Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What are your thoughts on this 55 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Nov 22, 2019.

1. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]

Hello,
    Interesting find, but as I was looking at the photo, several things stand out. There aren't too many street driven sedans that look like this. Have HAMB's @The Moose get rid of the wheels, lower it to the ground and add in some nice chromed reversed rims. It might go into the custom car category and not a drag race looking car. At any rate, the chopped top has the different approach to any build and if the finished product is not a drag racing car, but a full custom, it might win more people over to your side.

There were some salt flat racers that had chopped a Chevy sedan and lowered it to the ground. Their purpose was for every inch, some kind of streamlining and possibly unusual looks. This Chevy has the starting point, but the auction may have takers or it may go for a terrible price, just to be different. Don't be swayed either way, there are chopped Chevy sedans that have a good look to them when finished.

Jnaki
    If you have the time, skills and money, it would look good as a full custom, lowered and a very cool cruiser. Isn't being different what individuality is all about in any field, especially a custom car/hot rod field? Look at those crazy customs from the 50s-60s and compare them to traditional 1928 fender less roadsters...

ffr1222k likes this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

No.....Hell no!

3. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Oh, I don't know... a couple three or four gallons of bondo, a few hundred hours of sanding , a few hundred, maybe thousand dollars in glass... you could have a really, sort of, maybe, almost good looking something.

4. fuzzface

fuzzface

I see the 55 has 55 watchers and been viewed 4,965 times but that is probably because it was posted here. I also noticed that there was no offers made on it yet.

Me, I kinda like it and if it was at a local auction I would definitely have to take a closer look at it. What I see I could live with or change easily. The main thing I hate is the square back window that they planned to install but I guess they thought that would be a cheap way out.

I guess I will make it 56 watchers on it but I am not buying. Being nosey and I actually have enough projects for the rest of my life here already but if I didn't I would be thinking harder about making an offer on it seeing Iowa isn't really that far away.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Save the wheels. Junk the rest.

olscrounger and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. fuzzface

fuzzface

Noticed he also has a '35 listed at the same price or offer with a 55 chevy dash in it. Was he using the 55 as a parts car at one time? or maybe someone else was. he does have lots of items up like over 1700 items.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

New
    (Save the wheels. Junk the rest.)

He already sold the back wheels off of it.

8. scotts52

scotts52

Maybe take your turn at turning it into a convertible. Thought I read somewhere that you could buy just about everything needed to turn a 4 door into a convertible

9. Jay71

Jay71

I wanna see it lowered as a kustom rather than the gasser stance. Only then can I put in my .02! I’m thinking the body mods lend itself to the kustom style much better.

10. Looks better than a 57 bel air

11. I dated an ugly woman once she was a lot of fun. :D

I would have to look hard at a stocker but it appears to be altered wheelbase. Chopped tri 5s are actually pretty rare. Just seems like they were not a car that got hammered very often. I have my own ideas for a five five but I doubt I will ever own one so no reason to dwell on 'em.

12. Looks like the start of a 55 El Camino to me!

Just Gary likes this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

Nothing so bad it can't be remedied. What was added can be removed.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

It would make a good roundy round car

WB69 likes this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface

For the ones interested they are working their magic on this car in the photoshop thread

Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  16. Not that abomination^!!
    I've scrapped out better looking stuff.

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

It wouldn't matter to me if the body was perfect.......its that Gasser look that makes me want to vomit.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Boodlum

Boodlum

Do the absolute least possible to get it running, registered and drive it that way.
    It's my kind of car.
    But I like "Crazy Charlie" Woit kind of cars.
    [​IMG]

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

That price is INSANE! The body has no rockers at all, NOTHING is done right, and I will bet fifty bucks it is literally just "sitting" on the chassis with no actual body-to-frame mounts.

If it was local and I had a summer to kill I would consider it for $500 but I would end up parting out the usable pieces and scraping the rest.
    It would be easier to build a car from scratch than to fix every stupid thing some hack did to that.

clem likes this.
  21. ...and another tri-five bites the dust.

22. So a car site that has threads on cars being dug out of ditches and rebuilt is struggling with this one?

23. I've seen cars dug out of ditches with more potential.

Nicholas Coe and atomickustom like this.
  24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

All though I think it could have potential, I guess what it needs is 30 years of bird and mouse crap on it with dry rotted bias ply wide whites and red wheels and called a pantina barn find and everyone would say get it running and drive it as is!:confused::confused: lol Larry

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Heres what some of the guys over in the photo shop thread did,(Thanks to them for doing this:cool:)
    I like a custom gasser funny car type vibe for this one(for lack of proper term), picturing a balls to the wall obnoxiously loud wheel stand off the line with it..........
    I will agree this one wouldnt be for a guy that needs to start off with a nice car to "create" a nice car:D
    upload_2019-11-23_20-34-14.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-23_20-34-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-23_20-35-10.jpeg

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

For me, it's ixnay on the custom version, but the other two don't look bad.

hotrodjack33 and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

needs the hardtop back glass. no chop

28. X-cpe

X-cpe

Maybe he started out with a tree fall '55 and another something rusted up to the door handles and had a vision. Then he ran out of bubble gum and bailing wire. It takes a lot of time, talent and money to turn a "say what" vision into a "daayuum" car.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

^^ I like the red gasser style one. The chop gives it a racier more streamline look . I would still change the back glass to something with round corners like the 41 Chevy unit I have in my 51 Merc. If you cannot look at a car or truck and see potential in it other than what it is stock then you are not a rod or custom guy or gal, you are an old car /restorer and there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't look down at those of us who see things outside the box. Larry

30. fastcar1953

fastcar1953