Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you doing with your car stuff when you die?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconwagon62, Jan 6, 2008.

1. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Ever given it any thought....My gal would want my convertible, but what about the othe 4 or 5 cars?? the lift, all of my tools, signs, gas pump, tools, toys all the crap us guys collect??? I lost my best freind this summer, he gave his hot rod to his brother, and he is up there and we'll be lucky if the car is taken out 1 or 2 time a year...God Bless him, his brother did take care of Ed, but I hate seeing his car just sit... What are you doing? Has your love of your life have a CLUE what your shit is worth??? Some guys tell the old lady they paid 5 grand for a steel 32, but the really paid 50 grand....I am not getting any younger don't think you are either........John

Attached Files:

2. The Shocker

The Shocker

I doubt i will ever die ,but if i do im taking it with me...

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not going to do anything with any of my stuff after I die. My relatives will do it....I hope they have fun.....

but I know what you mean, a friend died a couple years ago and 3 of his cars are still sitting.

4. i am only 35 years old but sometimes i winder the same ,i think i would leave all to my girl, what shes dont like is free for my friends

5. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey...
    Boy thats a GOOD question! I've been think'n about that for the last 3 years. Two kids, one finished hot rod, two garages full of "stuff". One full of nosalgia "stuff".
    A friend who is/was a car guy passed a couple of years ago.. Wife didn't know, contents of garage to the dump....
    Pontiac Slim

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well Im sure my Duaughter will lay claim to it, and thats just fine with me.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, at the very least we should put a few notes on some of our junk that say "this is valuable"

8. Ole don

Ole don

A guy can have ideas, but if they are not written down legal like, it may not matter. The way the economy is now, its all just junk anyway.

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

Would you like to adopt me ? Im just a real big kid ,so i have been told ,Dad...

10. Corvette64

Corvette64

Thanks for bringing this up because the ole lady and myself are having a will drawn up and this same thing came up. I've got tons of automotive tools, cars, and car shit, not to mention woodworking tools. My kids don't want anything to do with any of it. My daughter (age 24) and son (age 20) have never shown any interest in driving, riding or inheriting the corvette, and as is generally the case, want nothing to do with any of the old mans hobbies.
    My wife asked my daughter if she wanted the vette and she said "give it all to someone else. i don't want it". So right now I don't know what we're going to do with it all. I have a motorhead bro-in-law that would probably shit himself over it if he don't die before I do.

11. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I reckon the bill collectors will be fighting over my carp...

12. Dirty2

Dirty2

Dirty31 is getting my stuff and helping my DirtyPrincess with it !!!

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

Hopefully you have honest and close hot rod friends that will help the family do the right thing. For some it may mean keep the car or cars in the family, and for others it may mean sell everything off. The best plan would be to leave detailed instructions in a "Will". No one should know more than you what needs to happen to your stuff.

chuck

14. grouchy

grouchy

Don't care......I'm dead

15. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Most likey my wife will sell it all move into the big buck$ house and find a 20 year old

16. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

In Ohio you are only allowed to pass 3 cars to your wife FREE and clear...otherwise...TAXES.....better check, My girlfreinds cars were ALL in her Husbands name when he died...BIG PROBLEM....VETTE, NOVA, TRUCKS, CAMPER, Trailer....and Uncle Sam wants his cut.....

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Seriously ,i have instructed my wife to give my cars and other junk to someone who will appreciate it ,thats right free.I would rather the right guy have it than the wrong guy buy it.My daughter who is 13 now hates old cars and my wife has no use for them ...

18. im gettin buried in mine and sell whats left before i croak if at all possible spend it all on strippers and booze and let the relatives get their own shit ..

19. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

My wife will sell it all on the HAMB.

20. bobw

bobw

I convinced my wife I should build a hot rod to leave to each of the grandkids. 7 grandkids and 7 hot rods so far. Everything really goes to my wife though. I have friends who know values and they will help her sell if that is what happens. If she goes first, I'll enjoy the stuff as long as I can. When you're in a nursing home drooling in your lap and crapping in your pants you probably don't care what happens to your junk. So. I'll sell it and give it away before that happens. BTW, I'm 66 so I have thought about this quite a bit.

21. ratster

ratster

i was going to leave all my hotrod stuff to my son but since he died 7 weeks ago i'll have to leave it to my grandson who is 8 months old and the rest of my stuff can go to my daughter since my wife died 6 years ago. i'm only 43 and have to get a new will made , my parents are almost 80 and they still don't have one.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Mrs Bluto gets it all........ and now that we are outta So Cal we don't have to worry about Condors......... circling

I'm busy teaching her to keep all this crap running so she doesn't have to marry another mechanic :)

A So Cal buddy just died ....... his wife is going crazy. It's not good to watch......... over the years I have watched too many friends die and leave their loved ones to figure it out..... never pretty and honestly pretty f'n self centered.

My wife love this stuff. She can close the door here and not worry about it

23. Spud

Spud
    from Ohio

You can have a laywer do a transfer at death order. I have been told, when you die it gets transfered no charge.

24. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

You rich?
    Pontiac Slim

25. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Hey Spud,
    In OHIO there is a LIMIT...it WAS done by a lawyer....Just did it 3 years ago....

26. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

I think the best way to handle it would be to tell them to have a Professional Estate Sale not just a garage sale. Advertise the heck out of it and your loved ones will at least walk away with fair market value for your stuff. :cool:

Other wise the confusion/ burden of your death will overwhelm them and it will end up in the dump or disappear.:(

27. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Unfortunately, it'll probably end up..."What's these? They look like some ole rusty wheels with bald tires on them"...(Halibrands with slicks)..."Take them to the dump.... What about this. looks like something for a car, it has wires on it." (Vertex mag for a flathead)..."Throw it out too...All of these old transmissions?" (Top loader's for flatheads) "Take them to the dump....What about dad's grey hot rod, and the black convertable?" (32 five window, and 29 roadster) "Oh, lets put them in the paper and someone will probably buy them"..On and on...

Accumulating all of this stuff over the years has been fun, and now I'm probably hoarding it. so someone will probably end up with a "Barn Find" from that crazy ole S.O.B down at the end of the street.

Seriously, I gave my daughter instructions to sell everything, so there's no arguments of what to do with the stuff, and who gets what. And yep I've made out a will, and all the titles are all ready signed, but put away in a safe place, for when the time comes.

I've got one daughter coming on about getting interested in the hot rods, as a matter of fact will be giving her driving lessons in the "HellRaiser" later this spring, so she can drive it this summer. But the cars are not really something that I could pass on to her, and she'd doesn't have a place to store them or work on them. They just aren't her bag. Grandaughters are more interested in 4 legged horses, so they're out.

I did sit down one day, and told my daughters what was to be done with things, (Value of everything???) Where my important papers were, where the titles were, where my will was. It's all done..

I just went through much of this same situation this fall when my mother died. She had my sisters and I together, and around the table she told us where things were, who was to get what, where the valuable papers where, I.E. made her wishes known before she died. The nice part was, in her will, it stated, if there was any arguments or bickering, then the Executor (Me) was to dispose of everything as I saw fit.

"And when I'm dead, and when I'm gone, there'll be one less child to carry on, carry on"

HellRaiser

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is it a valuable carp?

29. 55 f350

55 f350

well after they cart my dumbazz to the hole in the ground in my 53 and follow me in the 49 , im sure there will be a great " discussion " twixt my two sons and sonsin law's and my wife about it and the three daughters will want in im sure . i'll just leave it all to the grand kids and t-'em all off hee hee :)

30. tomslik

tomslik

they're gonna be fighting over a fish!?!?!

anyway, i THINK my wife is smart enough to grab one of my friends when the time comes to sell....