Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What could I done wrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 13, 2016.

1. A digital meter will pick up all sorts of spurious interference from the plugs leads, points, anything which is changing or turning on and off. About the only thing you can do is extend the leads by a metre or so, so that the meter is a few feet away from the motor.
    An old style moving coil meter is the only reliable meter when the engine is running.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So this is probably nothing to worry about.

3. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Solar flares ??

4. HiHelix

HiHelix

"An old style moving coil meter is the only reliable meter when the engine is running".............. also known as a "shunt".... type meter...... uses windings and then resistors for multipliers....

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Even spiral wound wires and resistor plugs, a generator w/mechanical regulator will wipe out AM band frequencies. My old truck sounds like a blender over the radio.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Brought my meter home from work and it was reading 15 volts and not that crazy 125 volts like my other meter so I think I have nothing to worry about,when you have a meter reading over 120 volts on a 12 volt battery it can make you worry a little. From now on I am going to use the meter on the load tester when the motor is running since my digital meter got my blood pressure up a bunch.