Register now to get rid of these ads!

what are you guys running for mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cayager, Sep 10, 2012.

1. cayager

cayager

what are you guys running for mufflers these days? im building a model a with a blown big block chevy. with all the laws becoming tougher i dont want any problems for being to loud when it comes to inspection time. personally i dont mind any kind of noise but dont want to be hassled either. i was looking at flowmaster mufflers but was told they are loud?. maybe thrush muffler? or how bout tricks to quit it down at sticker time? thanks for any input

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Flowmaster 40 series.

If Harley's can't be too loud............then why should we worry?

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Thrush Turbos, nice and mellow sounding, at least behind a mild 350 SBC. I made my entire system out of 2 inch stainless tubing, it has a nice sound to it.

Attached Files:

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've never used them personally but those flow master hushpower II's are supposed to be extremely quiet and still offer good flow. You could put those on the car and cutouts for when you want to be as loud and annoying as a Harley...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. I have Edelbrock SS mufflers on my '57. They sound great, not too loud and will never rot.

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Flowmaster 40's as well. Best part is they were free! Not very quiet though....

7. Gator

Gator

Smithys or Porters. Flowmasters have too much of a a 'musclecar' sound to me. I had a pair of 'Cherry Bomb' turbos on my last project (472 powered 55 Cadillac) and they blew out even though they were nearly new.

[​IMG]

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

10. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

PORTERS support H.A.M.B.vendors..

11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Personally I find Flowmasters too raspy. Magnaflows have a smoother but intense sound to them.

12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I just put two of the Thrush generic flowmasters on a Y block. $33 ea out of summit and I think they sound great.

13. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Run these and you will be very happy!

14. Keith English

Keith English

fentons into 2in pipe to open lakes, but then we dont have to be inspected here either.. magna flows with some capped cut outs for when you want it load.

15. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Harley Davidson Slip ons here. Not even close to inspection though.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I have some of the old Flowmaster "Big Block" mufflers on my 55, with full tail pipes, they're pretty quiet from inside the car. They're heavy and really big. I have 3" pipes front to back.

I've been thinking about putting something else on, but I don't know what.

17. wallyringo

wallyringo

Thrush Turbos here

18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I've got a Porter on the Buick, soon to be dual Porters. The single sounds really, really good. It sounds deep and sinister without being deafening.

Porters will be going on the '62 Longroof too, once we get past rust-abatement...

19. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Red's headers into Smithy's with my 8BA, sounds just right.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I run stainless magnaflow turbo's on the Shoebox. Sounds good, not too loud. I run Thrush welded on my dailey driver with an LT1 and it sounds great w/out being annoying.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Um, Its a blown BB chevy, not a flathead:rolleyes:Porters or smittys would probably cost in the area of 75-100hp on that motor...Magnaflows or 3 1/2" Dynomax ultraflows. The longer ones are quieter.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry but to me a blown big block and Porter mufflers do no go together. My 34 P/U has no mufflers, zero, nada.

I love both styles but do not like it when they cross contaminate. I'm using Flow master clones on my 56 project just to get that thumper sound. 2 completely different style cars with completely different exhaust systems and sounds...I love them both.

A 50's style hotrod should not sound like a thumper car and a blown BB should not sound like a 50s hotrod. JMHO

23. Canuck

Canuck

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Magnaflow Turbo design mufflers, same size as a regular Magnaflow that are really a straight throug design. The ones I am looking at are 4 x 9 x 14 cases.

Going thru the same quandry here for my Model A with a 425 Buick running 2.5" pipes. Not a lot of room under a A.

One or the regulations here (not necessarily enforced but a regulation that could be used against you) is No Straight Through Mufflers :mad:.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cherry Bomb turbos blowing out, they were one of the mufflers on my short list. Liked the small size but wondered about the single layer case.

Looks like I am looking for the same thing as Cayager.

Thanks from both of us for any help.

Canuck

24. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Smithys, swapping to Porters as I plan on redoing my whole exhaust. Having a good buddy that owns a muffler shop that is annoyed with the quality of work on my current exhaust system helps:D

25. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget about the Brockman Mellow Tones. That's what I have, though they are not installed yet so I can't provide a sound clip.

26. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have enjoyed the low rumble of SS Magnaflows behind Dynatech headers for four years now. They do not resonate like 2-chamber Flowmasters. I fought the local muffler shop who gets most of the muscle car business in the area. He is a Flowmaster dealer and really tried to push the flowmasters on me. I was adament and said no way. He also got a little annoyed when I told him I wanted the tailpipes tips to be within the "angle of departure," and exit like a '69 Camaro's.

27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Some you have heard the sound of my car. It's a big block 6 with a 270 cam, 2 1/2" pipes through a pair of "18" chambered" mufflers. The 40 sounds like a bad V-8 when idling, but like a one half a P-51 Mustang when you get on it. I've seen grown men clasp their ears and teenagers cry!
    It's a beautiful thing!

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have Summit brand turbo mufflers on mine, and they're mellow.

29. cayager

cayager

thanks for the replies. im not so worried about the law around here, ive rarely heard of guys getting pulled over, once in a while but not very often. i dont want to open a can of worms at inspecton time. i will check out all of your suggestion. my buddy have the flowmaster 40's he said they were really loud. you hate to build a whole system around one thing and have to cut it apart to fit in another. loud engines are music to me but not to the state i guess

30. Rocket88

Rocket88