Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What brand gauge package do you guys use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sun-Pro, because they have plain white faces with black numbers (or vice-versa if you prefer), they seem to be as accurate as any, and I got a whole bunch on close out from Summit for $3 apiece. (That's why I checked the accuracy, and they were right on.)

3. You are aware that S/W sells two grades of gauges right? Like craftsman was selling professional grade and the cheap ones S/W sells expensive ones and cheap ones. If you are ordering online its dealer's choice. But if you go to a parts house you can ask and they will give you more then one price for the same gauge. The higher price is the better grade gauge.

You guys kill me, when you are lucky ever since the later '70s that I know of you have been using Mexican parts. Some of the boxes said, Made in America. Which is true of anything Mexican. Of the off shore (out of the US) options Mexico has always been your best option.

Now here is a joke on you all and only one that I personally know of, Bendix used to have a plant ( maybe they still do) in Independence Kansas ( SE corner of the state). I had friends that worked there in the '70s. They used to package Echlin, Accel, and those blister packs of ignition parts. The packaging all said USA on it, the components came in from Mexico and were either packaged or assembled and package there.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  4. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running Classic Instruments G-stock series in my '62 Belair and will be running So-Cals in my '29 roadster both with curved glass lenses.

5. Ford in a Ford. Used earl Bronco gauge units and constant voltage reg. in place of the gauges in my 46 Ford coupe.

6. So Beaner, Which ones are the good ones? The USA ones Or the Mexican ones? And how do we tell the difference?

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I like classic instruments as a rule. But i've been eying some autometers for the current build. For the love of god don't put dolphin gauges in it. Don't get me wrong i like their wiring harnesses and customer service but will never understand why people spend crap tons of money on their cars then put the cheapest gauges they can find in them.

Whatever you decide make sure you like them. You have to look at them all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Oh and i should clarify i'm a real gauge snob when it comes to looks. I'm leaning towards a refurbed set of 35-39 chevy truck gauges for my 34 pickup dash because i just don't want 5 individual gauges--It makes the dash look too busy to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wvenfield likes this.
  9. SW black faced in both cars. Some new some old.
    IMAG0082.jpg dash 3.JPG

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

These are Marshall's that I used in my 40, my first experience with them and so far very positive. I have used Autometer in other builds with positive results also.
    I researched Marshall gauges when looking at gauge sets, they are the same company that produce "Marsh" industrial gauges that I was very familiar with in the mechanical industry. They are and have very similar quality's and options like the Autometer gauge sets.

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bought a few sets of older SW gauges off of eBay to get what I wanted. Black face without the chrome ring, they had a silver ring, I put them behind the factory bezel in the 47 Lincoln. They look like they came in there. The fuel and volts gauges work fine, haven't hooked the electrical water temp and oil pressure up yet, still have to order some sending units from Speedway. I used the factory Lincoln speedometer, nobody makes one that large aftermarket, plus it has built in turn signal lights, a charge light, and a high beam light. And the clock matches it in size, but I took out the rusted works and replaced it with one of those clock motors that run on a AA battery. People are always amazed to see the second hand on the clock working, I don't let on my secret unless asked....
    This pic was when I was checking to see how they would fit 100_1847.JPG 100_1851.JPG
    This is the finished install. Wish I had of painted the rings black, they show on a couple of them a bit.

12. Currently I am running some vintage SW green line...but the OP doesn't work, not a fan of Ammeters in cars, and the temp gauge never gets about 70-80.
    So I am going with some Westach... mainly for the dual temp gauge for the flathead. And as far as I can tell they are made in the US.
    I will be keeping the flathead specific SW tach...and I wish I could identify the SW Speedo so I could get the correct gear for the T4 and make it somewhat accurate.

13. Most all speedometers work the same, nothing specific to a SW unit. Need to determine the % yours is off with your phone or gps; then check what speedo gears are in your trans and compare with the available gears to get it correct. Lot a times the gears are color coded for ID; don't know about your trans, tho.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Love my '48? Lincoln's, free high beam ind. & turns!
    DSCF8891.JPG DSCF8889.JPG DSCF8894.JPG

kadillackid, BamaMav and wvenfield like this.
  15. Most all CAR speedometer work the same, but that's not true of motorcycle units. While a turn ratio of 1000 cable revolutions equals one mile is pretty much 'standard' for car units, you'll find different ratios on bikes, with variations between models/brands.

RICH B likes this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

SUN are my favorite.

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0642.JPG Basicly NOS Stewart Warner date coded 1957. And cheaper than a new set of Chinese gauges

wvenfield and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, exactly like my 47. You can use either the top or bottom for bright lights, and the other for a charge indcator. My 4 gauge panel gauges were kinda rough was the reason I used the SW's in their place.

19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Classic has 10% off for St paddys day. I'm not sure all the options I want though. Not sure I want Classic yet either.

20. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Only thing I do want is a electronic speedo. I am running a Mustang 5 speed and have the transducer. Easy peasy.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

IMG_1809.JPG DSC02426.JPG

Kind of have a mix and match with a '32 Speedo, S-W Wings oil and volt meter and a custom ordered 4000 RPM Classic tach that replaced the 8000 RPM SW wings tach. I use a motometer for the temp. Since the A engine is splash lubrication, the guage is worthless other than jerking passengers around!

22. Speed~On

Speed~On

In my humble opinion there is nothing more appropriate than using early original Stewart Warner gauges in a pre-war hot rod. These gauges were produced in the 1950's and are of high quality. Put together a set of 2 5/8", crescent needle, curved glass, smooth bezel, front mount gauges. The look is incredible.

HAMBer jeffbtitus has a great example:
    sw.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  23. Bought some VDO gauges years ago for my '47; was fooling around with them the other day and started making a bezel out of some old '36 hood trim.
    Now it seems to me they are too modern looking; guess I need to find something else. Maybe some SW deluxe?
    IMG_20180312_141856 (Medium).jpg

24. speedhut. I love mine. You tell them what you want, that's what you get, because they are all made to order. You pick size, bezel shape and color, dial face color, font, numerical range, needle design and color, lighting. The best part of all this is their excellent quality, made in Utah, their service, and all the problems you won't have.
    Go to their website and play with their design options!
    For example, one option is their electronic GPS speedometer. It has 6 or 8 functions, including measuring and recording 1/4 speed and time, altimeter (love that in the mountains), recording 0-60 time and feet, etc. GPS is very quick response, much faster than a normal GPS for mph. Gear ratios and tire size have zero effect on the speedo, because it's not wired to any of that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  25. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

20180106_124404.jpg classic instruments. Custom made back ground.

brigrat likes this.
  26. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

classic instruments - vintage and a sun tach, also used a gps speedo sensor, simple 3-wire hookup 2016-10-12 03.19.29.jpg

27. 1BB3E991-42C5-4F5B-A1E1-EA60040FDD35.jpeg I like these...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  28. I went with VDO white face electrical because I got a hellava deal on a whole set.

(74)SoCal panel.JPG

29. Switched to SW. Other than the cockeyed speedo and the dual ammeters; what ya think; better than the VDO's in post 54? Bezel still needs welding and polish. Next step back in time would be the stock '41 dash that is hanging on the kid's wall.
    47 dash SW.jpg

Speed~On and Just Gary like this.
  30. RICH B, I think they look much better. But are they new SW's that are made in Mexico? Do they work correctly?