Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are my brake options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Law, May 26, 2008.

1. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

He guys, I have a question on brake compatibility. This project is my first straight axel project I have ever done so please forgive my ignorance. I have done a bit of digging but was still unable to find what I'm looking for. So I thought that I would pick the cumulative brain of the HAMB.

Axel is a 32 Ford. I plan on running 32 spindles and would like to know what juice drum brakes I can use. I havent got spindles yet on the off chance that I can or should use a different spindle brake combo.

Or...if someone can just point me in the right direction I can continue to do more research.

Thanks guys!

Rob

2. i suggest you use `37-`48 ford spindles , they go right on your axle and then the brake options are plentiful and easy..from early ford , f-1 and f-100 and numerous aftermarket disc brake kits

3. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

ok, sounds great. What kingpins are needed?

4. Weasel

Weasel

'42-'48 squareback spindles will allow you to use 12" Bendix/Lincoln self energizing drum brakes. The backing plates are available as repops from Bob Wilson at Wilson Welding. They should give you all the stopping power you'll need. Otherwise you would need to grind the hell out of the '37-41 spindles. I used Buick drums with the LZ backing plates.

5. yes, i forgot .. lincolns are an option too..so many choices my head is spinning

oh yeah , use the year of kingpins to match your spindles...

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like my 32 spindles. I just got that adapter from speedway and used 40 brakes .

7. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Order kingpins that match whatever spindles you end up running. If your inclined to get the spindles from a catalog, Speedway sells them with the kingpins already fitted. Or, do what I did, and buy some old Ford ones - they're a quality forging from the factory. They come up in the classifieds fairly often, but they usually go quick, because everyone needs spindles...

8. or you could support the hamb and it's members, Vaphead sell lincolns and other brake kits (Alliance Members get discounts :) ) , among other vendors.