anyone got any pics of this bodystyle/era packards that were customized?

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The transmission ( if 3 speed ) should also have overdrive,,The cable set up for the OD alone goes for round 200 and another 2-3 for the transmission,,

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool car. snatch it up.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it's the model it looks like this is wrong

I'd guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A set of skirts and the right color...

I'm not surprised with this answer, but if that was possble I'd take every one you can find.

That looks like either a Super Clipper or a Custom Super Clipper. Actually one of the most revered post-war Packards that offers performance and a driving experience 2nd to none. Either model has the 356 8 with 9 mains and a factory rated 165HP. With OD they'll cruise 70-75MPH all day and never break a sweat. It's also one of the best CCCA-type tour cars you could ever want to use. Values for perfect concours examples have toped $70K but getting there is not for the faint of wallet. The interior is nearly a marvel to behold. I have one BTW. They look best in Packard Blue (very dark) or black.

25. Attached Files:

26. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

They are nice cars...I don't think they're all that ugly, but then again I have one. Mine is a '46 Custom Super Clipper, and yes they are worth 60K-70K as restored cars. The lower models aren't worth quite as much, and definitely not as desireable as the custom...a quick way you can usually tell a custom apart from the normal clippers is that they have chrome trim as opposed to woodgrained trim in places like around the inside of the windshield (although sometimes people like to swap out trim so it isn't an absolute).

They aren't bad cars to work on and quite honestly parts aren't that expensive (depending on just what you need). Max Merrit has been a great source of parts for me to get mine running, if you get the car you should definitely check them out...

http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/

27. bet those dogs are gonna get real mean when somebody sells their house!:rolleyes::D