Register now to get rid of these ads!

What carb for a Ford 390?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAD ROD, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I have a 1961 Ford 390 going in my 1959 Ranchero. It is the 330 hp version with stock intake and exhaust manifolds. I need a carburetor for it. I was thinking that a 600 cfm would be a good size. But, I could use some help on choosing the right size and information on the best carburetor to use. I used an Edelbrock on a different project and it seemed to work well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mike

Black_Sheep likes this.
  2. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I have a 650 manual choke Edelbrock on my Unibody with a stock 390 cast log manifolds. It is a good combo, bolt it on set the mixture and forget it.

Dawg

3. steevil

steevil

600-800 would be about right.

I ran a square (equal) bore Edelbrock 600 on my 460 after pitching the Holly 750 and it ran awesome right out of the box.

The damned Holley would run like a toilet anytime the temperature dropped a few degrees and was hard starting

I went smaller in an effort to cut my fuel consumption down. It worked but was defenitely down on power.

4. I put a 700cfm Double-Pumper Holley (w/mechanical secondaries) on my 429 and it fits is just right. Some people have a thing against Holleys but I always prefered them.
    -Dean

Deuces likes this.

5. I am running the 600cfm Edelbrock on my '61 390 in my unibody f100. Although I have not dropped the motor in yet, I've run the same combo on other vehicles I've owned and the fact I went that direction again is a testament to the way I feel about that set up.

6. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I went the crossbreed route: 800cfm Quadrajet with electric choke, 20+mpg in a 4200lb car. Took an adapter and some small fab work to get it all right. Works awesome though, wont ever go back to any other type of 4bbl again.

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Sounds like a have a lot of choices. Thats good! This is one of my toys, so gas mileage is not a concern.

Thanks everyone!

Anyone here running 3 two barrels?

Mike

8. Anyone here running 3 two barrels?

Mike[/QUOTE]

Yup the 289 in my Mustang has three Autolite carbs. Looks really cool and pulls nice when you open 'em all up. I used to think it was bad on gas until I put the 429 in the '59;).
    -Dean

9. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I rebuilt the autolite 4100 for my 62 galaxieit works ok but has manual choke,The reason i love the 4100 is there easy to rebuild and dont leak 24.00 for a rebuild kit from ford or napa.mike

10. dr_amx

dr_amx

I pretty sure the 64 super marauder I had came stock with a 750 Holley. I have a 360 now with a edelbrock intake and a 750 edelbrock on it and it runs great.

11. Another guy I know has a tri power set up on his F100 and I think it's from a '62 Fairlane. He loves it. He's been carrying the manifold and Holley carbs around since hi school. Goes like hell.

12. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Well, the more I think about it and read from the HAMB, it looks like I would want an aluminum intake along with my carb. But instead of that......my dad has a 3 duece setup complete sitting on the shelf in his garage collecting dust. I'm thinking I need to rescue that from him. :D

Mike

13. old beet

old beet

I've been runnin a stock tri-power set up on my 390 for 30 years. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Good mileage if needed and great power........OLDBEET

14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

OLDBEET,

That is good to hear. I will check and see if my dad wants to let go of his setup. It would neat to run multiple carbs.

Mike

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I put a 750 holley on the stock 390 in my 65 country squire but it ran too rich and of course the mileage sucked so I had to take the 72 jets out and replaced them with 69s and the mileage improved and it ran better. I could never get the secondairies to kick in like I wanted so I had to put a screw in the linkage even after playing with the springs some and I read somewhere that if that happens the carb is too large so I would recommend a carb in the 650 range. Jeff

16. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

i have a holley 750 with mech. secondaries on a allum. manifold. never any problems. runs tit's and has some balls.

17. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have a 600 cfm edelbrock on a 361 cubic inch Edsel engine , basically the same as a 352 Ford. It starts and runs great for 10 years . I always use edelbrock carburetors when I run a single 4 barrel , they don’t seem to mind sitting for long periods like some other carburetors do. They may not be the best performance carburetor but they are the most reliable carburetor I have ever used.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow, replying to a 14 year old thread! Glad to know I'm not the only one that does that....

loudbang and clem like this.
  19. Scumdog

Scumdog

Yep, got the one on my Thunderbird rebuilt and went from 13mpg to 18pmg.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Everything old is new again!":D

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  21. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

What’s the difference between reviving a interesting car that no one has taken interest in for a long time or a interesting thread with the same problem? But yeah I am going to have pay more attention to the dates on the last posts!

Deuces likes this.
  22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was serious with my post, even though I tried to express it in a humorous way. Several times on here I have come across a thread that was really helpful that I never would have found except that someone dragged it back to the top.

23. sport fury

sport fury

another way to find what part was stock on a car is to look it up on an auto parts store web site for the car. I also use the interchange feature, if the website has one, to see what other cars use the part. works very well to print out a parts inter change list to take to the wrecking yard or any other place to find parts new or used. NAPA and O'RIELLY have good inter change options.