Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

2. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You guys will have to let me know the Dino date, If I can get my crap together and get it started I may bring it down. If not and you don't mind I may just drive down for the day and try to learn something. If nothing else at least it looks pretty good.
    11037776_10202723939778661_2131132954197481648_n.jpg

Tickety Boo and enloe like this.
  3. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

looks good to me !! looks like you're ready !!
    do ya have boost reference power valves in there? if not we can do it when you're here, no biggie. oh, if you come, you gotta bring your junk.. : )
    stay tuned on the date... have a couple of nibbles...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. 2 things I see. Flip the valve covers so the breathers are on the top (if they'll clear to blower), less oil up there, & go back and get the bigger oil pan! :)

30dodgeboy likes this.
  5. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

They are old carbs I boost referenced, from reading on the net. I had them replated and put them back together. They probably wont run at least at first . The breathers wont fit the other way ( I did block one off and have that cover running to a pcv valve) I did a lot of things I have never done before so I am expecting the worse

6. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

cool, boost ref. and i have notes of other engines similar to that, we can get the jets close on start -up.
    then there is the transition circuit.. no biggie, takes about 14 beers to get em' right.,maybe 15.
    and we'll maybe have some fun too !!

30dodgeboy and Tickety Boo like this.
  7. Steve in action - note beer in hand - thanks again Steve!
    10452327_729951393713222_193945013707551511_n.jpg

Dog_Patch and saltflats like this.
  8. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

fucking cool.

what about this one ???

385658_417220961658274_660071213_n.jpg

9. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

funny thing about this picture.. you got a 20.00 guy, working on a 20,000 dragster,wearing a 40.00 shirt.
    sweet.. wouldn't trade that moment for a winning lotto ticket,that's a fact.

30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Steve

Have you ever done a Dino test on an engine with a old school 2x4 blower scoop?
    Scoop on, then off, to see if power changes?
    Screen in , then out, I wonder what the air flow is especially with the two tiny air filters on.:eek:

Norb

11. 55chieftain

55chieftain

What these weren't good enough LOL. I brought my own anyway, but this was just a good primer.
    [​IMG]

Okiedoker, Tickety Boo and 30dodgeboy like this.
  12. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

seems that there isn't enough room in the hilborn looking scoop, for an air filter that flows enough.
    ...The supplied filters, if you use K&N that size, will flow enough air for street driving around town, etc.
    but if you're gonna run it hard, then it will go dead rich,due to not enough air flow, (it's like having your choke closed partially)and lose a ton of power... like, a ton.
    so we usually make some straps to hold scoop on without air filters for racin' , then put filters back on for street driving.
    the screen(without the supplied foam) isn't great either. except there is usually space between the carb adaptors to let some air in..
    no screen, please,, they are not good.
    the only filter i know of that will work on a blown engine,that makes any power is one of those pull truck looking things..
    so in a nut shell, yes ,they kill a bunch of power. how much depends on how much you are turning blower,and engine air flow.etc.. but it kills power ,for sure.
    hope that helps ..:p

Tickety Boo likes this.
  13. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Thanks Steve

Cruising Judds photos of 2014 meltdown saw some running the filters, (Maybe they could free up some H.P.) with out filters?
    I picked up a 2x4 manifold and long scoop at last years Jefferson swap meet, but think I will keep my single carb. with 14"x5" tall K&N. :) (got to keep them fords behind me)

Norb

14. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

roger that..
    if you're just at the track goofing off, who cares?
    but yes, BUNCH of power on the table with air filters. if your combination moves a bunch of air.
    couldn't come up with a filter for my coupe that looked right.. so i just don't run one. I have a screen, under the injector hat, for rocks june bugs, and stuff.. . yeah, i know bummer, but keep out of dust ,best i can,and stay tuned !!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't run a filter on my single carb set up I made a pan out of a old road sign and cut some foam out of a seat then jacked up the back of my hood for a poor mans cowl induction.
    Hey Tricky what do you have for engine hookup or should I sy what kind of engine's can you hook up to your dyno?

16. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

we have about anything for an american engine. 4 cyl/6 cyl./v-8. olds,chevy,pontiac,mopar,ford(all kinds) and who knows what else..
    we also have a drive plate that bolts to a stick shift flywheel,that is very handy and very universal.
    and the dyno has several bolt patterns, so basically any stick shift bellhousing will do..
    and we have a pile of bellhousings too.we've done some weird stuff too, like a laid over 4 cylinder engine,(45 degrees) injected dry sump, badass 16 cubic inches.. cool stuff..
    the part of the dyno that it bolts to, looks like a manual transmission. and has several bolt configurations.

17. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

what the heck does it look like?
    where does it go??? inside? out front?
    wtf ??? frontal area of a hilborn scoop ,as cool as they are.. doesn't allow enough room for an effective filter.

18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

ha-ha!! i am captain technically challenged.. i have zero, or less idea how to make phones do stuff.
    e mail = [email protected]

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's kool I will see what kind of ammo I can round up.

21. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

roger that.
    maybe get with wrenchbender , and rawcjw19, and make a plan !!
    and we really need racer X here for tuning help.

22. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Wow ,that filter is very nice.
    i have never seen one, and did not know they existed ! So no, I've never tested one of those (yet)>the filters i have tested (on super charged engines)were the ones 6"X 2" K&N that come in the hilborn style scoop, or the one the with the flat screen and foam in front(YUK) .. they kill big power,and make the thing go dead rich.. but ,again ,that would all depend on how hard you're turning the blower , maybe if you're 20% under driven on a 350, might not make a difference.. except at W.O.T. :p
    we've had pretty good success on a mild combination, by replacing the 2" tall paper filters(that come with the scoop) with some 6"X 3" K&N filters, that makes a huge difference.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  23. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

ha-ha!!
    no way, it's full of crap in there..
    fuel rails,methanol injection ,and 10 injectors,and air temp sender.. really busy in there !!!
    thanks a bunch though !!!

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Steve, I assume the same thing would with power loss on a dual quad high rise with a hilborn scoop on the top?

25. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

the filter racer x has is whammy jammy looking thing.. ,I have never seen one like it,
    that looks like it would flow enough for a tunnel ram, for sure! still looks like the sides,and rear are shrouded, but he says it doesn't effect power.. so there ya go,and he ran the thing on a dyno with the filter.
    Naturally aspirated engines don't require near the air flow a super charged engine does. The paper 6"x 2" filters that usually come with the hilborn looking scoop, yeah, they restrict flow, for sure.. again, how much it kills your power, depends on the air flow demand you engine has.such as>>. cylinder head flow/camshaft/headers/cubic inches/compression ratio/ RPMS.
    had pretty good luck on dual quad stuff, with the 9"X 5" K&N filters. or in the hilborn scoop, we replace the paper filters, with K&N filters that are as tall as will fit in the scoop. (3"?)they seem to be good enough,for sure.
    they don't seem to effect the power on a dual quad ,naturally aspirated engine. But they (9")don't fit in side a hilborn scoop, so i did not try those on a blower engine yet..
    stay tuned !!
    hope that helps !! just been what I've tested so far...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  26. This info comes at a great time as I just broke in my blower motor last Tuesday.

I also would only run the front screen on my tunnel ram at the track but used the paper elements on the street. Looking for something free flowing the blower though.

BigDrag, 9sectruck and Finn Jensen like this.
  27. Sometimes it's so dry and dusty when you light them off its a freaking dust storm. Dead grass and crap blowing around..lol

28. What's your guys take on pump gas and blower pulleys ? I'm putting my engine on a dyno in a couple weeks and wondering.
    I broke it in with a - 16.9 combo but have a - 4.7 combo too. Just wondering if that - 4.7 combo is too much for pump gas ?
    I don't want to be on the ragged edge of detonation but also wluld like the engine to see it's full rpm range.

29. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Just dropped off my engine at the machine shop. I need more power for this years Meltdown. Time to change a few things.

30. Putting it on the dyno is going to tell me a lot of the unknowns and boost retard is on it's way. I was thinking of buying another pulley before dyno run and I know there's not a magic formula that covers all engines. Was just curious how much boost someone has run on 93 octane. This thing is built pretty stout, tired of blowing up engines..ha ha