Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. On bulbous front ended cars like ours the air hits the front of the hood, and goes way over the hood hitting the upper portion of the windshield and packing up at the bottom. The sharp guys like our dad and Gene Cromer knew this and ran the scoop opening to the back to get some of that yummy high pressure air. Joe Amato, the ex Top Fuel champ ran a BB/GS 40 Chevy and ran his 4 Port Hilborn scoop backwards. A forward facing scoop 3-4" off the hood line and back from the leading edge on cars like ours, is just along for the ride. Why do you think the factory put the foot vent air source at the base of the wind shield on these old cars.

2. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yah I was a serious kill-joy that Friday night. I was fighting the demon fuel pressure problem, new carb problems and then what we thought was a bad starter that turned out to be a broken charging cable. It didn't help that the group I was with decided they were tired and wanted to leave before I could unwind and socialize a bit. Saturday and Sunday I just said - it is what it is - and had a lot more fun. This year I'm not messing with the core combination like I have the last few years. I am throwing more $$$ at the fuel system but this time it's more like I'm dropping a large hammer on the demon rather than softly tapping and hoping it's fixed. Hopefully I'll have a few less rain outs so I can sort it all out and run hard this year.']

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well Scott you are close it ran just under 11 sec but that was the one time all the planets were aligned lol but since then there has been broken axles, a tore up transmission, exploded clutch and various other things so I have detuned it a skosh until I can save some more pennies to get a better clutch and Trans. I guess I'm gonna have to sneak into the pannenton camp while they are away and scrape up their extra clutch and Trans parts lol. so back to the 12's it is I guess I can run with you and the hokey poker lol. I like the truck much more when it's really tuned up but I just can't afford it plus I have a dragster I wanna run too and I've started on another af/x car actually drug it home today too many projects not enough time and money

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

You gotta tell us more about that A/FX car!!!!

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

5. bigslim55

bigslim55

Well here's today's progress! Was nice out, think it may of hit upper 30's! Got the M/T Crossram off & Wieand Tunnel Ram, Carbs & linkage on her... And just as I thought carbs do touch hood with it almost shut... Maybe I can get away with milling carb spacers down to 1/2" or change out motor mounts? Team Z has solid fox body motor mounts that are suppose to drop motor 3/4", also heard energy suspension motor mounts are suppose to drop 3/4" too so that may be an option too???
    Jim... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422150381.432139.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422150407.054847.jpg

6. It sure looks racey!

7. I'm gonna get an old Saginaw, and write Jerico on it with a crayon to throw you off.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    55belairx2, powrshftr and 30dodgeboy like this.
  8. bigslim55

bigslim55

Thanks RIC, I wasn't sure how I'd like it on there, I liked how the M/T crossram looked on it. You were right, that Weiand Tunnel Ram looks BAD ASS on there!!! I'm sold! If anything it does look racey! Really looking forward to seeing how it pulls now!!!
    Jim

9. That's some funny chit right there!

55belairx2 likes this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Haha don't laugh that's the only Trans I haven't broken yet first was a super t-10 then a m-22 munchy so back to the Saginaw it is lol those Jericho Trans are pretty pricey sad part is for what I've already spent I could have bought one live and learn I guess

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well Scott how's about a 63 dart with a 440 4-speed a-100 straight axle moved forward 6" and the rear forward. 12" probly gonna go with a 9" rear axle cause finding a 8 3/4 for an a body is like a needle in a haystack around here then if you do find one it will cost as much as a new. 9" lol I actually had built one about 5 years ago then sold it to someone who needed it worse than his pile o hundred dollar bills plus it financed several things like a house and a Willys pickup and started a dragster Here is a pic of the one I sold and the new one will be very similar

[​IMG]

30dodgeboy, powrshftr and fast30coupe like this.
  12. bigslim55

bigslim55

Saltflats, I've been wondering where or who you bought the Shear plates from? Jim...

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got these in a box of stuff at a auction. Really not sure who mad them.

14. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Are you looking for a hotel during the Meltdown Drags? Our friends at Marriott have created a special link to get a great rate at the Fairfield Inn in Rockford. This is a new and CLEAN hotel in an area with restaurants and shopping. It is also very well lit, so a great spot for this driving their hot rods to and from. Please use the following link and when the rooms are gone, they are gone...sorry!

http://cwp.marriott.com/rfdrf/meltdowndrags

I think that Scott may have stayed at this hotel last year...so you may have to get over that...

saltflats likes this.
  15. 62Furious

62Furious

Had a great weekend pulled motor a time to make spindle mounts work. Cut them out of a car 15 years ago. trying to get rid of some vibration, may be come a fairly smooth ride. Solid motor mounts beat you up on long rides

Attached Files:

30dodgeboy likes this.
  16. bigslim55

bigslim55

Scott,
    I thought you'd forgotten about linkage & I didn't want to pester or bother you about linkage... The guy that did fuel lines wanted the linkage on it. To be sure lines wouldn't touch linkage. So I ordered it up... No biggie...
    Jim...

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Aaaah crap:(

Sorry Buddy.You know you're never pestering or bugging me.I get pretty busy around here sometimes,but if there's anything I can do to help out,consider me in!:)

Scott

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think we were at the Comfort Inn Jeff......So no De-Lousing will be required for those staying at the Marriott:D

Scott

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Man,I'm a bit jealous of all the real estate you Mopar guys have to work with under the hood.....I did a few days worth of hacking and slashing in sub zero temps just to get close to what you've got there in stock form.

No wonder so many 60's Fords ended up with straight axles under them!

Scott

30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks again James!:)

They showed up on Friday,but I haven't had a chance to get to my shipping place during business hours to pick them up yet.

Scott

21. bigslim55

bigslim55

Scott,
    I was wondering who made them shear plates? I looked in Jegs & Summit, didn't see anything that remotely resembles what Saltflats had in the pic!?!
    I just checked out H/M's website looking at their valve covers, which ones did you get? They had competition & reg SBF valve covers?
    Jim...

22. Scott, I can hook you up! LOL...

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott you should be jealous of all the MOPOWER we get to play with.

bigslim or can I call you Jim maybe you can get Scott to get you some detailed pics of those plates when he gets his mitts on them. They don't look that hard to make and if you had access to a flow bench you could really dial them in.
    Guess I should have sold them to the highest bidder.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

I might have to clone them when I get my hands on them,and start mailing them out to the Boys...lol

Scott

25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Great idea Scott...I will need the extra HP until August though, so you can take your time with mine :)

powrshftr likes this.
  26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jeff:
    For your combo I would pass on the shear plates,and go with something more like that sheet metal cover that Garlits used to run above the Strombergs on Swamprat 1.
    Because.......

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

That vortex coming off the back of the Shaker going by you is going to pull all the fuel out of the carbs....
    While you're at it,maybe add some straps across the windshield and headlights too,and a few extra layers of clear,so I don't pull the paint off the front of that thing when I shoot past you.
    Also,please share your GoPro footage,so I can get a look at that sweet little heinie as it goes around you like you're tied to a tree:D

Scott

bigslim55 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  28. Jeff, I could UPS overnight some burn creme if you need, or you could go outside and sit in the snow for a bit?

30dodgeboy, beebee78 and powrshftr like this.
  29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Some fancy book learnin right there.:)