Register now to get rid of these ads!

What can I do with a Free 10 Ton Press?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Well you can send it to me and then you dont have to worry about it

2. go-jacks store nicely over the top support bar.

3. squirrel

squirrel

All kinds of stuff. I've even made some tooling to bend metal strap for a few projects.

Most recently used mine to take apart a transmission, it's great for getting bearings off (and on) shafts. A bearing separator is a handy tool, and I have a big collection of cut off pieces of pipes and shafts to use with the press to support things.

Pretty much any drivetrain work is made possible by having a press.

4. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Think of everything you've ever seen anyone ruin by beating the hell out of it with a hammer, either trying to take it apart or put it together. Most of those jobs could've been done with a press without wrecking anything.

The pump and ram appear to be standard porta-power parts that can be unbolted from the press frame, which would allow you to use them with all standard porta power attachments.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

you can use it to get that no-good brother-in-law to pay you back that fifty bucks he's owed you forever....less messy than water-boarding....

dj

6. chopsdeluxe51

chopsdeluxe51
    from Steel City

...what a ridiculous post. haha. put it on craigslist and sell it to a local shop and then bunch a bag of assorted nuts so everyone is happy.

7. chopsdeluxe51

chopsdeluxe51
    from Steel City

buy a bag* damn phone.

8. Lime kills the bacteria - always have them open the bottle I front of you in TJ or trust the lime to take out the bacteria from rewashed bottles

9. Beau

Beau

Form sheetmetal!

10. Meet new friends, get a free press, they will be knocking down your door.

11. This sums it up good, ball joints come to mind. I also thought about unbolting the porta-power, I'll have to check out the attachments. Thanks guys, I got some good ideas and great laughs - iwanaflattie, it does look like that. But if you "honey roast" anything, I'll eat it up:eek:!

12. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

I would think you could use it to occupy quite a bit of space in your shop.

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I tend to keep my nuts out of presses

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Until we bought one we really never knew how useful a hydraulic press can be. Stuff I used to have to beat out with a hammer now come out with a few pumps on the handle. We have used it to reverse the eyes on leaf springs, and my Kid just used it to form a rectangular end on round exhaust tubing when making his headers.

Very useful tool.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 5d6fairlane

5d6fairlane
    from texas

This is what i did with the press that i got free from work,I gave it to my cousin that lives about a mile away. Why you may ask well for one thing it does not take up real estate in my garage and we all know how valuable that can be. Second I don't have to maintain it and it did require new seals shortly after he got it. Now when I need one I know where its at and I know that its working and he is glad to let me use it after all I gave it to him.

16. lawman

lawman

You can "Add Louvers" and "Pull some lines" on it like I did
    on mine !!!!!! LOL

Attached Files:

17. Man that looks somewhat masculine, if that is really a cashew I will never touch another.

macadamia nuts, I guess it takes quite a bit if pressure to crak a macadamia nut.

back to the question at hand. Axle bearings, bend tubing with the proper dies as well as punch louvers (in 1/4 inch steel).

18. Abomb

Abomb

I wish I didn't now know that cashews looks like a red bell pepper taking a crap....oh, and I also wish I had a press...all the stuff you've read, and with some imagination and homemade attachments, press forming all sorts of useful stuff. GET IT.

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

louver press!, now you can learn to make your own dies

PS you can press your finger too, so be carefull

Godspeed
    MrC.

d-arch leafsprings
    straighten bent things
    bend straight things
    dimple die holes
    bearing pressor on
    bearing pressor off
    use as a vise
    may become a vice
    cookie cutter
    scare small children
    make ovals out of circles
    make flat iron out of angle iron
    press studs in axles
    press studs out of axles
    the combinations are endless, ok almost endless

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  21. 117harv

117harv

In addition to all the above suggestions you could also send various pieces of flat and round stock as well as odd shaped items that you are trying to seperate or bend flying out at break neck speed into your body causing serious injury or death....wow long sentence.

Seriously, be careful using it. A press, like alot of tools that you/we think we dont need, will become indespensable once you get it and you can't imagine not having it.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are one of those things like the Belt/disk sander I bought last year and didn't realize I needed it until I had it. That press will most likely get used a lot more than you ever thought.

23. yardgoat

yardgoat

Congrats on your free "price is right" deal.I made a guard for the front of mine after a ball joint came out and chipped a big spot on the shop floor.If your not used to using them practice with small stuff and #1 rule keep all parts sq.OR maybe press peanuts to make your own peanut butter,or new minted lead coins.......................YG

24. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

Not much of a "pressing" matter...I'm sure you'll find lots of use for it. I'm impressed they let is go for free. Alert the press!!!!!.....ok i'm done

25. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

hmmm. wonder how much pressure it takes to smash a bowling ball. wait, i have a press and a bowling ball. ill be back shortly

26. dmikulec

dmikulec

They're great for smashing the shit out of old Hotwheels cars! :D

27. 73RR

73RR

X2

They are wonderful tools but demand respect!

28. I've used mine for so many things. If I din't have it, I'd have been stuck a few times. Just used it to replace u-joints in a drive line, and before that, pressed in a new sledge handle. Also works great for flattening just about anything that gets bent.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought mine when the local shop wouldn't press my new axle bearings on with 45 minutes left in their day. After getting irritated, I ran out and looked around town and found a 12 ton floor model on sale at the local Tractor Supply for $99.
    I don't use it all that often, but I'd hate to be without it now that I've found out how handy it is.

30. I think I need to call KCPD and ask them to do a "check the welfare" on Lowblazer01. He's definitely off to dangerland.

As for that press, I've got eight 351 Windsor pistons that need their wrist pins pressed out. Wish I had that press.