Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What car do you REALLY like, except for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Jan 24, 2019.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

30s & 40s cars & trucks, except the strange motors, weak transmissions, poor gearing the the rear axles, and carburetors.
    Probably won't be popular here, but you asked. Gene

B Bay Barn and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

If this is supposed to be a critique on styling, I"ve never cared for the "eyebrow" above the headlights on 55-56 Pontiacs or the "speed line" running below the hood and through the doors on 37-38 Chevs.

3. I really like 49-51 mercs except for roof height
    Same thing for fenderless model As and 32s

4. I had a 68 Mustang once. Liked it well enough but I traded it for a '56 Effy so I must not have liked it that much. LOL

Now you got me thinking of something that is just plumb mean.

If I could find a solid 64.5 Mustang I could piss thousands of people off. If I ever get my shit together and go after it I got a solid 396 short block that was given to me. I could piss the boss off (but he might forgive me once he figured out the joke, Uh I hope) by posting it on the HAMB because while it is not HAMB friendly is fits our year cutoff. I could piss the hard core Mustang guys off and the brand conscious guys off at the same time by putting the 396 in it then I could cruise to a show and park it among the corvette guys and piss them of too.

Now see what you started. :D

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Agree with the terminology that I don't have one. A '55 Chevy , a '62 through '65 Chevy 2 , '37 Chevy Coupe and the early Falcons are starting to grow on me.

6. ..on the 37-8 Chevs, the speedline is one of my favorite parts,..they look fast just sittin still,...I agree on the Pontiac "eyebrows tho...

40FORDPU and belair like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We like(d) the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery for everything it has(d), style, design, utility, and at the time, low cost. My first purchased vehicle was the Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It took us thousands of miles all over So Cal in search of waves as well as a daily driver to High School. At the time, everything about the sedan delivery gave us pleasure to no end. It was reliable, started up every time, and ran quite well. It never gave us the feeling of “will it start at any time", including daily at 6AM for school.

There was one exception: After an all-day surf adventure in South Orange County (Camp Pendleton) and it just would not start. The sedan delivery had a 3 speed LaSalle trans and needed a push down the Christianitos on ramp going South on the freeway. It fired right up and for some unknown reason, never let me down again. So, an added plus was the reliability of that Flathead motor and running gear.
    upload_2019-2-17_4-28-49.png
    10 years later, we purchased another 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. This time the sedan delivery had a reliable 327, A/C, auto, and full inside upholstery. We had to do several things to get it road ready and then it became another thousand+ mile cruising hot rod.

Jnaki

I guess that my early teenage years, in the original Flathead powered sedan delivery, set me up to accept anything that a vehicle could offer to a person. Reliability, security, low cost, and privacy were things high on my list. The only thing I was aware of during my first ownership was that it started every time, except one. So, I was never late to high school or the long early morning trips to the surf spots in So Cal.

But, with the second SBC powered sedan delivery, things started to pop up that began to bother me. Night time driving was very hectic. I normally do not like driving in the right hand slow lane, but at least I knew there were parked cars and no one sneaking up on my blind side. On the freeway, slow lane driving just needed extra caution with merging drivers. Parallel parking was another story. Finally, it became bothersome during the daylight hours, too. But, being 20 somethings, it was overlooked for the coolness of the vehicle and cruise.
    upload_2019-2-17_4-29-26.png
    It definitely stopped my wife from driving and enjoying the sedan delivery after several years of fun cruising. WE REALLY LIKED THE 1940 FORD SEDAN DELIVERY, EXCEPT FOR THE #$@%^&$ LEFT REAR QUARTER BLIND SPOT. She, eventually, refused to drive the sedan delivery because of it. She offered to trade it in for a woody or station wagon at the time. (odd finances prevented such a trade and/or cash)

That stock, dinky, outside, rear view passenger mirror did little to solve the blindness. So, for the last several years before we sold it to buy a family house, I was the only one to use it as a daily driver. BLIND SPOT AND ALL. She did cruise around with me, but never drove the sedan delivery again.

This Mod:
    upload_2019-2-17_4-30-54.png thanks Moose…
    or this:
    upload_2019-2-17_4-31-38.png
    This mod would have solved the blind spot problem, but then it would not have been a sedan delivery with all of the style and privacy. It would have been a miniature “Sedan Suburban,” But, more secure with less upkeep, than a 40 woody.