Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are the biggest/most important national Hot Rod shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SaltCityCustoms, Dec 28, 2016.

1. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I'm wondering what people think are the most influential or important Hot rod shows in the U.S., I don't mean the local shows because we all have our favorites but I mean more like a "bucket list" of car shows.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Grand National Roadster Show in Jan. in Pomona is a good one along with the Iconic LA Roadster Show on Fathers day. Speed Week at Bonneville, not a show only but on most bucket lists. Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green Kt. Goodguys Nats in Pleasenton. Dirt drags and Colorado Hill Climb. There's so many great events it's hard to settle on 1 or2.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Flathead Dave and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I agree with krylon, the GNRS and the LA Roadster show are definitely must do's . Bonneville is another must do. If you like drag racing then the CHRR in Bakersfield should be on your list.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

The NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green KY is non stop nostalgia drag racing. Spectators sit in chairs in a covered seating area just steps from the track. Does any other drag strips have covered seating? No bleachers like most places. If I could only go to one event next year this is the one I'd choose. I'm not that interested in all show and no go events.

Gary

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

You asked for car "shows", NOT for races or reunions, so I'd have to go with the GNRS.

6. With all due deference to the truly major shows you guys have already mentioned, sometimes the smaller shows are more influential. The Jalopyrama in Maryland in October, the Jalopy Showdown @ Latimore Valley Fairgrounds, Pa. in May and the Jalopy Showdown Drags, also in Pa. And don't forget TROG and TROG West. These and other traditional events around the country like the Lonestar Round-up and various others seem to have a finger on the pulse of this genre of hot-rodding that we all love. JMHO.:D

oj, Ron Funkhouser, Mikel50 and 2 others like this.
  7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Couldn't agree more, provided NHRA doesn't screw it up like they did in CA!
    KK

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been to the CHRR over a dozen times and considering the cluster f#@& this year, the BG event is getting more attractive, not that I haven't considered it.
    I always thought the Beech Bend facilities would be a great place to attend a drag race, if for no other reason than those storied covered grandstands considering they are a dying breed, so to speak.
    Around 1984 while in Bowling Green visiting the Corvette assembly plant I drove down into the BB facilities just hoping I could see those grandstands, nothing going on, but I got a look at least.

9. When I lived back in NJ my favorite show to attend was the Lake George Adirondack Nationals every September!

10. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Detroit Autorama in February (especially the basement). Must see.

VR&C.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 40Vert

40Vert

LA Roadster Show
    GNRS
    Lone Star Round-up
    Detroit Autorama
    Bonneville
    MSRA Back to the 50's
    NSRA Street Rod Nationals
    Hershey Swap Meet (not a car show, but a bucket list car event).

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I may be a anomaly but I'm just not interested in big shows anymore.
    Too many people,too crowded.Too expensive.
    I don't even spend much time at Back to the Fifties in Minnesota even though it's 12,000 cars and a 1/2 hour from home.Don't think I've spent 5 hours total there in the last 2 years.
    Rather hit a small show with like minded individuals or spend time in disappearing old time junkyards.

13. Frog Follies in Evansville Indiana the last of August. '48 and earlier, usually around 4,000 of them. Inexpensive, nice grounds and one of the best swap meets there is.

lothiandon1940 and 283john like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back to the 50's. Minniapolis MN. Is the best Big Show IMO, Louisville KY. NSRA Street Rod Nationals, everyone should attend 1X IMO. There are many good shows around country, have attended many many shows. Here in Wi. We have 2 HAMB type shows, Symco at Oshkosh airport or unionville car show (symco group split). I don't have any on my bucket list, but every summer I attend some different show's for the fun of new venue's and enjoy the travel part (cruise) the journey/friends/adventure is a big part for me.

15. I have been building hot rods for many year and logged thousands of miles traveling to and from the big shows and bigger is not necessarily better.

I'm thinking about some of the smaller venues with more emphasis on driving/racing your car. HRP

16. 2 me it's not about the destination, it's about the journey gettin there and back with like minded friends.Usually log over 5/6000 miles a year just long haulin. Add another 12/2000 for local stuff.

17. When I was younger and the phenomenon of big shows with hundreds of hot rods really got me excited but as time has passed and the styles changed from hot rods to garish painted circus wagons and Easter egg colors,billet everything and giant wheels the shows started loosing their luster,at least in my mind.

I have always migrated to the more traditional styles even though I was totally unaware of it at the time.

NSRA & Goodboys have been a shot in the arm for keeping the hobby alive but they don't get my juices flowing like the did in the early days.

As mentioned in the previous reply,the drive is often more fun that the destination and show. HRP

da34guy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Lone Star Roundup ! It's a good bunch of people and cars . Lots of different types of cars . Good music, swap meet , and people watching . Lots of cruising around Austin . I come from west Texas about 400 miles and always see rods on the road . MHO , Blue

19. Having been to hundreds of shows,races thruout my 83 years..Number one in variety of cars.both junkers to Hi end show cars is the Lonestar roundup..folks from around the world.literally,in attendance..Next would be Bowling Green...and lastly would be CHHR in Bakersfield..Bakersfield is much too large with no organization...and like a fool,I've been back there 10 times..never again.
    Bowling Green has more Willys gassers than I have ever seen or thought was being run,been there 6 times already..Lonestar also has one hell of a swapmeet ,(Indoor)...and being in Austin just adds to it

JOYFLEA likes this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

I wonder if one of the big reasons the big shows with a few exceptions are down in attendance is that alot of us mature rodders "Have Been There, Done That" like you, years ago I hit all the big shows in the Midwest yearly and it just wore out, the high cost of attending, hassle of a large show over rode the "Fun Factor" for me, the only big show I still attend is Back to 50's in recent years. I still attend local cruise's and shows and pick out some new venues to try, Enjoy the ride/travel, our beautiful country roads, small towns, always makes me happy just cruising with friends or alone, recent years, " Me and My Mercury, Just Cruising Down the road" sold my last motorcycle in 2010, taking a ride on a bike was a type of therapy for me all of my adult life, clears your mind, in my later years, my car's are the same outlet.

21. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As with many of the other senior rodders, I attended the NSRA nats, the Goodguy nats, Back to the 50's, and the Grand National for years. The only large show I attend anymore with regularity is the Frog Follies in Evansville, IN. It's a pre-48 only show, 4-5,000 cars, one of the best swap meets around and affordable prices. Been going for 25 years. Otherwise I have switched to the smaller, traditional shows.

22. Many of the big shows have become lawn chair/ motorized scooter shows. I would rather go to a smaller show and watch nostalgia drags or vintage hot-rods doing controlled speed laps in the mud of Latimore Valley Fairgrounds. I swear I think there are almost as many motorized scooters flying around the NSRA Nats East @ York as there are cars! Guess we'll all be there eventually.:(

lothianwilly71 likes this.