Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I have been working on customers cars, building some storage in my workshop and trying to do some filming so I have not had a chance to do much on the 'T' for a few weeks but I have managed to get a bit more done over the last few day.

I have made a start on the doors. I have a very knackered door to work from but I have some profiles taken from the cowl of the tourer I had in for a while to copy and I have some bun panels which will give me the correct profile for the back of the door.

I am making the inner door structures first. I took a pattern from the door I have. I intend to make the doors exactly like the originals in the way they are made with every detail the originals have so I have also made some simple tooling to form the pockets near the hinges and the ones at the top of the door which attach the outer skin. I have made tooling for my pullmax for the small bead that runs around the inside of the door.

I have got as far as cutting out the door frame blanks but have yet to cut the four large holes into them. I will post some photos of my progress soon.

David

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Good to read that you are still at it, when time allows. :)
    I've had no time all summer for my T. :(

3. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Great to hear that you are back at it again. :)

4. I like the sounds of this ... another DVD coming?

5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Life gets in the way, allways too much else to do but I am determined to see this through.

Thanks, some progress, I hope to get a lot more done soon.

Yes I am filming for another one. got quite a bit done but I have no idea when it will be finished though. Its a lot of work to produce a well edited and informative DVD. I try to make mine interesting.

David

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is one of the blanks for the inner structure of the doors. I took a pattern from a really knackered door someone kindly lent me. I am reproducing them as per the originals with all the correct details.

[​IMG]

I cut the rectangular hinge access holes by hand with aviation snips 'cos that was the quickest way even though I have large machines. With only four holes to cut its not worth setting up a machine.

I used my plasma cutter to cut the round holes. I used this attachment with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is the same tool I used to cut the holes in my chassis cross-members.

I did look at cutting these with my pullmax but it will not go down quite as small as these holes. A hole saw is too time consuming on holes as large as this, I could have made a jig and used a nibbler but this worked and is pretty quick. just a little cleaning up to do.

David

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I just decided to look at a collection of photos I have of body parts for these cars and realised there are a lot of variations on the door structure. Anyway I have copied as closely as possible the door I have here.

David

8. Excited to see an update! I spent a little time last week bashing out a new bun panel for mine to see if I could get close. I am reasonably happy with the results and your updates certainly help as far as motivation is concerned :).

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Hi Mike, Bun panels are next after the doors for me. I'm going to post some more photos in a bit.

David

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is the door I have to copy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking through the photos of doors that Ihave there seems to be several designs of door inner structure. This one seems to be more complex than the others but I have copied it now so its all good.

David

11. Well make sure you let us know when its ready. I love the first one!

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers CG I am glad you liked the DVD.

So here is what I have made so far, this has all the details that I found on the original door. The inner structure is going to be made from this one piece.

[​IMG]

All the details in these panels so far were hand formed using only hand tools. I did consider making some press tools but for two doors it was far easier and quicker to form it all with hand tools. Total hours to get the two doors to this stage is about four and a half. That includes measuring and marking out the blanks.

David

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. David, it is good to see some progress on your project! Thanks for taking the time to show us what you're doing.
    The family trip you took is time well spent, you definitely will never regret taking time with your kids.
    Thanks again. We are watching!
    ~Alden

14. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Looks good!

Did you form the top pockets before or after tipping the flange?

15. hasty

hasty

Looking forward to the new DVD. The first one is fantastic - very clear and accessible.

16. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I'm definitely in for the new video. The first was one of the best I have.

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cheers Alden, kids grow up quick, my youngest is 16 and oldest will be twenty one soon so I take every bit of time I can with them.

David

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I folded the flange then beat the depressions into the panel. I made a jig for forming the ones near the top of the doors.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys very nice of you to say so.

I did try to make a DVD that showed the information clearly and I tried to put as much information on it as possible.

David

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I have managed to get a few more hours on the T. I formed the sides on the door structures, these were just folded. I then formed the corners with a hammer and dolly, trimmed them and then welded them.

[​IMG]

Next I stretched the sides of the door frame to the correct curvature...

[​IMG]

Then I put the swage (bead) around the perimeter

I just have to throw the flange and do a little dressing out of the corners then the frames are just about done. Except the cut out for the door latch which I dont have at the moment so I will do it once I have some.

[​IMG]

David

21. Good plan Dave - the repro locks I have didn't line up with all the original holes...

22. oj

oj

I just finished an inner door for mine, by the time i got it hung i have a week in it, the neighbors no longer talk to me and the children give my shop a wide berth.

Back on your cowl, you referred to making a 'rebate' at the firewall. Is that the 'offset' or 'joggle' where the hood would lay?
    You didn't show how you formed that piece, in your conclusion to making the cowl you just said that you had made a 'swage'.

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

David, I hope you understand that you are one of the HAMB treasures. I, for one, am at a loss as to why your last progress post seemed to be neglected, although I suspect it may be nothing more than what ails me, namely trying to manage too many threads.

I'm sure I speak for many here when I say that I appreciate what you are doing, and especially am thankful for you taking the time to post and to share your outstanding skills. I am guilty of letting several months go by before catching up on some threads . . . :eek:

I will join the chorus and say Wow! Very impressive work (as usual). You are an inspiration.

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

This thread needs more pics... man, you're an artist.

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

BrerHair! Thanks! I appreciate your comments, thank you. I am just posting my build thread like many others on here. I do metalwork for a living as you know and I work on some valuable cars so I work to a good standard, its what I do. If people like it and want to comment that is great. I am happy for anyone to just say they read and enjoyed it. I like the chance to show my stuff and if people learn something or enjoy it that is great. Its good to 'meet' like minded people and have a bit of banter even if it is on the 'net. I think this site is great and I enjoy reading other peoples threads and especially some of the builds, there is some great stuff on here. I have learned quite a bit.

Cheers mate!

David

26. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yes I was refering to the area where the bonnet (lol, hood) would lay.The word swage is a sort of catch all (a bit like bead to you). The word rebate is the same as your word 'rabbet'.
    <DT>George Bernard Shaw said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language". :)</DT>

David
    <DD class=author>
    </DD>

Cheers Brent!

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Be happy David. I read, enjoy and am amazed by the metalworking skills you you let us see here. It's always enjoyable to watch a true craftsman use his skills and inspires the rest of us to improve our skill level too. :D

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

like your mindset and and Alfa hidden in the back.

29. austinhunt

austinhunt

Just finished reading this and want to say THANK YOU for taking the time to post.

I have zero knowledge and if it were not for this thread I never would have worked up the courage to pick up a hammer. I cannot add anything to this thread except for questions... but I think the your dvd will be more than I can handle for the next coupe years.

Also thanks to all the others who have provided some very valuble resources for people like me to get started. I wouldn't even know what tool to grab, but I hope to change that soon.

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys! I have been realy busy and have not had time to work on the T lately. Back at it soon I hope.

David