Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What are 5 of your favorite TRADITIONAL hotrods of all time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 3, 2017.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

barris10.jpg
    "The Emperor" won the 1960 AMBR. Cool story about the young Chuck Krikorian from Fresno building most of the car and then shipping it off to George Barris for the final touches (that nose shouts Barris). Chuck was friends with Blackie Gejeian and was brother-in-law to Richard Peters, who built the Ala Kart before shipping it off to George Barris . . .
    So you have these 3 young Fresno friends who go on to win 4 AMBR awards in a span of 6 years!
    Blackie won in '55 for his Shish Kabob '26 T
    Peters won in '58 and '59 for Ala Kart
    Chuck won in '60 for this '29 roadster.
    Holy shit.

I have read that the '57 Cadillac 406 ci mill produced 550 hp . . . is that right? Holy shit.
    The following pics were taken from the Custom Rodder site:
    0103sr14.jpg
    0103sr13.jpg
    0103sr11.jpg
    0103sr12.jpg
    chuck-11.jpg
    The last pic shows Blackie sitting on the tire. He owned this car for the last 30 or so years of his life.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

This is the car that got me hooked and then my first rod a 40 delux coupe 303 olds the bad part stock drive train and a heavy foot.

Ron Funkhouser and BrerHair like this.
  3. dirt t

dirt t
    from Kingman,AZ

Don't flame me for spelling.
    Tom McMullan 32 roadster
    Norm Grabroski T
    Tony Nancy 22jr
    Craig Breedlove Spirit of America
    Mickey Thompson ............

Ron Funkhouser and BrerHair like this.
  4. brad2v

brad2v
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. I had only recently learned of the connection between these 3 guys. Amazing accomplishment.

BrerHair likes this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll say it again, the Willys gasser or hotrod was a huge favorite and influence to those of us who grew up in the 50s and 60s. Talk about sinister hotrod attitude, these babies have it. There are many to choose from, this is a good one.
    1941 A Gas Willys Fred Hurst.jpg
    Fred Hurst.jpg
    Hurst+Wuertz.JPG

Ron Funkhouser and brad2v like this.
  6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK so it turns out that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Thanks to those vigilant members who reported my OT reply (since deleted) to @metalshapes post . . . OT because the car is OT, cool a hotrod though it is. I'll say it again, thank God (and Ryan) we have well established time limits, one of the cornerstones to this great site. I simply got carried away with the car, being such a fan of Buttera's immense talent. My pint sized brain could not find the right gear, there was nothing there shouting "OT time frame!" That's why I have had a great wife for the past 32 years, I am dangerous on my own. :)

brad2v likes this.
  7. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

Its funny...
    This discussion made me realize something about the difference between a awesome Hot Rod and a truly great one.
    The Lyn Yakel coupe and the Don Wiliams coupe are pretty similar.
    Out of those two the Yakel coupe is the performance oriented one, it would make sense that would be my favorite.
    But for me its is the Don Williams coupe.
    And I cant even put my finger on it why...

I'll say as little as possible about LJB's 3W ( because it is absolutely O/T for the site ), other than that the few changes it got after he sold it would make me walk right by it at a carshow without even noticing it.
    They Boydified it, turning it from a truly great Hot Rod to a car that is as unremarkable as any of that man's products...

And then there is the Chrisman coupe.
    That car was pretty much destroyed when it was turned into a clowncar for a TV show.
    Fortunately a man with taste and vision ( its original builder :) ), restored it back to its former glory...

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and the Bruce/Todd Olson coupe is too. Channeled 5-window with attitude and giddyup. Classic hotrods all 3, surely the favorite of many.

Yakel:
    400px-Lynn-yakel-1932-ford-5-window-coupe.jpg
    400px-Lynn-yakel-1932-ford-5-window-coupe5.jpg
    400px-Lynn-yakel-1932-ford-5-window-coupe9.jpg

Olson:

Bruce-olson-1932-ford-profile.jpg
    400px-Bruce-olson-1932-ford17.jpg
    Both Olson photos lifted from the HAMB, no doubt shot by Bruce or Todd Olson @HEMI32

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    brad2v and metalshapes like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax

something 30 s black, reliable ,quick mild or no chop,steel

10. I have to add my hot rod as it is my all time favorite...... lone star round up.jpg

patmanta, Hamtown Al, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

karlorr.jpg
    Pretty good choice . . . arguably one of the Granddaddy's of them all.
    A few pics from the pictorial posted by @Jive-Bomber:
    lakes09.jpg
    lakes10.jpg
    And another pic taken from the HAMB:
    321.jpg

Hamtown Al, ct1932ford and brad2v like this.
  12. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a kid, I thought the Barris Ala Kart pick-up was the deal. I bought three identical Revell models of that car and my lack of talent assured that none of them did the real car justice. One guy in town painted the Ala Kart model a candy apple red, which really caught my eye. Today, it takes a radically chopped pre-war coupe to get my blood boiling, and it is usually a 33-34 5-window. The 15 oz. Fuel Coupe is probably at the top of that list...I just love its chop, the tire-size contrast, the stance, the set-back engine and the patina. Oddly enough, with all the races and car shows I've attended in California, I've never seen the 15 oz. Coupe in person! I'd drive quite a ways for that honor. The Mooneyham & Sharp 554 is somewhere in my Top 5.

About 40 years ago a magazine ran an article on Al Huber's (Redondo Beach) heavily chopped '34 5-window...a simple street machine painted yellow with crude red flames, original red wire wheels...it looked like a back-yard job that belonged at Bonneville. Soon after I saw it in the magazine, Huber apparently sold it to a fellow in Glendale, where I saw it parked beside a house, always outside and seemingly never moved. I drove by that house every chance I got! I'd be remiss not to mention the SoCal coupe, as well. I'm also liking the '33 coupe that belongs to the gentleman who runs the Rolling Bones shop...that car is my current screen saver. The car was at the last Hot Rod Reunion and I told the owner it was my screen saver. He quickly said, "Well, if that's so, you should sit in it." Very cool!

Hamtown Al and BrerHair like this.
  13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

post 146.png
    Beautiful. Similar to the first hotrod that ever grabbed me in person, on the streets of Miami around 1961, only it was not as refined looking, was a primer-spotted '55 Ford hardtop. This is an under-appreciated class of hotrods I think.

ct1932ford likes this.