Register now to get rid of these ads!

What causes cowl shake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 11, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Yes I did a search, but here's the deal. "27 Speedway kit I put together 2.5 years ago & now have 900 miles on it & why now is it shaking ? When I built it I put 60 feet of 1" square tubing around the doors, cowl & all the way to the back. Front end has 7* of caster & 1/16" of toe. This shake mostly happens at around 60 mph. Everything under the car still seems tight. Any remedies would be appreciated.

2. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Funny how a lot wheel problems seem to happen from 55-65. Are you all balanced when it comes to tires? Could be a simple fix:)

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yup, had a similar problem and it turned out that a front wheel was slightly bent. You might try swapping wheels and see what happens.
    Tom

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

most dont call it "Cowl shake"..so if you have been looking it up or searching it on this site using that wording..thats why you havent found it

search death wobble or front end shake

advice....check to see if you have any play in any of your front end components..tie rods , perches, steering box., king pins..etc..

than check wheel runout..and balance of the tires..also roundness of the tires if they are bias

5. Ole don

Ole don

You said you put in steel tube, is it glassed to the body pannels? I built three cars with glass bodies, I glassed wood in. I used 3/4 inch plywood to reinforce the firewall, then 3/4 poplar around the doors and the back, and 5/8 or 3/4 marine grade plywood for a floor. Double glassed in all the way around. The bodies get heavy, but solid. Wood and fiberglass have nearly the same coeficient of heat expansion, steel grows more.

6. monc440

monc440

A steering dampner will help. We have had a couple A's that we couldn't find the problem, tires & rims good, king pins good, tie rods good, gear box good, just couln't find it. put in a dampner and 10,000 miles later still no shake and no failures.

7. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

What type tires are you using? My severe 55 MPH cowl shake was directly related to out of round bias-ply tires. I tried a dampener, balancing, various tire pressures. I trued my tires and fixed the problem. That's me, camera in one hand, at 70 MPH.

Attached Files:

8. I know that it is only 900 miles but in 900 miles even short jaunts a lot of things can happen. I think if it were mine I would start crawling around and tightening and looking for things that may be cracked.

That is the first thing I would do anyway.