Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you guys paying for Louvers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by allstarderrick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Some louvers just looks better than others. Size, shape of the die, and layout.

I like louvers with a round top and defined edges, but not so crisp that it looks like they are separate from the panel. Does anyone remember the individual bolt on louvers that used to be advertised in Street Rodder? That's what some flat topped louvers look like to me.

I'd pay the asking price to get the correct look.

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I remember the same thread a while back (couple of years at least). Prices were much higher than what is being quoted here, and almost all has a setup fee.

Has the bad economy finally brought prices down?

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

We use a GoodTimes louver press (bought it as a kit). Been doing louvers as side "hobby" since the 80s. We get $2 a louver, no set up fee but we will only take clean bare metal to louver, we don't do stripping or blasting. Press is in Exeter, NH, close to I95.

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I'd think a louver guy would want to charge by the hour, not the louver. Does a painter charge by the gallon?

5. lawman

lawman

Eight years ago when I was in business ( Classic Fabrication Inc) I charged $1.00 a pop.The set up fee was $30.00 an hour.

LongT likes this.
  6. I think if you shop around you can find them for a buck and a quarter a louver around here. I am seriously trying to get Need Louvers to do mine for free. ;)

7. williebill

williebill

I thought the going rate was $1 apiece...years ago,when guys made $4-5 an hour,and gas was under a buck a gallon. For quality work,I haven't seen any price that seems too high listed on here.

8. Kevin,
    They used to sell louvered panels in JC Whittney, they just looked like ass. I think I have a good idea what you are talking about.

There is a guy in Wathena, KS that punches the old style louvers like you (and I) like. His stuff used to be top notch, I'll bet it still is. He used to charge $1.05, I heard that he is up to $1.25 now.

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

A guy in Reno gets $3.00 a hole. I like louvers but I hate painting and polishing a louvered panel:eek:

I have no problem at all with the cost because i know what the work involves...But I just can't afford to pay for 150 or mor louvers at that rate, so I don't have any on any of my cars....

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

11. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Anybody in North Carolina do louvers? Am looking to have my '39 hood done in a little while.

12. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

I think louvers are a personal taste thing, Personally I like the rounded old hot rod style, so that is the type I have, others like the more square style. Here are some shots of a panel we had sitting around and punched when setting up different dies to test the clearance of the die, so they are not lined up, but you get the idea of the shape, shown are 3"-6" sizes

Attached Files:

13. wallyringo

wallyringo

I need to check the buissness cards ive pick up for shops in Los Angeles but I think they charge $5- per louver. that can get real expensive.

14. Dave50

Dave50

I only charge a buck but i use a Plasma cutter..

15. This old fella at the swapmeet sold me a whole bucket full for $5.:D

16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I grew up in Hudson Valley of New York. Back then, the 50's, we went to Almquist Eng in PA for louvers and they were a $1 a louver back then, sixty years ago. We charged $1 a louver from '85 to '01, when we went to $2. Most louver outfits I know of are a secondary occupation. Maybe a speed shop or a body shop that has a press as an adjunct to their business. So you fit a louver job in with your other work and it is easier to cost it out by the louver than keep track of all the times you work on a job. And as one poster said, if you figure it out by the hour you spend on it, and if you compare that time in terms of minimum wage to the $2 a louver price, I know DJ's loses money in that comparison. I am a retired utility worker and my partner is semi-retired heavy equipment operator. We have a press so we can do our own louvers whenever, and we use word of mouth to do some outside work too. And lets face it, it is cool to own a louver press! That's why we bought it in the first place.

17. alchemy

alchemy

I'll charge a quarter each, but a guy would need to bring his own sharp chisel.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think if I priced my work by the hour I would have to provide smelling salts to wake the customers back up after a quote!

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I am remembering exactly the same thing. When my Son was looking to have the louvers he had done about 5 years or so ago we were getting prices like $5 each. Then he found the guy in Orlando at $3 each. If I had someone close doing them for a buck or two I would have every panel on the car punched with holes. :D

Don

20. OneBad56

OneBad56

Most guys punching louvers got out of the business as not much demand for them anymore.

When looking for someone several years back, could only find one guy 3 hours north for $3.50 each plus set up and prep.

A retired friend in Kelowna, BC has a punch and charged me 1 buck per louver and 25 dollar prep fee. Punched 114 louvers in the hood. Even though it was inexpensive for me, cost me a rental truck, 2 days driving, one day there and a pile of beer. Factor all that in and I think it averages about 7 bucks per louver in the end.

Now have someone about 45 minutes east and another one, again, 3 hours north.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man you guys are gettin' raped!!! Here's what we get around here for $.65...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. That man is very nice.one of the more memorable guys on here for giving me advice.if I was in his area hands down I'd have him do mine.very great guy.

23. b-bob

b-bob

Another important thing to consider is the operator. I would pay more for someone who is known for good straight rows that are even and line up straight.I've seen some sloppy ones out there. Luckily there is a good louver guy not far from me, but i just can't bring myself to louver my 39 hood. He did my 48 Ford p.u. a couple of years a go and it was perfect.

24. Lockjaw

Lockjaw

i charge 2.00 per louver and that's cheap in hours to do the job! if i need to do anything but layout and punching that's at shop rate.

Attached Files:

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, I have yet to post on this thread other than the comment that if I charged by the hour my customers would faint. Part of the reason is layout. I generally put in about three times the time doing layout that I do actually on the press. I have this silly notion that tapered and curved panels deserve much more than just straight lines, so I work out patterns on the topside generally before I commit them to a punchable format on the underside. Details such as matching hoods and decklids so the pattern flows from end to end are considered. The other very time consuming detail for me is setting each punch up on an "X" and "Y" axis. I have a line for each vent as well as centerline for each louver. It is worth it in the end to have the job come out perfect! The last detail is actually supporting the part correctly as it runs through the press. The metal has to sit neutral on the die before it is struck, otherwise any stretches or buckles will be telegraphed into the hood itself.

This stuff is lots of work gang...

Thank you very much for the very kind words on my behalf on this thread!!!

Attached Files:

a boner likes this.
  26. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

I charge 2.50 per plus setup if they arent initially laid out and of course it doesnt include stripping or removal of obstructions . I also have the ability to do hood sides and such that need undetermined length and curvature .

Attached Files:

27. b-bob

b-bob

Man, that Merc hood must have eatin up some time, wow!

28. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

NEEDLOUVERS , Very nice work and layout . Have you tried using lasers for your X Y . I finally installed them and they really help out on the time .

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No I haven't yet. I did have some one suggest that a bit ago but I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

30. saucerhead

saucerhead

Hey Skidmarks . The guy doing my 25 cent louvers does a perfect job. His louvers aren't washed out, or distort the surrounding metal like yours. He just does it basically as a hobby and likes to chat with car guys. He has done many high end cars, and he made his own press and dies because he once got screwed by someone doing louvers for him.