Register now to get rid of these ads!

what brand of enclosed trailer should i get/stay away from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffsullivan, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

i searched and couldnt find any info on brands, reviews, horror stories...

i am looking to buy a 20' enclosed trailer to haul my products around to shows, and to use as storage in the winter. i am not looking to spend a fortune, around 5k. up here right now i can get some pretty decent ones for that price. i have my eye on a brand new pace for $4600, a used (30 miles on it, supposedly used for storage) 2001 wells cargo for $4500, used interstate....

does anyone recommend a certain brand, or regret owning a certain brand....?

thanks for any help, jeff.

2. all three are good ,but check for bent axles and options that mkes the difference,,,,also many newer ones have a single sheet side rather than overlapping panels.....I like both wells and pace,Id buy a really nice older WC its seems lighter .....what ever switch out to LED lights is easier on the tow rig,and they show up better

3. You can never go wrong with the brands you mentioned,stay away from the no-names...

4. this was a braco had well over 100,000 on it when I sold it

Attached Files:

5. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Look for torsion bar axles & a rating of #7500 per axle

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Most of the name brand trailers are pretty much the same ... as long as you compare the same level of trailer. All of the trailer manufactuers have 2 or more different levels of " NICE " :D

I have owned a couple of PACE trailers ( and currently have a 2007 that I bought new ). I have owned a few of the other brands also. I prefer the PACE ... second behind a Featherlite. The Featherlite is lighter and nicer but then again they are about 30 to 40 per cent higher in price. I have never had one of them ... too much $$$ ... but they are very nice. :)

I bought Pace trailer for my FIREWORKS business. They hold up well and seem to retain their resale value better than some of the others ... IMHO.

:D

I suggest going to Racin Junk and looking at their listings for used trailers. I have sold a few of my old ones there.

Go here

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/13/Towing_Trailers.html

7. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

I have a Wells Cargo and it has a great guarantee 100% for 5 years on mine. Pulls great. I got the Enclosed nose and it follows great. It is the only one I would buy.

8. metalman

metalman

I have a Halmark. Preety happy with it. Got a deal from a dealer that was stressing, got it with the upgrade over the standard model for less then most dealers wanted for the base trailer. The upgrade (Halmark calls it a "Race Trailer") was torsion axles, 16" centers on the studs, one piece outer skin and interior paneling. Even if I had to pay the differance I think the upgrades are worth it. I had a hugh tool box I was moving come loose, messed up the paneling but never broke the skin and the extra studs really helped keep the damage to a minimum. After towing both I'l never own one without torsion axles again.
    I agree with the others, stay away from the no name trailers.

9. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I have a 2001 Haulmark I bought at Hershey. I used it when I moved from Ct to Pa, 17 trips. Its used pretty much for storage now. I think it's a damn good trailer.

10. tom brown

tom brown

as said above- def.get torsion suspention- much safer, smoother ride.less maintainence.

11. You should never own an enclosed trailer. Why? Many of us as kids well remember seeing real race cars on open trailers or ramp trucks back in the day when men were men and women were proud of it. We can still remember the excitement of seeing a real race car in person either going down the hiway or in a parking lot. It probably was the influence that drew us to the sport in the first place. Now people hide them and very few young folks ever get to have that thrill. What a shame!
    I carry mine in the open. Enclosed trailers are for carpenters.
    Don

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Or nurses. ;) I just bought an Interstate and got it home today. It's got a little damage to the gravel shield, but a new 4' one is inside along with a sheet of polished diamond plate to pretty things up, and the spare.

I'd tell you I paid a third what you've found them for, but, I don't want to make you feel bad. :rolleyes::D

I'm going to put a bunk in front, an A/C, a little RV fridge, and we'll have a little home away from home!

Attached Files:

13. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Avoid Cargo Mate trailers, everyone of them I've seen (used, and new) like to sway even when there empty.

14. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

tell us how you really feel!!:D

i agree to an extent, but i will be using this for hauling my parts i make, metal artwork, hot rod frames..... and living in washington where it rains 364 days a year the bare steel/rain combo is a concern;). also it will keep the thieves at bay better than an open trailer when i am hauling said products.

thanks for your imput though, all ideas/opinions are appreciated:eek:

15. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

i'll tell ya what, you deliver that baby out here and i will pay you 2/3 what i am seeing here!!!

thats awesome when someone gets a good deal like that.

16. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

the wells is a torsion bar, and it is 10,000 gvw

17. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I've had Pace, Haulmark, and Wells Cargo, enclosed trailers. Of all of these I prefer the Wells Cargo, for the warrantee, The way it tows. and the Build quality. None of the three brands were bad, W/C is just my preference. ( definately go with torsion axles)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  18. smchop

smchop

I'm in on the Pace vote, all three good brands, just happiest with it, but get the torsion axles on any of them. Might be a few bucks extra but your cargo will thank you for it!

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

Once loaded the sprung axles are just fine. The nicer trailers will have sixteen inch on centers which is a must fir tandems. I have worked on and sold an now own my own trailer repair business. My the sounds of it the 10k Wells cargo is your best deal. BTW replacement cost of a torsion axle is about double of a standard axle as well. There is however nothing wrong with the torsion axles. It is an option on most trailers though. Mirage sucks. Wells cargo is high on my list. Interstate for the money can't be beat. Last note get a weight distribution hitch and a good good brake controller. Jor

20. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Hallmark has been good to us.The Wells we have owned were a bit heavy. We buy from the factory direct. 6 lug wheels .Make sure if you buy a used trailer that it has brakes on both axles. 1 axle brakes are not legal in most states now. We swap out about every 3 years and get 75% of the purchase price back. 20 ft some times not so great for resale. 22-28 are bit more if your going to have a work bench or?

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be afraid to negotiate. Trailers, especially enclosed trailers, aren't as easy to sell as you might think. First, you have to find someone that wants or thinks he needs one. Second, that person must have a really HD tow vehicle to tow said trailer satisfactorily. Third, that person must have a place to keep said trailer. Fourth, they depreciate substantially after you buy them, just like a new car.

Sellers will "want" certain prices but they will be more motivated to move them than you would ever think. Think about the four things I told you and play all the sellers against each other. Then, pick the one that you think is the best deal for you. You can do better on the price.

22. Lucky3

Lucky3

I'm an old race car guy that has had a few premium brand enclosed trailers.....

Pace is hard to beat and has several features that make them hold their value. Torsion axles will treat you and the "stuff" inside very well !!

A 20 ft will normally only have 5,500 lb torsion axles and the ride quality will be 1st class !

23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I couldn't agree more with you Don, however; there are people out there who have to mess around with your car or decide they should have the parts instead of you... I certainly remember circle track and drag cars being towed, some even flat towed, however; times have changed. Hey, I'm not afaid to admit it, I enjoy the shad some times, I have seen the effects of skin cancer as well....

I guess I'm a poor carpenter then with a nice enclosed trailer... Ha Ha

24. jeffsullivan

jeffsullivan

so this may be a silly question, but do you guys prefer the barn doors or a ramp. i was thinking if you had a barn door with removable ramps it would work fine, but may be a hassle messing with the ramps. but that is only because i could use the barn doors as display for my art when open.

any thoughts?

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

Ramp. You can still display you art and people can walk up the ramp easier to get a closer look as well. If you buy a 20 foot most have two 3500 pound axles Wichita give you 7 k gross. That leaves about 4500 pounds of payload. Win your material you may want a 10 k. If you get over a 20 foot definitely get a 10 k or there will be no resaling it. X2 on the post re brakes on both axles. Joe

26. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

There is a company here in Michigan that builds an excellent trilaer with a good warranty. It is called Classic and is built in Sturgis Michigan. i have one to haul our custom motorcycles around and I have to say it is one of the best that I have owned. Also check out Chapparell- I might have the spelling wrong on that one. We used one of these back in the mid 80s to haul our sprint car tem around when we were racing in USAC and the All Stars. Really nice setu with bench,air compressor,generator,A/C,ect but was expensive unless you find a used one. the best bet is to look around for a high end trailer that is used and taken care of. You will be very happy with something like this. I bought the Classic when it was 1 1/2 yrs old for $3500 and the guy had paid $7600 for it at the dealer for it. ;)

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I agree with the torsion axles ... by all means get them. If buying new I also suggest getting the upgrade 5200 axles. That way you have 6 lug wheels ( instead of 5 lug ) and have better brakes also. When I ordered my new Pace in 2007 ... I opted for the V-nose and it gets about 2 miles to the gallon better mileage over my previous Pace flat nose. IF ordering ... I suggest buying the spare tire trap door option also. Not much $$$ and it keeps the spare in the floor ... out of sight and OUT OF THE WAY. I bought the 4 foot entrance door also. Makes loading fireworks a LOT easier ...

A ramp door is best IMHO.
    I hate having to try and load/unload ramps ... when you can just drop the rear door. It also increases the resell value IMHO.

:)

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If you want the best that will last a lifetime and never have any flex get a TPD. When I worked there and designed and engineered the things we would find a way to build anything you could think of.
    Seriously they are stronger and at the same time lighter I believe than anything else out there.

http://www.tpdtrailers.com/about.html

Note
    I no longer work there and left on bad terms (many promises broken) but I gota say the product is the best.

29. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I have had a Wells Cargo for about 5 years and have absolutley no problems with it.

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I had several Pace trailers and then because of availability I bought a 20 foot H&H with 5500 lb axles and have drug it coast to coast working the small shows and it has worked well. Biggest complaint I have with any of the competetive trailers is they all leak dust. For the bigger shows I work I have an all aluminum Hillsboro 36 ft fifthwheel that hauls 3 chassis or 2 chassis and 1 car. All welded construction and doesn'r leak dirt. I am like Deuce Roadster and lust after a 20 ft Featherlite$ Maybe in another life?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016