Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you doing with your car stuff when you die?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconwagon62, Jan 6, 2008.

1. My wife has instructions to send all you guys auction bidder numbers - LOL.

Charlie

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

You have valuable fish?

Nurturing an eight year old to appreciate the stuff I leave behind.

3. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

I have a rare Mercedes here I bought after seeing a advert in a local trading paper. Price was $1200 or near offer. I go to the address supplied by a guy on the phone and find a house and garage full of early Holden parts,tools etc etc . One guy has just beat me there and bought the entire house contents from some woman who has just inherited the lot a few days before ....for $1200.(SHE HAD BEEN THE DECEASED NURSE)
    I get into a bit of a "tense" moment with this clown who has obviously just scored the find of his life and suddenly has plans to change his name to Croesus. I end up paying him $5000 to get the car plus any parts that are in it and all the books etc belonging to it. ( i didn't all the stuff because he kept boxes of it and some keeps appearing on ebay...prick!) .
    As I am about to load my new car on to the truck a couple appear, looking very pissed off.it's the deceased's brother and sister who were left a very shitty caravan ( trailer,VALUE ..nIL ) . They wanted the Mercedes but had been cut out of the whole thing.
    By now we are all talking pretty heatedly in the back yard ,the deceased hadn't even been buried ...
    I took off and left them to it, the heiress,the entreprenuer and the grieving relatives.
    About two years later I find the identity of the deceased and find he's the same age as me and I knew him In New Zealand. It was one of those moments when you realise your mortality and think about what happens to what you are going to leave behind. I have made arrangements for most of mine and considering I have grown children who have their own lives etc they won't be getting too much because they don't need it . It must also be remembered that descendents often fight over wills so if you are taking a while to die..sell it all .Fuck em !:D

4. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

My father passed three years ago and just before he died, he went to a seminar to learn how to get his will drawn up. He VERBALLY told me that "all that junk back there will go to you. She (his wife) won't want any of it". Guess what? She did.

Since he had so much stuff, he apparently never wrote it down or even talked to her about his wishes so after he passed, she was next in line and sold almost everything. I did get some stuff, (some "gifted", some I had to pay for), but dammit, I wanted it all to do what I know my father wanted done with it.

I'm certain he would have wanted my sister to have something, but since she wasn't into cars and was passive about it all, she got JACK SQUAT! My step-mom even ended up with a portion of farmland in my family for over a century (not to mention his pension, the house and property, life insurance, his automotive and music collectibles), despite being around for a little over 10 years. I'm sure it's sold by now. That burns me more than the cars.

Bottom line, write it down in a will. Discuss it with your heirs. Let them know what it is worth and what it will take to unload it if they don't want to keep it. Don't rely upon your "friends" (my dad had these as well) to fill them in. My sister sure could use some of the money my step-mom horked from the sale of my father's life-time collection of "junk".

5. Well I hope that time is a long ways off! Right now I've got two hot rods and four kids. My goal is to have one car per kid so when I kick, they all have a piece of the old man to remember me by. Hopefully they dont sell them for a stupid reason , but I guess by that time, it wont matter. WEll I guess I had better start buildin . See ya , Mike

6. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Please give her my name.

Mike

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I don't have anything of real value, but my Dad recently made up a will to document where he would like his hot rods to go after he does.

8. Bottom line:GET A WILL DRAWN UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can always amend it later on if you wish to.As an aside:if the elections result in a change of power in Washington,be prepared to see the so-called,"death tax" revived.That means you(your heirs actually)will pay even more from the estate.Of course that means NOTHING to the one who is dead.

Seriously;if you have anything of value(and you would be surprised how much),it should be well documented as to description and current value.Likely as not the value will increase which is why you need to do periodic reviews.

Awhile back I was faced with the possibility that I might not be around too much longer.My wife and I had already had wills drawn up,but I went one step further.I contacted several friends who shared my collecting desires and had an agreement drawn up and notarized as to how related parts of my estate were to be disposed of.One was to take care of my cars and tools;another my rather extensive knife and gun collection,and a third my collection of art works.Hopefully they will still be alive to execute these duties when I pass.

I trust these people to do this to the fullest benefit of my wife and children.

Age really isn't a determining factor in whether to make a will or not.Death is NOT a programmable factor;it can happen ANYTIME! GET A WILL MADE SOON!!!!!

9. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I have a son-in-law and he loves old cars and Harleys. My instructions to him are: "You get my car and if my grandson ever shows an interest in it he gets it when he is old enough. If he doesn't show i nterest my son-in-law can do what he wants with it. I believe giving a specialty car to a kid who has no appreciation for or ability to maintain it is the wrong thing to do. As much as I love the kid he doesn't deserve it if he is not into it.

Soon after restoring it and rebuilding the motor, my neighbor down the street died and left his 68 big-block, four-speed Mustang fastback to his Doctorate in Math whizkid. It has been at his sister's house out in the weather with nothing but a tarp on it and jacked up on blocks for 10 years now.

10. I don't have anything that's worth anything, if you believe half the people on this board. On the bright side, I also have no wife and no kids to worry about either. I suppose if I get any of those things I'll worry about a will. But it sure is easy to do, I hear Glenn Beck talk about this Legalzoom.com all the time on his radio show (they're an advertiser) that is supposed to make it simple and easy so you don't even need a lawyer -

11. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Damm.. there goes that idea!
    Pontiac Slim

12. A stinky dead fish, at that.

13. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

My wife said, whenI die I'm not going anywhere till I clean out all my junk. Can you beleave that, she thinks I have junk.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Everything goes to my wife when I'm gone. I already told my son that if he wants the '32 5w it's his (now that I've got two of them he can choose which one). I've got some good friends (that I trust) who will be available to help my wife if she needs assistance in disposing of whats left. There IS a will with specific instructions to see the whole affair goes according to my wishes.

Frank

15. kopis

kopis

Who cares, i'll be dead then.

16. I'm still trying to work on that 2 wife thing,,,,I love Ouidasue and I know the Queen of Visa does too,,,and a couple more 32's would not hurt my feelings,,,,

But crossing the state lines would put me in the grave also!:eek::D:rolleyes:HRP

17. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

No she won't! I'm a hell of a shot and own more guns then most guys.:D

I've got a will drawn up. In it, I've left all of my belongings**cars, tools, boxes, silver, heirlooms, tractors** to a friend in Australia. My will stipulates that he is executioner of my property and that once any future children of mine become a certain age, that they will be given either part of the property or cash value.
    He doesn't know it, but when I'm dead, he certainly will. :p It's my fear of my family *divorced parents* fighting over my stuff and his willingness to ALWAYS be there for me, that made him an instant lotto winner.
    I'm not married, but if I ever do, a prenup will most certainly be implemented.

It's all legal mumbo jumbo but you guys get the jist of it.:D

18. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

everybody needs a will.
    i have one that i update yearly,but it does not cover all the tools,cars and all of the stuff i trade for and buy between updates,i take my daughter and show her all my real estate so she knows where all of its located.
    she gets it all,but she don't get any cash until shes 55,except to maintain the place and maybe put the grandkids through school.

if you have lots of stuff and die without a will your family and friends will hate you,it gets ugly fast.

19. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Don't need a will. my kids(2 boys) have already gotten everything. They say they are borrowing it but never bring anything back. One always helps me with "OUR" cars. I am chopping a 53 chevy post car now the way he wants it chopped.LOL I don't care though. We are together and having a good time. I just want them to remember me as not only their dad but as their best friend!

20. DirtyTace

DirtyTace

Daddy?

21. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

ill let my family worry bout that

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

When I die, my wife gets everything, its 1/2 hers already anyway. We have 2 kids, my son is involved with cars and has one of his own and the ability to work on them and my daughter likes cars as well but doesn't work on them, but her brother helps her out. We are a close family, things will work out OK. Hopefully nothing will have to be done in a rush when I die and they will be able to work everything out without being under pressure. I hope I have that part under control. Gene

23. ratster

ratster

I don't care though. We are together and having a good time. I just want them to remember me as not only their dad but as their best friend!

AMEN Brother!!

my son Josh chopping his coupe, 5 years ago when he was 17.........

Attached Files:

24. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Well,a local builder in newyork named charlie dugen wanted to be creamated and the ashes put in the bondo of his merc.Somewhere is a merc with charlie in it! True story!!!!!

25. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

i tell my wife and dog i love them every day and before hot laps .i have a book with ebay details for all 7500 collector toys and my cars, and all cars that are apart , my parts are taged for each car and aprox value . i have lost many friends to health and racing its always ugly for the folks left behind to clean up the mess. i rest easy

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I told my friend he could have my A sedan body, and my dad can have the '40 if he's still around, 'cause he helped build it...I've still got an A coupe and a '59 wagon that need to be fought over....and all my flathead stuff will go with me! I need something to keep me on the bottom of the lake when I have my extravagant "burial at sea party"...

27. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

with my wonderful wifes blessing, cars, tools, and parts, it all goes to my car club buddies.

28. I hear that the Beaters have a contract out on you now.

29. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

when I kick, I'm getting a pearl flamed casket...the wife digs it...

If I kick before my boy is of age then my pop gets all the iron to care for till he's old enough...seeing as he dont need the $ I'm not worried about the return to my son (though it is documented and discussed) Alot of it will be sold off to send the kid(s) through college/life etc but the important stuff stays in the fam...

30. Damn Brother!