Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What car do you regret getting rid of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Todd553

Todd553

My 57 Chieftain. 557hp Pontiac motor with B&M Hydro. I kick myself everyday for selling it. Ouch!
    7da428cd-c846-4d5e-be7c-d78137cc59f0.jpg db893e1c-6fe4-4ecb-b5e3-8ae87c71bb7f.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0554.jpg 6cb45164-c3ae-4f1f-b85c-cdff9c07ddee.jpg

41 coupe, Jeff Norwell, bowie and 3 others like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-12_5-15-8.png

Hello,

Our dad bought a new 1963 Buick Riviera. It was his pride and joy after some intense car buying scrutiny from his sons. We were not going to have him buy another big Buick sedan that just took up the road. We had alternative ideas and wishes for his next purchase. 1963 was a confusing year with a lot of choices for our dad. He wanted to have a sporty styled car because I had just put on some fancy Buick Skylark Wire Wheels for the Impala. He did not want an “old man’s” car as he had plenty of them over the years.
    upload_2022-2-12_5-16-25.png Thanks... @themoose
    So, no to the Chrysler Turbine loaner car, no to the teenage boys' selection of the Avanti and his decision was to buy the new, latest design from Buick, a 1963 Buick Riviera. Low, lean, mean, and dark green were the highlights, including A/C and leather seating. It was the epitome of all of his Buick sedan purchases over the years since his first Buick sedan. (4 previous Buick sedans)

Jnaki

So, after the required 4 year ownership that had been our dad's plan since 1946, he decided to sell the 63 Riviera and look for a new car. It had seen road trips all over So Cal and into Los Angeles freeway daily drive traffic.

As before, he always tried to get us to sell his old Riviera as our mom did not want it for her own car. We knew it was a limited market and had no takers. So, we regretted not keeping it for ourselves, but it would not be for our new surfing adventures or a good tow vehicle for our desert racing motorcycle excursions. Finally, our dad traded it in for a huge, low, and wide new 1968 Buick Riviera.

Talk about a low and wide car… 78.9 inches. It was so wide that we could not park it in any normal PCH parking spot along a curb in front of our Laguna Beach Coast Highway, jewelry store to buy our custom made rings in 1968. We had to park it across PCH in a neighborhood without curbs or designated parking slots.

The 1993 Chevy wide body station wagon is a mere 79 inches wide, better known as the “widest station wagon known to mankind..." It was no comparison to our das's low, wide, Buick Riviera that we had to use to get to Laguna Beach for our purchases. But, the A/C was a killer and we kept our cool despite the anxiety.

So, many years later, my brother and I wished we had kept that 1963 Riviera and made it into a classic cruiser. Like this 1963 black Riviera version that we modified for a girl’s older brother. It had 4 American Racing Equipment 5 spoke mag wheels for the ultimate cruiser.
    upload_2022-2-12_5-23-9.png similar
    But, you can’t sleep comfortably inside of the 1963 Riviera on the secret beaches of Baja Mexico or tow a trailer with two 250cc desert racing motorcycles and tools/food out to the So Cal desert race courses. The A/C would have made it cool, but it was just not for our long range goals.

themoose likes this.