Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are some of the earliest GM cars with electric oil pressure gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, May 20, 2020.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to convert my 49 Buick's oil pressure gauge to electric since the oil pressure port is on the front PS of the engine. In order to do that, I need to find a donor gauge movement that will fit in the pod. Any ideas? This needs to be something readily available.

Thanks
    Rock

2. PM me so I can get your email. I might have an answer. I can easily send you pictures.

pprather likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Why is it a problem running the original oil pressure gauge, all you need is a new longer oil line to the gauge. I run the stock gauge with my 49 with a 70 Cad 472 with no problems.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because I don't like the look of that piece of copper tubing running all the way to the front of my engine and they are a pain to install and when you remove the engine. A wire is so much neater and simpler.

Last edited: May 20, 2020

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Paint the tubing to match the engine color and it will blend right in.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I think it was some time in the 70s when they switched, and the newer gauges are not built like the old ones, so changing the gauge itself will be tricky. The copper oil line is one of the neat things under the hood of an old car.
    Much more attractive than that big can pressure sensor they used on the electric gauges. But you could just use an idiot light instead, they work ok, too.

Moriarity and rockable like this.
  7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, ok. I know I've got a streak of OCD, it sounds like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. I will just grit my teeth and curse, I guess. :)