Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

2. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

That tunnel ram is going to be sweet on that FORD, if you need clearance help I'm always willing to help cut something up!! Just picked up a T-ram for my baby MOPAR, see if I can wake this pooch up.

3. bigslim55

bigslim55

I'll keep that in mind Ron or Bugsy! Good to hear from you! Yes you gotta get the MOPAR out to the Meltdown!
    Here's a couple pics of intake runners. Before & after... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421894041.082171.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421894065.523303.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421894094.499876.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421894149.482948.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30dodgeboy likes this.
  4. bigslim55

bigslim55

RIC, I hope it's happier with the tunnel ram! Plus getting rid of 3 - 90 degree bends in the fuel line should help too... Jim...

5. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

You guys are making me wish I had a gasser :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. Borrow one of Joes, and get in on the fray! :)

Toymaker likes this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Rocky why would you want a gasser when you get the privledge of throttling the evil twin lol. Tell you what I'll trade a run in my Willys for a run in the twin lol

loudbang, Toymaker and 30dodgeboy like this.
  8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I know I know....... I'll set my sights on AJ and Paul! :D

30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. bigslim55

bigslim55

Hum that quote didn't print out well! Basically, looks like I'm going to have hood clearance issues running the tunnel ram. And finding a glass hood for 55' is nearly impossible, I thought maybe I could figure out how to make or pull a mold of my hood? Then put T-Bolt tear drop hood scoop on it.
    I've found a pic on the HAMB of 55' with a cool looking scoop, or found this scoop in Speedway catalog...
    I'm not ready to cut up hood yet tho... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421929304.291034.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421929318.325510.jpg

30dodgeboy likes this.
  10. 55chieftain

55chieftain

One of the guys in my gasser group said instead of making a buck, they would do 2 layers on top of the hood, pop it off and do a few more layers on the underside , finish and done. Just slightly oversize. I thing a gallon of resin is about $100 so it's an expensive learning procedure. I've been wanting to do a front end for mine as well.

11. Wow that's cool! What am I looking at? Did you cut the pan open, then add the scraper and weld the pan back together?

12. Those pics were from the construction of the oil pan version 2. Version 1 was a shortened pan which would have never worked. Then I went to oil pan school, LOL, where a veteran racer taught me what the requirements were for it to survive. First I made the windage tray which attaches to the #2 and #4 main caps as it needs to be kept in close relation to the rotating assembly. It has many "louvers" to catch the oil and direct it back to the pan.
    MVC-560S.JPG

Then the pan was constructed - maximizing its oil capacity with the chassis, engine placement, and pavement limitations... The pan does have a counterweight scraper built into its right side to direct the oil into an angled kickout. You can see it is the strip tacked to the vertical side of the pan. We also modified the #5 cap to accept a 392 pump since it is shorter, allowing the floor of the pan to be raised up. I don't have any pics of the final oil pan (version 3 with skid plate) as it was barely done in time for the 2014 Meltdown Drags. I can take better pics if needed.

Are you looking to buy or build what you need?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    saltflats and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. I have more than $331 of time into mine ;) But constructing a gasser pan is easier than a digger pan!

14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That's the gospel right there boys I am in that process right now on my digger thanks for the insight 30dodgeboy the biggest problem I have is the limited amount of room between the engine and the ground

15. Yes excellent pics!
    To be honest I never heard of a crank scraper until Ric mentioned it so I called these guys to order one not knowing what the hell it was anyway. http://www.crank-scrapers.com/ We talked a long time on the phone, I gave him my credit card, he asked for a pic of the Dodge which I sent and that's where it ended several months back. I left a message today on his machine. He never charged me so maybe he lost track :confused:? I need to adjust the pickup height based on running one or not. I have the big Milodon pan already and it has a baffle - also have the TR Waters girdle so it tight in there already.

16. Yeah, that is the same challenge I had since my engine is mounted low in the chassis and to make matters worse its got 5.5 degrees of dump too! I think it looks cool that way and the low center of gravity helps against wheelstands. But the pavement...

I'll try to get some Oil Pan 3.0 pics to share...

17. After completing "oil pan school," I studied their website as well as a few others, like www.cantonracingproducts.com for example. Then I decided to make my own since the money tree was practically cut down to the stump at that point...

Keep in mind that the 331/354 stroke is shorter than the 392, and rods & bolts are a factor, so the scraper will be different between them all. Another reason to make your own since YOU have the combination of parts you are going to run.

18. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

30dodgeboy likes this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

MAN I WISH I HAD THE MONEY TO BUILD A "GASSER" TO COME RACE WITH YOU GUYS THIS YEAR. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO KEEP COLLECTING PARTS AND MAYBE NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR :)

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just showing my ignorance but is the dist in the rear on these early hemi's

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

enloe I don't have a gasser but I am going to have a gas.

22. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Enloe, I went last year as a spectator and had the best time ever, helped to crew on Rockys Evil Twin and got a passenger ride down the strip in Erics '55.
    The Meltdown crew are a terrific bunch of guys and treated me like an old friend even though I'd never met any of them before.
    If you and your son are able to make the trip you won't regret it for a single minute.

Ray

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

WE ARE HOPING TO COME UP AND HANG OUT

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That is the boat I am usually in...

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are you going to make the trip this year?

26. Yes the distributor is on the back. I use a 340 Mopar dizzy with the shaft modified.

Enloe - all us Georgia boys are going, you should roll with us.

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I MAY TRY TO LOAD UP A TRUCKLOAD OF OLD MAGAZINES IF THE MELTDOWN GUYS WILL LET ME AND TRY TO SELL SOME TO PUT IN THE PARTS BUYING FUND.

II FUNNY likes this.
  28. 9sectruck

9sectruck

As much as I'd love to it's probably not gonna happen, my wifes got a BIG birthday that week and it's my 40th Wedding Anniversary so if I want to celebrate 41 years of marriage next year then I'd probably be best advised to stay home...............never say never though:eek:

BigDrag and II FUNNY like this.
  29. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

We swapped last year and did very well. Nice steady crowd and they were buying.