Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you going to build your daughter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PoPo, May 23, 2008.

1. sadayo

sadayo

It's too far down the road to even think about my kids driving yet, but they seem to be on the right track so far. My husband had our truck out in the driveway this past weekend washing and polishing it, so the girls (3 and 6) decided they needed to be just like dad and pulled their PowerWheels Jeep out and parked it next to the truck and proceeded to make their own rig shine.

2. My daughter loves these trucks. I had a '52 Carryall before she was born. Her name is Cameo so I told her we need to get her a '57 Cameo.

3. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

My daughter is 14 1/2 (with 3 brothers right behind her). I've been looking for a cheap '60-63 Comet to buy now, work on and have it ready for her to drive. Figured if it has a 6 cyl. and I put in 3pt. seat belts, with all that metal around her, she should be in good shape.

4. I have 8 year old twins (one of each), and I already have two 55 2dr HT Belairs for them. I told my daughter I would build hers for her (I want to drive it now), but I told my son that I wouldn't build it until he was ready to help me. I know that sounds unfair, but I feel that he will respond to the leverage more than she will. I don't care if they drive them to high school, or sell them for college money, but I made a commitment to them, and I hope to keep it.

5. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

I've got one of these in the garage that my little girl seems to really like. With 5,100-pounds of import crushing weight I feel pretty confident that she'll be safe in it. Plus, she'll be the only kid around who has one.

Long roofs rule!

Attached Files:

6. last g-man

last g-man

............my 12 yr old wants a T bucket or a '50 Merc, 8 yr old has a liking for late forties Chevys [cars and trucks]....both girls. The older one is starting to get more serious in her thinking since she doesn't want to end up w/either of my current projects which are a '49 Chevy panel truck and a '66 Impala convertible. We will see...........

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

My oldest daughter (13) is torn between the 55 International pickup my dad has and an old VW. I think in a couple years she will realize how ugly the International is and go with something else.

8. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

Looks like a real undertaking on that car. PM me if ur interested in a real solid 71 that is a dark purplish blue to boot for a girl ;) We have been asking 4500 for a driver with a little tinkering.

9. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Personally I'm going to teach her to build her own. Hell, she's not even two and the other day out in the garage she figured out a wrench goes on a nut herself.

Don't handicap your daughter with preconceptions about "girls", teach her to stand on her own.

10. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Oddly enough, just as I am reading the last post in this thread, my 4 year old (daughter) comes in and asks if I want to come and help her build a "birdie Car" (what she calls my T-Bird). I'm not sure if that car will ever become hers, but she will definitely get to drive it when the time comes.

She bugs me every week to go to one of our local cruises in it and looks very dejected when I pick her up from school in anything but that car.

I told her about the A on deuce rails I am building and she can't wait to get out in the garage and help with it.

11. I have a daughter?:eek:
    Man, I knew she was lying about being on the pill.:mad:

12. Wesley

Wesley

My daughter and I bought a 89 S-10 blazer out of the junkyard for $400 and spent the next couple of months getting it road worthy. We had an agreement that I would not work on it unless she was there to help. Along the way she learned how to change all of the fluids and filters, a tune up, brake job, drop spindles and lowering blocks, stereo installation, a/c blower motor replacement, charging the a/c system, checking the air in the tires, scaping off multiple layers of window tint, radiator replacement, changing a flat tire, repairing a broken wndow regulator, replacing window weatherstripping, and replacing a broken door glass. I am sure there are other things that we did on her truck that I have forgotten.
    Along the way my daughter and I have become much closer, we know each other much better than we did a year and a half ago. When her truck needs something now she doesnt come to me and say "Dad, my truck needs...", she comes to me and askes, "how do I do this" or "Dad would you mind helping me".
    As an added feature bonus, I got the satisfaction of watching her fix the blower motor on her boyfriends truck while he stood there not knowing what to do. There was also the time she came out of cheerleader practice to find one of her friends in tears because she had a flat and didn't know what to do and she couldn't reach her father on the phone. My daughter told her to calm down, I will change the tire for you and then did just that.
    My daughter has been driving solo for almost a year now and so far (knock on wood) no tickets or accidents. Although there was the time she got pulled over because the cop thought there was no way she was old enough (he thought she was 13) to be driving.
    Needless to say I am very proud of my daughter.

13. You're really going to send your daughter out in a wagon?

JH

Attached Files:

14. JF

JF
    from Utah

not my car but my 5 yr old loved it, this was last week at a local car show.
    [​IMG]

I have a while yet, before I need to think about a car for her. see thinks she wants a jeep and a bug. she better start aving her money!

edit: oops sorry about the pic size

15. Abomination

Abomination

Oh man... I have 3-year-old twin girls...

~Jason

16. Its an ABSOLUTE fact that the car companies of today are continually trying to take driver interaction out of the vehicle. It seems cars that drive themselves have been their vision since day one, and yeah with the way most people drive nowadays it may be safer to let a damn computer control things! I wholeheartedly agree that new cars are constantly giving the arrogant/ignorant individuals of the world a false sense of security everytime they get behind the wheel of their new plastic toys. It takes so little effort to actually "drive" a car today and judging by the way most people drive they have apparently stopped giving tests! No one "knows" their vehicles anymore. They dont know the machines limitations yet they drive them like they have none! ANY car can kill you, regardless of how many airbags or how much horsepower it has. My wife has a supercharged Grand Prix that would absolutely blow the doors off the first generation Lightning PU I had....family car. I dont know about the "numbers" BUT I do know that I see an Allstate commercial every single day claiming that an accident happens every 12 seconds in this country....hmmm. Thats a whole lot of accidents....I can name off a half dozen young people that I knew that were killed in car accidents in the past 9 months, not a single one of them involved an "old" car. I also grew up in times before seatbelt laws and child seats. I remember when people used to mind their own fuckin business too, but those days are long gone. My wife used to get me to a boiling point when Id wanna take my 4 yr old around the block in my old Merc, she'd raise hell about him being in the car with no a/c and all the windows down and blah blah blah......I worry MORE about her being in her BRAND NEW grand prix with all the windows up and the a/c and stereo on b/c you couldnt hear a fucking locomotive run your ass over in that thing!! Yet, thats what we put young adults in EVERYDAY, "safe cars". Sorry for the rant...

My daughter is only 2 but she can have whatever she wants, shes has daddy wrapped around her little finger!

17. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Awsome rant.

Golf clap...

awesome!!

dig it.

18. The question is what will you build together. My 3 year old loves to go for rides in my Camaro with Solid engine mounts. She said she loves the noisy fast car.

She also like to help in the garage.

My only fear is that she seems to like Old Jag XKE's at the car shows. I need to steer her towards something more affordable.

Attached Files:

19. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

I'm building my 19 month old daughter an electric fence, to keep her in and the boys out!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter is 28 and she still wants a steel bodied 40 Willies Coupe.
    She will most likely end up with the 48 some day as she grew up in it.

Her first car was a tank of a 78 Mercury Monarch, 6 cyl auto that was dead nuts reliable and strong enough to keep her and her pals safe in their miss adventures.

21. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

a convertible vw with a stock 40 horse motor in the back. I know better than to give someone with my blood alot of power. She would be wrapped around a telephone pole in the first 48 hours. Hahaha...

22. 4woody

4woody

My Daughter is 13 and at the moment she finds the old cars (and nearly everything else about her parents) terribly embarassing.

She secretly still likes the 50 Plymouth Woodie though. I think she suspects that it might be cool after all.

23. Brewton

Brewton

I have an arrangement with my daughter and son - I will match them dollar for dollar on their first car, and hour for hour (if it needs to be fixed up) but it has to be a cool car.

24. 6tall

6tall

My 10 year old daughter is my oldest of my 2 kids and she likes cars more than my 9 year old boy. She loves Mustangs and anything old painted purple. Both kids have been combing the ditches (and my garage) for beer empties for 2 years and have saved $350 towards a go-kart ...... figure that'll be a spark to wanting to build something with me in the garage in the future. She's been to more car shows and swap meets than my boy. Don't know what she'll want when she's 16 but I hope it's not a Civic !!!

25. jimmyv

jimmyv

Got my daughter a 77 TA. She drove it all through High School. She's in College now and we have her car in our shop doing a total restoration. Got here a 85 Bronco to drive to school and work while we work on her TA.

Attached Files:

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

This beast for my daughter. I put it on a 80s Mercury Grand Marquis Car frame. I got $700 in it and the donor car, not counting the engine, which is the engine I 1st built with my dad when I was in high school, a 390 FE with C6 tranny. I figure itll have the typical handling of a newer car (well somewhat at least) with the tank-like durability of a older truck. And if she wrecks it, she should be pretty safe, and I wont be out that much as these trucks sell for about $500 or so around here.

Attached Files:

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mine grew up around race cars and such, kinda took em for granted and didn't have any major interest in them. When she got to be around 13-14 she tells me she wants to race micro sprints. Far out! I say :D let's build one. Got to about this point in the build and she discovers BOYS! :( Oh well, never mind. :mad:

Attached Files:

28. the-rodster

the-rodster

I have two smart, beautiful daughters....

The oldest gets her license next month.

They have absolutely NO interest in old cars.

I'm looking for a 2000 Celica, black, auto... :(

Rich

29. Yamaha_chop

Yamaha_chop

I keep asking my daughter what kind of car she'll want to build with me, but she won't answer!

[​IMG]

(caption courtesy of my wife)

30. Mudville

Mudville

Both my daughters are grown. However, one has kids and the middle one is a boy who is the pride of his "Grumpy". He is only 2 1/2, so we will have to wait a while. I just hope we're still building hot rods then!