Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are good front tires for a T bucket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monkey, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Santa got me these for Christmas...

[​IMG]

Now I need rubber. Suggestions??? I went by a bike store today and they told me an 18' tire they have will look bulky. The suggested Coker tire.

I heard I need to run a rear motorcycle tire if I go with bike tires. Stronger sidewall. I need this to be drivable for some distances. So it's gotta be practical.

Any help would be appreciated. It's going on this...

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    monkey

2. beatnik

beatnik

I got a set for Christmas too. I'm bought a set of Vintage Motorcycle Firestone 3.50-18 from Coker.

I wanted something with a little more sidewall for Detroit streets and after I saw Dave Shuten's bubble top I decided I liked the look.

I don't know what there going to ride like, cause there still sitting in the basement, but it can't be any worse than the the other cycle tires I've used.

Gus

Attached Files:

3. Just don't use knobby dirt bike tires.

I've always read that motorcylce tires don't wear very well on cars. Is this true and does anyone know the reason why? They sure look good on the right wheels and car.

4. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

I vaguely remember that it has to do with the way bikes turn versus cars. Something like bikes lean in the corners so they don't develop the kind of side forces a car would??

5. nrfleming

nrfleming

bike tires wear real fast, if you decide to go that way look at dennis kirk's web site. a big selection. stay away from dunlop

6. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

I definately want the slinder profile. It's just hard to tell from pictures on web sites what they will look like on cars. I do like the firestones though. Not bad.

Anyone else? Where's all the T-bucket guys?

monkey

7. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Hey Beatnik,

Those don't look too bad at all. I probably could stand a little taller side wall myself. Tulsa roads are ranked 9th worst in the nation. What do you think of the motorcycle tires?

monkey

8. tjm73

tjm73

Attached Files:

9. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

TJM, are the road worthy?? Can they handle miles of highway and the twist and turns of intown driving? I just want to make sure they hold up.

Let me know if you can.

monkey

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like both the wheels but I like the spokes better . Sorry but I do ..

11. tjm73

tjm73

I wish I knew. All I can say for sure is it looks like Radir likes them. For $38 bucks each I'd try them if I had those wheels. Bitchin' wheels by the way!!!

Plus they kinda look period right.

12. heinz

heinz
    from CA

Damn nice wheels. I am using one of those on the back of a bike I am building. Bike tires wear faster because of a soft compound that they are made of to get more traction, or so I have been told. Touring tires are a bit harder and should last longer. Sport bike tires are good for about 5,000 to 7,000 miles on a bike.

13. I've used Avon Gangsters on my car for a long time. The white walls are so thick they almost support the tyre with no air in it!!

14. Radshit

Radshit

15. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Radir also sells a slightly larger tire with a higher load rating, 4.00-18? I'm sure you can get them from other sources.

16. In "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Bishop and Tardel, they addressed that issue. I think that they tried it for a year with the MC front tires. It looked cool, but it had rapid wear, so they went back to a conventional car-style bias-ply front.

17. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Monkey! Those wheels are very dangerous. When we come down in a couple of weeks for the Starbird show I will take them with me and see that they are properly disposed of! For now, I would just put them back in the boxs they came in and store them at Rashys house until I can get there and take them to a secure location where they will not hurt anyone!
    E

18. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Man Boom Boom! What would I ever do without you? Thank you so much for informing me of this. I'll get them to Rashy's right away!

Oh, did I mention when I get them on the car...I'm using lock-tight. They would look totally bitchin on that T of yours!

monkey

19. You might look at some Mickey Thompson "Front Runner" tires. They're bias bly and they have pretty sturdy sidewalls, and they have a rounded over looking tread area, but they wear evenly.

Edit: I should have said Mickey Thompson "Sportsman Front Runners". I think the plain "Front Runners" aren't street legal and are strictly for drag racing.

20. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

I don't know that I would choose to put Cheng Shin tires on a moped.
    Unless, maybe, I was selling the moped to somebody I don't like...

21. kropduster

kropduster

HAHA :D :p so true.... i worked in a bike shop for last 3 years and probably sold 6 cheng shin the whole time i worked there, compared to probably 1000 avon, dunlop(wear crappy on bikes), and metzlers....they gan get pretty cashy though.

if your dead set on bike tires check out the avon speedmasters and speedmaster II's. i'm pretty sure they come in an 18" and have a ribbed tread. they dont seem to wear too bad for a vintage style tire, at least on a bike anyways .....let us know what you decide-good luck

22. swimeasy

swimeasy

If ya get ready to sell the old spoke wheels, please PM me!!!

23. beatnik

beatnik

The new Cheng Shin kind of suck on looks if you find an older pair they look a lot more like what was on all the fuel altereds back in the day.

The new ones have some kind of traingular rib thing going on in the sidewall. I think the Firestones look best for a street car.

Here's a pic of all 3. Old style Chen Sing in the back, Firestone in the middle, and the new Chin Sing in front from Total Performance.

Attached Files:

24. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Man, thanks Beatnik! That really helps. I think I'm going to go with the firestones. Seems they are a little taller sidewall, but with the roads around here it probably wouldn't hurt. It seems like they would be more road worthy as well. I bet i could get more miles out of the firestones and feel a little safer.

What do ya think?

monkey