Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you guys using for a transmission jack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Oh you He-man you. :rolleyes:

2. hippy killer

hippy killer

good old us made walker

Attached Files:

• mail.jpg
      mail.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Jimm56

Jimm56

I still remember the first time I pulled a trans. My mouth was directly below the rear seal when I pulled the driveshaft out. Transmission oil tastes like fish! I can still taste it today, 40 years later.:eek:
    Last time I replaced one, I used a floor jack and #1 son.

4. Same thing I use. Plus some four inch long high quality studs in the bottom two bellhousing bolt holes.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I rent one from a local tool rental shop.

6. Jims35

Jims35

Same as a few others, many many years ago. Transmission on chest , hold your butt checks together tight and lift. I'v had back surgery and two hernia surgerys since then so no more of that.:D

7. 5/7HEAVEN

5/7HEAVEN
    from Hawaii

LOL, me too. Last one was a Richmond 5-speed, 10 years ago. My teenage son was helping me. Before we got the heavy sucker into the '57, he quit and went surfing. By the time he returned, I installed it myself. Rolling that trans on my chest was torture, lol. Next trans going in is a Camaro T5. Should be easier. I'm 66, but son is weightlifter now. Plus, I'm getting an m/c jack.:D

8. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Well, in the old days before Harbor Fright, and very heavy 4spd hydro's were common a misplaced shopping cart with relatively good wheels was hastened back to the garage where the upper wire basket was torched off. Next three cheap Western Auto scissors jacks where welded one on each side and one in the rear with the appropriate angle iron weld to the tops of the jacks.
    A guy on each side adjusting was the easiest, but one guy could do it, but it took longer.

9. Not trying to brag by using stupidity its just that my transmission is about the size of my wifes biggest purse. Stock floor shift 3 speed. Not much weight to it when it is drained.

10. i used a HF motorcycle jack once going out

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Years ago, when I was young and foolish, I put a Muncie 4 speed in standing in a pit in the garage. I got it wrestled in only to find that the bolts were out of reach. I wiggled the transmission to see if it stayed put, it did, I turned to grab a bolt and it slide out and fell on my leg. Left a huge bruise and several years later I found out it had cracked the bone.

I've used a plate on a floor jack and the scissor jack at home. I like the scissor screw type best because it's easier to make small adjustments. The places I've worked have had nice jacks to use under a hoist.

12. jazz1

jazz1

I have always used hands and knees while on my back,,last one was the 700R4 3 years ago,,they are getting heavier than they were 30 years ago. A floor jack is handy to hold transmission in place. I would get a proper transmission jack if I were doing this on a weekly basis. There are some great ideas here,,think I will convince my son he needs a motorcycle jack.

13. Well we got it in. What a task!! The motorcycle jack would not work. There was not enough clearence as it went up due to the X-frame. We ended up using a floor jack with a piece of plywood and some wood wedges. It was quite a juugling act but with my sons helped and managed to get it in. If I ever have to pull it again I think I will get a tranny jack for safetys sake. Thanks for all your inputs.
    Todd

14. My question to add to this thread would be what kind of Hi Lift Transmission Jack is suitable for a weekend hobbyist as myself?
    I have a drive on 4 post Rotary lift, I love it.
    I need a tall transmission jack to use in conjunction with the lift.
    Is Harbor Freight's tall transmission jack suitable for occasional use, once or twice a year at the very most?

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In the old (dumb) days, I would just lay on the creeper, put a small piece of plywood on my chest, toploader on the plywood, roll under and bench press- many moons ago :eek: Did I mention toploaders are frikken' heavy? I picked up an old dedicated trans jack with the leveling screws and all a while back, works good but still close quarters under the car. Now I cheat, and roll the Handy motorcycle lift under my four-poster with the trans & jack on top, raise the Handy and lower the car lift until it's just right, and just sit in a chair next to the Handy lift and stab it :D

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

I lay on my back, pick my trans up and stab it in. Or you could use a floor jack, just make a adapter.

17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I also have one of these. It works fine for me, a home builder. I wouldn't want to try to make a living with it.

When I had a iron T-10, I made a cradle for my floor jack. It was a piece of 14 ga steel cut to conform to the bottom of the bearing retainer, another to fit under the tail housing and a 2X4 in between. I jacked it up and slid it on with guide studs and started the bolts then let the jack down and tighten the bolts.The front piece of steel was thin enough to get the bolts started safely and still get the cradle down an out.

Blue

18. thirty years ago i pulled three floor tranny jacks out of the scrap bin of a rental place. i made one good one out of them. when i bought a lift i made a bracket to mount it on an old industrial work cart. it is so sturdy i can clamp a jeep cross member to it and pull tranny and transfer as a whole. it can be unbolted to use it on the ground if need be [my neighbor is borrowing it now to use this way].

19. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

the horrible freight work ok

20. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

YEp,thats what i use too.

21. evintho

evintho

Made a holding fixture outta scrap lumber and a couple of 'L' brackets. Removed the saddle from my cheap Costco floor jack, sunk a 1" pipe nipple into the base of the fixture and ran a bolt through it. Makes my life soooo much easier!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was at it, I made a fixture for gas tanks too. It's like having a couple extra sets of hands!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

count me in with boob and st louis gasser. i got a sears motorcycle jack because it was a lot cheaper than a transmission jack and it works great!

23. I used the harbor freight trans adaptor tool for the jack and it worked like ass. Couldn't get trans low enough to pull from under car.. Had to use engine hoist through hole in floor to lift and lower th350 of off transjack and place on a roller dolly to slide out. Pain in the ass but it was worse goin back in that way lol

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

25. RatPin

RatPin

I have an $80 craftsman ATV jack that has been a lifesaver over the years. I can't imagine not having it.

This one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. stimpy

stimpy

same here but use a 3/4 Inch carriage bolt and a plate under the thru the hole for the saddle I let it stay loose enough to wobble around and cheap ratchet straps to hold the trans to it .