Register now to get rid of these ads!

What can i expect to pay????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gggholson, Apr 23, 2010.

1. gggholson

gggholson

What is a resonable price to rebuild a Buick 364 Nailhead? Needs hot tanked, bored, valve job and rebuild kit.

2. Its a shot in the dark, here it would be north of $2500 - if everything checks out, if you can get away with a "basic" rebuild kit AND you find a machine shop owner who doesn't need you to make ALL his boat payments for the year.

3. Find a good machine shop and ask for a price list. Most guys around here have itemized price lists. Boring goes for $8-$12 per hole, hot tanks about $40. Check out Egge, Kanter, or Northern Auto (Iowa) for prices on rebuild kits. Add it up, and then add a decent amount for labor, and you should have a pretty good idea. Just guessing, but I would imagine that Verbal is pretty close at around $2500.

4. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Just did a 425 Nailhead and a 401 last December. The stated prices are pretty close. MOST nailheads need the rocker shafts and rockers rebuilt=spendy. Also hard seats for the exhaust and decent exhaust valves, springs. I found a couple Isky and Engle NOS cams for cheap. These really helped the final price. :D

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well depending on what parts you need to rebuild it and what the machinist in your area charges I would say , $2200 to $2700 .
    If you need a bore , pistons aren't cheap . That will drive the price up real fast . Rod and main bearing can be costly too , all depends on the engine rarity and which ones to use . The there is the cost of valves and spring if needed . If you get your block Magged for some reason that will cost too !It all adds up very fast . But I will stick with the figures i gave you .

Retro Jim

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just had a single cylinder engine done for 400 bucks, so 8 X 400.