Register now to get rid of these ads!

What brand lube for my trans and 9" rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled51, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Wanted some opinions on what brand lube is best for my newly built 9" and my richmond 4 speed tranny. This is a purpose built drag car. It has a spool and 5.13 gears. Any opinions on what is best brand and what weights are best? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on something that will make my stuff last.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Heard good things about Royal Purple.

3. Moser recommends good 'ol fashion gear oil for the rear. They will tell you to NOT run synthetic lube.

4. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Royal Purple fer sure.

5. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Do you use the same lube for the trans as you do the rear end? Same weight?

6. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Royal Purple x3.

7. For the rear end taken from Moser's website:

What gear oil do I use?
    Your rear end fluid choice is predicated on what ”carrier” you are using. Moser Engineering manufactured items can be used with any mineral or synthetic based oils, we do recommend a GL-5 or higher rating. These items include; Axles, Bearings, Cases, Mini-Spools, Pinion Supports and Spools. Aftermarket gear manufactures, “Motive Gear” and “Richmond Gear” both promote synthetic oils for their Ring & Pinions. To assist you in selecting the correct oil we have attached direct quotes from some of the leading differential manufactures websites below;

AUBURN

What kind of oil and additive should be used with an Auburn Performance Differential?It is important when installing
    an Auburn High Performance, Pro Series or ECTED® LOCKER that a high quality non-synthetic 80W90 GL-5 gear oil
    be used. Treat the oil with Auburn Gear, GM or Ford friction additive. Three ounces of additive treats one quart of oil.
    Friction additive part numbers:
    Auburn Gear: 504102
    GM: 1052358
    Ford: C8A219B546A

Detroit Locker

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic? Do I need friction additive/modifier?
    A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Detroit Locker units. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Friction additive/modifier is not required.

Eaton Posi

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetics? Do I need a friction additive/modifier?
    Eaton Posi units perform best when using GL4 (or better) mineral/petroleum based gear oil. A four ounce bottle of friction additive/modifier is also necessary for optimum performance.
    Truetrac

What kind of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic? Do I need friction additive/modifier?
    A quality petroleum/mineral based oil works best in the Truetrac units. We do not recommend synthetic oil. Friction additive/modifier is not required.

WAVETRAC®

WAVETRAC® GEAR OIL RECOMMENDATIONS
    Your new Wavetrac® differential is incredibly durable and will withstand the harshest environments… as long as suitable oil is used.
    Many customers ask what oil we recommend for use with the Wavetrac® differential.
    We feel the best answer is:
    Use the “factory fill.”
    In other words, use the gear oil spec that your car manufacturer recommends for your car. The Wavetrac® is compatible with virtually all factory-installed gear oils used today.
    If you are racing your vehicle, and wish to upgrade the gear oil to improve performance or durability in racing conditions, choose the oil carefully: be aware that some gear oils have additives that are not recommended for use with your Wavetrac®.
    Some have friction modifiers designed for limited slip differentials. These modifiers generally increase slipperiness and are intended to reduce clutch disc chatter in conventional clutch-type LSDs.
    Some gear oils such as Red Line Oil’s Shockproof® type have microscopic solid particles in immersion in order to “cushion” transmission components, acting as an extreme pressure agent.
    The Wavetrac®, and all helical gear differentials in general, operate using friction. The friction generated between its internal gears and its housing are what allow this type of differential to function.
    Gear oil additives that drastically reduce friction will actually reduce the performance of gear differentials. The internals of the diff get too slick to generate adequate friction – reducing the differential’s effectiveness – reducing its ability to drive both wheels.
    In conclusion, when using a Wavetrac®:
    • Use factory spec oils for your car
    • Use factory-compatible high performance oils if you wish to upgrade the oil.
    Please consult Autotech Driveline for recommendations.
    • Do NOT use gear oils with friction modifiers or limited slip additives.
    • Do NOT use Shockproof®1 or similar gear oils designed to reduce friction.
    Please note that you will void the Wavetrac® Limited Lifetime Warranty if incorrect
    gear oil is used.
    1 Red Line Oil offers many, high quality, high performance gear oils that are compatible with Wavetrac® differentials.Only the Shockproof® types should not be used with the Wavetrac®.

API Ratings of Oils and Lubes:

API ratings

Gear oils are classified by the American Petroleum Institute using GL ratings. For example, most modern gearboxes require a GL-4 oil, and separate differentials (where fitted) require a GL-5 oil. It is important that purchasers check the oil against the vehicle manufacturer's specification to ensure it does not contain any aggressive chemicals that may attack yellow metal gear components, such as phosphor bronze.

API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil. Multigrade gear oils are becoming more common; while gear oil does not reach the temperatures of motor oil, it does warm up appreciably as the car is driven, due mostly to shear friction (with a small amount of heat conduction through the bellhousing from the engine block).

Fully synthetic gear oils are also used in many vehicles, and have a greater resistance to shear breakdown than mineral oils.

API classification subdivides all transmission oils into 6 classes:
    • API GL-1. Oils for light conditions. They consist of base oils without additives. Sometimes they contain small amounts of antioxidizing additives, corrosion inhibitors, depressants and antifoam additives. API GL-1 oils are designed for spiral-bevel, worm gears and manual transmissions without synchronizers in trucks and farming machines.
    • API GL-2. Oils for moderate conditions. They contain anti-wear additives and are designed for worm gears. Recommended for proper lubrication of tractor and farming machine transmissions.
    • API GL-3. Oils for moderate conditions. Contain up to 2.7% anti-wear additives. Designed for lubricating bevel and other gears of truck transmissions. Not recommended for hypoid gears.
    • API GL-4. Oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective anti-scuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. These oils are standard for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe, and may also be recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. GL-4 oils may also be used in many limited-slip differentials.
    • API GL-5. Oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective anti-scuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes, generally non limited-slip differentials. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except synchronized gearboxes specifying GL-4). Some GL-5 oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials only if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.
    • API GL-6 is not applied any more as it is considered that class API GL-5 well enough meets the most severe requirements. When API GL-6 was still in use, it denoted oils for very heavy conditions (high speeds of sliding and significant shock loadings). They contained up to 10% high performance anti-scuffing additives. They were designed for hypoid gears with significant displacement of axes. However, in 2011 at least one company offers new polyol ester based API GL-6 oil, mostly for racing applications. The application is limited to certain types of manual transmissions, but improvements in BSFC of about 5% in standard weather and driving conditions and up to 15-20% in cold extremes (arctic weather conditions) can be expected.

8. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Thanks for posting!

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You know you are supose to brake in your gears buy bringing them up to temp without heavy loads and let cool like four or five times and then change oil after 500 miles.
    So how should you do this on a drag car?

10. BobMcD

BobMcD

1/4 mile at a time.

11. Just set it 'n forget it!

"They" say you're suppose to chew your food 25 times too!

12. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Very good info, thank you!!

13. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Some trannys don't like super slippery fluids like the synthetics or some of the additives. Check with Richmond or be safe and use StaLube GL4. Do not use GL5 it has the super slippery stuff that doesn't allow the synchros to work properly