Register now to get rid of these ads!

What can I say to pursuade my mom to let me get this truck!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I'll keep the Mom busy while you guys GET THAT TRUCK!!! It's the least I can do.
    GET
    THAT
    T R U C K.

2. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Tell her the TA's attract "loose women or jezabelles" :eek:and she'll likely be a g'ma soon if you don't get a nice wholesome truck to tinker with. Plus it'll keep the points off your driving record!:D

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

just bring it home. that's what i did when i was a kid. it worked about 60% of the time..

4. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Get it. Tell her its her Christmas present and you'll get it nice and perty for her. It will keep you out of trouble and in the end she will be thankful for that.

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

I'd grab that truck for real. You could always store it at a self storage outside or inside. I live in an uppity part of town where it would'nt fly outside. I checked on outside storage for a 1 1/2 truck I bought awhile back and it was only 40 bucks a month and had a guarded security gate and cameras.

6. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I told her it could be considered her christmas present to me, so she wouldnt have to get me anything:p

7. elrobo818

elrobo818

the "agree, but still do as you please" usually works... haha

i bought my car when i was still living at home... my mom loved the look but didnt think it was safe... my pops was totally against it. said "why dont you use that money for a down payment on a new car... dumb ass" (of course it was in spanish... "menso" haha)

its all about reasoning with them...

anyway...ive had the car a couple of years now and my parents saw all i did to take care of it... my did would always watch me work on it when shit broke down... and even tried to help... little by little...

i finally talked him into going for a cruise in it (he would never get inside the car) to the pomona swapmeet... i even take him out to the van nuys cruise night every now and then...

he enjoys the shows.. but he still calls em junk cars.

try to get her involved.

iono if this helps.

8. roddinron

roddinron

Be careful if you do that, the way some shows are going these days, mom might not be real thrilled with "the scene".:rolleyes:

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Tell her you'll graduate HS..........

10. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

My dad was into hot rods and fast cars big time! When he was my age he drug home a 1968 gt-500 KR he bought at a salvage yard for 100 bucks hahaha Just wish he still had it:eek:

11. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Whatever you do, don't let her watch the movie "Christine" until you get the truck... :D

12. Best idea yet. I was just on the phone with my roomates's ex wife, their teenage son still lives with her, has been in and out of trouble with the law, drugs, etc. If he was out in the garage, or over here in the garage, maybe his life wouldn't be so messed up.

13. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Tell your mom that a bunch of old men on the internet think she should let you have it. Ha, I'm kidding.

Tell her it's cars or your gonna start a punk rock band and go on tour... "See you in six month ma" ...she'll let you get the truck.

14. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Tell her there's a gang of tuffs that are pressuring you to take the truck, and that you fear they will hurt you if you don't.

15. adam401

adam401

Great, your mom is gonna see this thread and then we'll all be in trouble. Thats all I need.

16. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Hey mom look what I got!

17. Tell her you are a realy good kid and you deserve it. A little lie once in awhile never hurts.

So are you planning on moving away when you turn 18? Try asking your dad's friend if he'll sit on it for the next few months. Or if you mom and dad are still on speaking terms have you dad talk to her or see if you can keep it at his house.

18. Let me ask you this,
    Is finishing projects the hardest part?
    and how many projects do you have on going,,,,, AT YOUR PARENTS HOUSE????
    If you were my kid, and didn't finsh this stuff I would say "no more, get your own place and ....."

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358479

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387970

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360802

So if you have the following, A cushman, a 56 gmc and an ot truck tore apart, at your folks house, what do you think your mom wants to hear??

Don't matter what you say, its what you do that counts.

19. Hell, I just picked up my first motorcycle in over 30 years, and when I told my Dad about my latest acquisition, he just said "You're gonna get killed on that damn thing!" Parents never stop being parents.

Oh, and 31Vicky brings up some solid points there! What is going on with your other THREE projects??? Could THAT be the source of your Mom's consternation?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Whatever you do DON'T LIE TO HER ABOUT ANY OF IT!!! If you do you won't live long enough to see the end of it. Trust is most important thing you can have with a parent and that goes double with a single parent. Take this slow and easy, (cross all of the T's and dot the I's) and remember this isn't the last project on earth (it might seem so now but it isn't............trust me.

Frank

21. racer756

racer756

" Easier to ask for forgiveness than for permssion. "

This is all practice, learn how to do this now, before you get a wife.:)

22. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I was going to get the gmc but the deal fell through, the cushman is just an axel and a engine that is tucked nicely in the backyard on a dolly and the ot truck is a project truck my dad has in our garage that im to burnt out to even bother with at this point, its a 78 toyota (you see why i am burnt out :rolleyes:) . I understand exactly where your coming from, I wouldnt want to have 3 or 4 huge projects sitting in my front yard either or just at my house for that matter. This truck would be the only one that would even be in our front yard and would be fairly easy to get running and up. Im not going to do a full tear down at all if I get it, not until I get my own place. Since that toyota is taking up the garage, when I get this baby on the road ill get back to the yota and finish her up so I can get her out of there.

23. Get the truck!
    Tell mom it is part of your EDUCATION. Because it surely is! Just as important as the three R's of "readin, ritin and rithmatic". You learn to use tools, solve problems and become self confident - things that will follow you through life. I have watched my son, now 23, over the years become a gearhead with my encouragement. I have a photo of him at 11 years old bending over the fender of our '36 Ford changing the plugs. I see first hand what a benefit it has been to him. Even though you may not do automotive things in your "real" job when ya grow up, these things are still priceless.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  24. rgaller

rgaller

Sounds to me like you should finish what you started first.

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

Situations like this are so simple to resolve its almost embarrassing. Buy the truck. Bring it home, quietly. Get your mom alone and tell her you're gay. Give it a few seconds to sink in and then tell her loudly you're not. You were only joking! Tell her you bought the truck. She will be so happy you aren't gay she won't give a damn about the truck! And youre home and dry.

26. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

firingorder1,
    Once gay always gay. This is mom-logic we're dealing with here.
    Why would his mom suddenly say yes to the truck now he's gay? You can never turn that around.
    Ain't so easy as you think it might be... Women don't always "fire in the right order" ya know... ;)
    Next thing you know she's spreading word her gay-kid came out and has sudddenly bought one of them 'ratrod-trucks' to keep his troubled mind busy! :D :D

27. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Works great for me... Showed up at home with rottweiler puppy.. Look what I got!!! She loves him now..even though he's retarded...

Introduced her to a pretty girl, she loves her...

Brought home a bunch of iron... she hates it...Dad loves it, but then again my dad loves anything old and made of metal.. Only rule is that mom can't see it from the house... Nothing in the yard, or cluttering up the driveway, all tucked away in or around the sheds and down in our field...

28. Gaters

Gaters

FO1,

LOL!!! Oh, This'll work!! That is hilarious! Man, your mom must be on the verge of a mental breakdown if your thinking up stuff like this. You are torture. HA!

Lahrs,
    You're in Cali. All you need is a bill of sale. If the guys is giving it to you, you still need a value for the truck so the DMV can tax your license each year (think low value). The DMV will issue a Pink Slip and new License Plates after you pay all the fees. You'll need proof of insurance to keep your registration active for the street or go non-op only until you get the truck drivable, then you'll need insurance. There are satellite (private) companies that work with the DMV that will help get all this done for you. You pay a little more but it may be worth not having to step into a DMV and wait for hours to get all this done.

If you don't like the modern day license plates on your old truck, you can find a pair of old California plates for your year of vehicle (1936) that are cleared by the DMV (call them) and swap them for the new set. Fill out a YOM (Year of Manufacturer) form available on the DMV website. Takes a few months but it'll all work out.

Do it straight (no pun intended) and don't lie to your mom.

Good luck

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say, "I love you sooooo much Mom!"

30. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Haha, the gay thing was hilarious! You guys are a riot sometimes I swear. On the darker side of things, I tried calling him so I can go look at the truck and it says that his number is no longer in service which makes no f'in sense because I talked to him yesterday and he gave me that number to contact him at! Hopefully he comes back by my house because I have no way of contacting him other wise. Seems like I always get shit thrown my way when it comes to getting a cool car or truck... Damn.