Register now to get rid of these ads!

What color paint to use to match Dow 7 coating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agasaustin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

I have a pair of alum. wheels that I want to paint to look like they have been Dow 7 coated like magnesium wheels. Anyone know what color paint and brand I should use. Thanks John

2. CamaroKid

CamaroKid
    BANNED
    from Texas

Got any pics of what you are trying to match to make it easier ?

3. Dow Corning #7 Molykote? It's white.

4. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

Heres The look I am trying for.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.

5. hotrod51

hotrod51

Look at the new colors from Planet Color by Sherwin-Williams. I have one of their books and had some samples mixed. There is a page that is Alloy type colors. I think that is very close. I had the same idea.

cyclopsblown34 likes this.
  6. I've never seen Dow 7 as gold as that, that looks more like paint. It could be I guess though. Different alloys of magnesium come out to different shades, but they're all mostly gray-green that I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

7. Not usually that gold,more like this.

Attached Files:

8. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

Heres another example.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  9. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I think the wheels you posted are painted also.

Here is a mag scoop that has the DOW wearing off:

[​IMG]

10. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

11. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

dow 7 is a greenish gray there are other dow numbers for different colors like gold and dark green (army/navy ) use the dark green

12. I Drag

I Drag

There is a Krylon "Bronze" color in spray cans that is close to the color of the blower case 29bowtie posted.

It's a very rich bronze color, and lacks the slight gold tint, but it might be a start for you. Check your Home Depot.

13. LZ

LZ

Hi John
    We use to do mag fabs years ago.

Someone else asked this question on another board awhile ago and here is some informational sites that I sent him.

http://www.caswellplating.com/index.html
    These guys are near me and they sell all kinds of finishing items

The original .......Good reading Material.
    http://www.dow.com/oxysolvents/app/co_metal.htm

If you paint them then make sure you metal prep correctly >>
    http://www.henkel.com/cps/rde/xchg/...000380&BU=ut&countryCode=com&brand=000000037X

good luck:)
    LZ

14. Those ETIII's are definitely painted - they are aluminum not mag.

Steve

15. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

There's a "clear chrome" finish that comes in colors -- Does Eastwood handle it?

Seems to me a clear coating might do what you're looking for.

16. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

I want to paint the wheels I have to look like the two examples but not sure of the color. Any ideas?

17. I Drag

I Drag

Why do I bother?

18. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Say Foo!
    I wanted the look as well.
    With the Radir wheel.
    Becuase they forge them you can anodize them.
    Cost me $90.00 for the pair
    Cody
    Hurst

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. DR

DR

Like any other finish I believe you will find that the exact color will depend on the age of the finish and what material it is applied to. Have a look at the dow 7 aluminum wheels at realrodderswheels.com. I'd take one of these (or your choice of a sample) to a paint store for their computer to convert it to a color match.

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

21. moore_rb

moore_rb
    from Arizona

I found this thread while I was researching how to give a Dow7 look to my set of aluminum replica Halibrands, and thought I would share my final results.

At first, I was planning to blast, etch, and dip my wheels in Alodine, but decided to try rattle-canning them first, to make sure I liked the gold look, before I decided on something more permanent.

The beauty of spray paint is that if it turns out like crap, the sand blaster works like a magic eraser to return everything back to the way it was. But, as it turns out, I was very pleased with the final results.

I used two off the shelf rattle cans- Krylon Dual Superbond Gold (8845) and Valspar Metallic brushed nickel (66005)

After scrubbing the wheels with degreaser (the yellow stuff from HF), I sprayed each one down with brake cleaner, and then masked off the polished lips and the valve stems.

The first spray was a full coat (front and rear) of the Gold color. After letting that set for about 15 minutes, I went back and did a dusting coat on all the wheel fronts with the Nickel color, followed by a dusting coat of gold, followed by another 15 minute sit.

I repeated the dusting process (gold, followed by nickel) about 5 more times on each wheel front, until both cans were nearly empty. The final coat was a very light dusting of the nickel color.

On the backside of each wheel, I just left the pure gold color, and in the pic below you can see the difference between the two finishes- The gold color alone did not give that signature greyish coloration of aged Dow7 on magnesium. but I think that combining the two colors gave the wheels a really close approximation of magnesium wheels...

Once they get some brake dust and road grime built up on them, I think they will start to look even more old-school...

Attached Files:

22. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I like the finish you were able to achieve. Do you think the process will work on a wheel that has been polished? What about adding a final coat of satin clear?
    Thanks!
    Jim

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like both finishes. 10 to 1 after a year or two the bright color will look like the "over-sprayed" version anyway, eh? Gary
    PS Sorry to say I'm also partial to the OT BBS 3-piece rims popular on hi-tech sports racing cars in the 1970s. Those rims had a bright gold honey comb cast center and bolt-on, polished inner and outer rims (and they were a PAIN to assemble at the races when you got new tires!). Lots of oval track stuff got quick-n dirty spray bomb gold over their grungy looking mags, too, for the most imperfect of vintage looks.