The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.
Joe I feel exactly the same ha!
So I had cleaned and painted most of the parts. I did most of the cleaning up with wire brushes on a grinder.
Next job was to mount the wishbones. So I made brackets to mount them to the axle. I shortened the torque tube and move the bracket for mounting the front of the wishbones.
I ended up modifying the rear crossmember to make the car sit a little lower and I also modified the front by removing a
Gradually I cleaned and painted all the parts.
Looking nice, David.
That cleaning and painting sure is tedious stuff. I did auto-body work for a living for a decade but it just isn't the same as putting a car together from parts.
Thanks for the reply Joe. Not only putting the car together from parts but making most of the parts from scratch as well. The hardest part though is that I didn't have a pattern for many of the parts. I am a bit stuck at the moment because I need a measurement from the turtle deck. When I had a turtle deck here I didn't have time or space to work on my rod. Now it's gone I find I need some information I don't have.
Anyone who could be prepared to give me a couple of accurate measurements from an original turtle deck would be much appreciated.
Yes, you certainly are starting from scratch.
I have as well (including the frame and suspension pieces), but mine isn't up to your standards and I'm not a pro so there is a lot less pressure to look good.
Your's will look better than an original, I suspect.
I have a turtle deck here but it's pretty ratty so I'm not sure how correct any of the dimensions are anymore...
Just a quick question. How long did your Torque tube end up?
my 26 on 32 rails
Thank you for the reply. I will see if there is any way to communicate the couple of measurements I need to you, perhaps with a photo. its the panel above the trunk that joins to the body tub that's in question.
I cant remember it was a while ago I will see if I can get a measurement for you .
Nice! I like the coupe's as well.
Another panel I made was the back of the tub...
I formed the bead on my P21 Pullmax.
This was also painted in etch primer to stop it rusting.
I part made the panel at the top of the turtledeck , this is the panel I don't have all the information for. I got to this stage and realised I don't have enough information to finish it.
What info do you need David? Mine is loose. I can dig it out and take some pics and measurements if you need?
Thanks Mike. I need the length at the edge of the panel where it joins the side panel, the edge that the T section trim goes against. On the same panel I also need a measurement under the edge where the trunk lid goes and the distance from that edge to the brace inside. Some photos of the inside strengthening frame would also be very helpful.
I wasn't clear enough about the first measurement. I mean the length from the back edge to the crease in the panel at the front where it joins the tub. You can see on my panel above I haven't defined this area.
Sorry I don’t have a metric rule handy! I will leave it out in case you need anything else.
Oops! Some duplicates in there!
Forgive the highjack, but as long as we're talking tulip panels here I'd love to know if that panel is flat going across the car where it meets the deck lid? My decklid (repro) is flat from side to side, the tulip panel has a bow to it from side to side, and I'm not sure which is correct.
This exagerates it since the deck lid is sitting below the tulip panel but shows the differences in the shape of the decklid vs the panel.
@DesmoDog Definitely curved.
Thank you so much Mike. That is perfect. I can now finish the turtle deck. I have the rest of the body in one piece as I will show in the next few photos. I really appreciate your help.
Its fine (the hijack) great to have all the info you can get. The deck lid was one of the hardest panels I made. The repro deck lids I have seen are single curve but the real thing is compound curve at the back as well as curved where it meets the tulip panel. Not easy to make. It took me three tries.
You’re welcome David. Glad to be of help!
I was never very happy with my first attempt at making the subframe and in my defence at the time I never had an original to copy. anyway I decided to make a new one. I copied the original one I have here now but I didn't make it identical. The profile and dimensions are the same as the original but I made it more in keeping with what I needed to fit a floorpan and to get it to sit on the chassis better. I changes some of the details of the cross section profile. You can see there is simply a lip on the inside to fix a floorpan to.
Here is a few photos showing what is basically a kit of panels ready to bolt together to make up my 27 T roadster body. every single part of this was made here by me. Its been a long old job.
One last photo....
Sooo' glad, you're posting again. I also ... can't wait, until your time, can accomodate, screwing this T together. Once and for all. It's amazing.
As always, thank you, for sharing, sir.
A way to describe the curve is to use the chord method. Attached is a sketch of the devise that picks up the height or depth of the curve.
Separate names with a comma.