Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are the best cheap tires with a narrow white wall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lt1tyrell, Jul 2, 2013.

1. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

Seems like years ago, most cheap radial tires had that narrow whitewall. What is the cheapest tire you guys have found that still has one? Thanks

2. TERPU

TERPU

pep boys has a bunch of great ones.

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The tires will be made in CHINA or INDIA........what do you value your car and safety at ?????

4. 1959apache

1959apache

That is kind of dumb seeing that a lot of repop parts are made overseas and a lot of rubber you use comes from the same two places you mentioned. I am pretty sure me putting 40k mile tires on something I use sparingly would have a better chance on rotting off before they go bad because of quality

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pep boys. Drove the first set to Chicago and back to S.F.on Route 66. I put them back on after my Cokers split open. Still driving on them.

Attached Files:

6. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

I'm running PepBoys narrow wsw radials on the '41 with no problems.

After all, the Japs bought Michelin.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Walmart Marshal 791. They are a good 2 inches narrower than name brand tires of the same size and are close to the old bias ply in width and appearance. They have the narrow white wall, are cheap, and look good on old cars. They are probably about 5 times better than the tires a fifties car came with.

8. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I swore I'd never buy tires that said kook on them, but when I was broke a few years ago I bought a set of 4 Hankook tires. They've done me fine but I'm not proud of them. Pinner white wall on them still looks good.

Devin

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Hankook has an economy line that's less expensive, but still great quality. It's got a 1" whitewall and I just got a pair mounted and balanced for $160. I'm not running the whitewalls out on mine, as it doesn't fit the look on my car. The size I run up front (185-75-14") are a little spendier, as it seems they don't sell enough 14's in this size. If you run 15" they are actually cheaper.
    They're Milestar Touring brand.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  10. fedsrule

fedsrule

I have the milestars on one car
    and Pep Boys Futura's on the other. both have small white walls.
    Drove from PA to TX and back one year. Never had a problem

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

Cooper Trendsetter.

12. Rob68

Rob68

I've been considering the Cooper Trendsetter

Attached Files:

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

I run Cooper's and have had great success. I even use them on my Tear Drop Camp trailer. No problems in more than 36,000 miles to date.
    Normbc9

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

I have Trendsetters on my 61, P215/75R15 with the WW in. I'm very happy with them, plus they're US made to boot. If there's a Big-O tires by you, get them there since they're suppliers. That's where I got mine.

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I had the Coopers also and they worked great. I think the WW on mine was 5/8" which was the narrowest I could find for my old 64' Dart wagon lowrider.

16. Does anyone know if there's a narrow whitewall tire out there for a 16" wheel? I've been trying to find a set, but all I can find are motorcycle tires and ones for 15" wheels.

17. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Cooper trendsetters here too. Discount tire - got a whole set of 235/75/15 for $330 bucks

18. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I run Cooper exclusively on my daily drivers. American owned for starters. Darn good tires to boot.

19. I just started running the Cooper Trendsetters as well. I think I read somewhere this is the tire that Diamondback shaves their whitewall into.

20. db300

db300

Has anyone shaved the whitewall on these to make them bigger?

21. Uh, NO. Michelin is still a French owned, publicly traded company that also owns BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Kleber and Riken among others. They are the largest tire manufacturer in the world (Bridgestone is second)

22. oldsman41

oldsman41

i run coopers on mine. nice tire lasts a long time and gives a nice ride.

23. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Last year I bought a set of Sears Guardian Plus whitewall tires, good tire for a good price.

24. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I've had 2 sets of Hankooks with no problems.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Hankook from PepBoys, had them on my TBird for several years with no problems.

Attached Files:

26. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooper Trendsetters. I like them well enough that I'll replace this set with another set.
    Great ride quality.

27. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

I had a set shaved once, long time ago. Didn't come out very smooth, but looked ok from a distance and after scrubbing them a few times to clean em, started scouring through the white at the outer edges of where they had been cut wider.

28. rld14

rld14

Hankook makes very good tires, they're Korean.

Cooper Trendsetters are bargain basement el cheapo tires.

clem likes this.
  29. jcs64

jcs64

I know Ill get hate for these tires, but its the best my budget could do and Im happy.
    Federal runway 205-75-15
    $320 for 4 shipped!

They wont hit the road for a couple more months so I cant report about them except the WW are 1.25"

[​IMG]

just add the spider caps and there ready to roll
    [​IMG]

jeff

30. Stangilac

Stangilac
    from Orlando FL

My 68 caddy came with some hankooks prematurely worn from bad front end alignment and dry rotted from age. They said made in china which is not my choice tire country. Apparently nobody buys whitewalls anymore so choices are slim. Went to discount tire and bought the same hankook model. Was pleased to find out they were made in korea instead of china but was not pleased at the sidewalls with exaggerated large "hankook optimo" written on them with the ridge texture instead of smooth.

Heres a pic of their ugliness [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013