Register now to get rid of these ads!

What crosses a person's mind when they see our cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 12, 2008.

1. I sold a 55 Pontiac yesterday, and the guy said he drove one like it from Michigan to California in 1962. Whadda ya suppose folks are thinkin when they look at your car?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

mostly "wtf?"

LOU WELLS, buster6972 and Paul like this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I think when most people see me in my car they realize God has a sense of humor!!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

WTF! I hope so.

I love when children crane their necks or smoosh their face to the glass of the car they are in just to see. They see one of their toys come to life!

I like that hotrods STILL frighten adults though.

Oh yeah, Old folks always dig em! Well, most of the time anyway.

5. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

how fast is it...

-E

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. "I was cuffed in the back seat of a car like that more than once"

LOU WELLS and FRANK GRELLE like this.
  7. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

What time machine me and the Willys pickup fell out of.

Sometimes I get the "please don't kill me" look from people that start looking at the crap I have in the bed... a rusty pitchfork in the front stake pocket, a huge rusty cheater bar in the stake pocked directly behind my seat... old rusty chain wrapped around the bumper... and plenty of mud and cow crap splattered up the side from working the ranch with my dad.

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That they had a '78 Volvo in college just like my chopped Merc. Usually...

Chebby belair likes this.
  9. Had an old lady in Winter Park, Fl ask if she could sit in my 50 Willys Jeepster. I said sure. Well she sat there for about 5 minutes with a funny smile on her face. Got out, thanked me and told me she lost her virginity in a car just like this.

If only the old cars could talk!

Bill

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those that "get it" will gravitate towards it, the rest will cower in fear and look for an exit.:D Those that ask questions will be educated and be a better person for it.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I hope you carry cleaning supplies in your Willys...

verno30 likes this.
  12. jetmek

jetmek

"i wish that old POS would get outa my way so i can go 80 in a residential with my new bmw"

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. BBobb

BBobb

Very well written!!!!!!

14. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

most are probably wondering what a white boy is doing driving a flaked and paneled lowrider...it's cool though..i'm brown on the INSIDE!!

LOU WELLS and indyjps like this.
  15. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

HMMM....Some of you may remember the TV show, THEN CAME BRONSON...A show about a guy on his motor cycle, that had his bed roll on it, and he was off. One guy, a straight lace type, pulls up beside him and asks "Are you going on a trip?", and Bronson replies yep. The straight lace guys gives him the look, I wish I was going too.

I think that is sort of the same thing that others see of us, they wish that they could be in our shoes. Sort of living our lives, with our dream cars. It probably appears that we are a happy go lucky bunch, with no cares in the world, that all we have to do is mess around with older cars (or Trucks). No cares of the daily stresses and strains of everyday life. (Little do they know, right?)

When I bought my 52 Olds 98 4 door sedan last March, and drove it from New Hampshire back here to the mid-west. Sure I got a lot of lookers, mostly from the older generation, but they could remember what it was when they had one. What it was like to see a car from a happier time. Something that they know is built better than the cars are today.

As far as when I'm out in the HellRaiser, sure the kids twist their necks off, but also the other crowd I think are the ones that are envious of what we have. That we are driving, what they wish they had.

It's like driving a new Mercedes, or a Jag sports car. Anyone can go to the store and buy one of them. But to see a pretty much one of a kind going down the road. Then they know that the person driving is an individualist, not just another Leming.

HellRaiser

16. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hellraiser just nailed it. Thanks, man.

18. Usually one of these two things; " My Uncle had a car like that" or "That's a '63 right?" ( it's a '64)

OR An old timer that sees the motor says it's the wrong colour for a 352 ( It's a 390!)

19. Don't you love it when they ask...."Is that a kit car"?

20. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

First of all I had forgotten all about "Along came Bronson". that was a great show. Always watched that. Second of all I love that line about Lemings. Very cool. I don't want to be a Leming. I wanna be a Hellraiser when I grow up!

21. chris55

chris55

drove the 47 the other day, stopped for gas, and the lady behind the counter ask "is that this years new color for the pt cruiser.":eek:

alanp561 and seb fontana like this.
  22. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Probably something like, look at that asshole, when everyone else is trying to save gas and drive new cars that get 30mpg, this dumbshit runs around with 2 carbs stickin through the hood and thinks he's cool

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hard to say,as we just don't read mine's,but there are more then a few
    owners/builders that think there getting a crowd around there "um ratty Rod?" be cus it is cool,but really there in shock that anyone would even show that crap or try to drive it,and yet too there are also some very nice rods that get passed by,by those that walk around in some other world with a phone in there ear all the time.
    Lots of real werido's out there!:eek:

alanp561 likes this.
  24. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Thanks Paul, but I do have to be respectable some of the time:D

HellRaiser

25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

When?

26. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

When I drive the HellRaiser to Church on Sundays of course;)

HellRaiser

27. PoPo

PoPo

From the kids: " MOM, DAD, LOOK AT THAT, WHAT IS IT!!!!!?

From the adults(middle age): They look, smirk, then think back about their dad having one or uncle, and think well if my wife says I can I will get one someday, but I can't even change my own oil so what will i do with that?

From the Elders: AHHH THE GOOD OLE DAYS, I remember when that car came out and it was only offered in four colors. Guy down the street had one and he offered me a ride to the market once. Best ride ever. Then they realize the driver is in his 20's and think WOW hot rodding is BACK!!! or he borrowed his dads car/truck.

To the normal public who doesnt understand, just stay in line sheep. if you get out of line the wolves will get you.

28. you know you got a cool car when you get thumbs up from kids,bikers and old ladies.

JimMartley likes this.
  29. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I am asked why it doesnot have a hood? I tell them it was made just befor ww2 and thay were saving steel to make bombs so it came with out a hood. And thay didnot but power windows in to save copper from the motors to make gun shells.

30. Crease

Crease

Nice dune buggy!!!!